Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 150mm Hardatail Frame – ideas and options
  • Rik
    Free Member

What’s out there these days?

Must be:

-26 inch wheels
    -light (sub 4lb really)
    -sorted slack geometry

Rik
    Free Member

If you take money out of the equation(well everything apart from custom build American made Ti)

Mackem

Chumba HX1 – Those things, and it’s cheap.

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx1/

Rik
    Free Member

Not that keen on that one.

Like I say doesnt have to be cheap. Just wondering whats the current 150mm hartail that people would dream of owning or do own?

andyl
    Free Member

tbh the best I can think of is a Carbon 456 with a slackset.

Anything else is heavier.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Did we not do this one yesterday? 😕

Rik
    Free Member

If we did, where?

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m sure there was a 150mm hardtail option thread yesterday. I’ll see if I can find it.

Yetiman
    Free Member

This is the one I was thinking of…..slightly different requirements tho’

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/150mm-ht-options

cookeaa

tbh the best I can think of is a Carbon 456 with a slackset.

Anything else is heavier.

+1 TBH about the most sensble option and meets all your listed requirements OP…

Of course there is also the 456 Evo Ti if you like burning money…

Rik
    Free Member

Apart from the carbon 456 is not pretty at all!

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you are running 150 forks then assume you want something reasonably strong, so if you’re after light then you probably need to be looking at carbon or aluminium. I’d be thinking a C456 or a Chameleon maybe. Got a Ragley mmmBop here that would fit the bill but they don’t make them anymore.

Edit: Ah I see you want pretty too… hmmm tough.

cookeaa

You didn’t say you wanted pretty too, I think you need ot revise your initial requirements capture…

Most of the pretty ones are steel and hence too heavy.

How’s about a chameleon?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chameleon might be pricey but it’s properly pretty.

vondally
    Free Member

alpine dialled
    stanton slackline
    c 456
    chumba
    chromag samuri
    brodie holeshot
    bFe
    prince albert
    cove stiffee
    santa cruz cham
    genesis abyss

some light but under 4lbs think you are looking Ti or carbon

mrblobby
    Free Member

Most of those are way over 4lbs. And quite a few aren’t ok with 150 forks.

Ti may be worth a look but usually cost over a grand.

messiah
    Free Member

Money no object… Brodie Holeshot Ti or 456 EVO Ti.

vondally
    Free Member

intrested MR b on what you cannot run 150mm on in that list?

Dialled PA the only one i can think of………..

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Ragley Marley is Alu, and will have the geometry you’re after.

Rik
    Free Member

All interesting ideas – and nothing really that I had not thought of.

Wasn’t sure if there was and carbon frames I’d missed but seems that Ti is the way to go.

Shame the Dialled Alpine Ti never made it into production.

Think the Brodie Holeshot is going 650b as I’d the Cove Hummer

Just leaving the Stanton Ti and the Ti 456 Evo which don’t seem to have moved things on that much from the great Ragley Ti/old Ti456

Rik
    Free Member

Any others from the evening shift?

catvet
    Free Member

BTR Belter super slack low and v fast

watsontony
    Free Member

btr. support British frame makers! check there vid out on pinkbike

Rik
    Free Member

Looks like it weighs as much as a full suss frame!

rob2
    Free Member

Rik – I wouldn’t dismiss the chumba. I’ve got one and its excellent. Children and job limit riding but they are really nice frames.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just leaving the Stanton Ti and the Ti 456 Evo which don’t seem to have moved things on that much from the great Ragley Ti/old Ti456

How much are you expecting things to have moved on? a hardtail is basically just 2 triangles welded together.

If you want progression, why not try a full sus?

Rik
    Free Member

How much are you expecting things to have moved on? a hardtail is basically just 2 triangles welded together.If you want progression, why not try a full sus?

Another fantastically helpful STW comment. ‘If you don’t have anything useful to say…………’, you probably don’t know the end of that saying if your still posting comments like the one above!

Materials have moved a long way since those bike – carbon is now normal, stainless has been tested etc etc

Geometry also has changed – The Ragley Ti started a trend for super slack hardtails this has now been refined by some and rejected by others.

Rik
    Free Member

Just trying to ascertain if money was no object (within reason) what would people buy?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hi Rik, I love my hard tails and have had a few of what has been mentioned, Chumba hx1, stiffee and the Pace Rc 325.5.
    Of all I loved the stiffee but they run a standard 1/18 head tube s o fork choice is very limited. If it was my cash I would try to get the Pace. I run mine on 140mm revs, just superb….

mrblobby
    Free Member

If money was no object right now I’d get the carbon Highball, but then I’m feeling like a racey 29er. Like the look of the titus ti 29er thingy too. If I was to be replacing my trail 26er I’d probably get a Chameleon. Not a Santa Cruz fanboy so this is a little surprising!

johnhe

If money was no object, I think I’d be looking at a Ti456.

The Chromag Samurai looks fantastic too, but I’m not sure you’d really be getting so much more for your money than a BFe.

So in my real world, if I did spring for a new hardtail (it would def be 150mm) it would be a BFe.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t quite see the point of a light 150 hardtail myself, but that’s probably one for another thread! 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I can see the point in a reasonably light 150mm forked hard tail, which is why I run an Mmmbop that’s about 25lbs. I’d. Like to change the Mmmbop to something with a lower bottom bracket and a little slacker, but most options are steel and considerably heavier… and I’d rather not add any weight as I like it how it is for where and how I ride.

456 EVO Ti is tempting… but I can’t see if the bottom bracket is lower than the mmmbop since on-one’s listed geometry doesn’t say 🙄
    Brodie Holeshot also tempting but the odd head tube standard is confusing and I like 1.5 and taper forks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Messiah, got a 25lbs mmmBop build here too. Though pretty much always run it at 120 as it feels so much better than at 150, even on steep stuff. Probably more to do with the steeper geo and lower bb. Don’t feel short on travel at 120 and I put a lot of weight over the front.

Edit: in a similar camp regarding replacing the mmmbop. Got it just about spot on so no hope it lives on for a while yet.

Rik
    Free Member

456 EVO Ti – looks very nice and the cheaper end of Ti frame and a 10 year guarantee

Even if you double the price i can find anything similar?

stevede
    Free Member

I’m waiting on my Stanton slackline ti frame, will be built up with 36 floats lowered to 140mm, 1×10, reverb, wide bars, short stem, wheels will be hope hoops – arch ex or flow ex depending what I’m doing on it. Should be a nice fun bike and compliment my enduro nicely. Ticks more boxes than anything else I’ve had – I wanted the moon on a stick: as fun as my old charge blender, as light as my soul and as tough as my old bfe with a slack (ish) head angle, sensible top tube length, short chainstays and a sensible seat tube angle with the forks at 140/150mm. Will post up once I’ve built it and ridden it in anger.

Rik
    Free Member

When you Stanton due?

loum
    Free Member
    stevede
    Free Member

Rik – not sure mate, hopefully next month.

messiah
    Free Member

Never mind the Kingdom Foia… have a look for the Brigante 650b they posted on Facebook. Plan is to do 26/650b/29er versions *drool*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘150mm Hardatail Frame – ideas and options’ is closed to new replies.