Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 150mm forks – quick release or bolt thru?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

A mate has been offered a 150mm Revelation but its quick release. Its second hand. For a similar sort of price he can get a new bolt thru’ Suntour Durolux 140 – 180 travel adjustable fork.

Now, I know the bolt thru will be much stiffer but the revelation probably has better damping.

Is 150mm travel too much for quick release? I’ve never tried more than a 130mm qr fork so can’t advise.

Special_ized_Jamie

Tough one, I love my 150mm Revelations which have a 20mm Bolt through.

I would be put off buying Suntour forks as I haven’t seen any of their new high end stuff or seen any of it reviewed

mooman
    Free Member

Rockshox or Suntour … hmmm? no real comparison there ….

Rockshox every time my friend.

I dont see 150mm being any problem with a qr … rockshox wouldnt be able to sell them if there was.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Second hand is clearly the answer here. Bolt through is the future, and you know it.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Bolt through, after having QR on my old bike, I notice the bike tracks and steers better, more stiff and controllable in every way.

nuke

Bolt through is my preferred option but also depends if your mate’s front wheel can be converted from QR.

z1ppy

If there 150’s them there pretty new, you could always look into a 9mm bolt thru QR if you hub can be converted.
    Suntour are apparently getting better but again I know which I’d buy (if I hadn’t already got 20mm rev’s :mrgreen: )

cynic-al
    Free Member

The difference is not htat great, you lot make it sound like QR is almost unrideable.

It’s fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its just I had some 120mm Reba’s and whether I had them set up right, I don’t know, but they didn’t feel too stiff.

The Revs would be a similar chassis?

Similar to other posters, can’t find many good reviews on Suntour stuff.

higgo
    Free Member

The difference is not htat great, you lot make it sound like QR is almost unrideable.

It’s fine.

The difference isn’t that great but it’s there. I used to have Revs on one bike and Pikes on another – both air uturn. I always thought the Revs were pretty stiff. Then I put the Pikes on the HT that normally had the Revs. Wound down to 130mm like the Revs I felt a small but noticable difference. Yes, I know the mind is a wonderful thing.

However…. given the choice between 150mm QR Revs and 140-180mm Suntours run at 150mm, I’d go for the Rev. If your mate has never tried a bolt-through, he’ll not notice the small difference.

jools182
    Free Member

we all survived on QR for years and years

if I were buying new it would be bolt thru, but in your case I’d probably stick with rockshox

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t feel like I have as much faith in a QR so I tend to ride better with 20mm maxle. I know it’s probably mostly psychological but I’m a lot more comfortable on the bike which is never a bad thing.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I rode QR for yonks, never a problem. Nowadays I ride a 150mm Z1SL-forked 456SS and they are QR too. Why? Because they were waaay cheaper and I can’t tell the difference in stiffness. And it’s easier to take the wheel off to stick it into the car.

scotabroad

Revs, great forks.

Northwind

Higgo – Member

“The difference isn’t that great but it’s there. I used to have Revs on one bike and Pikes on another – both air uturn. I always thought the Revs were pretty stiff. Then I put the Pikes on the HT that normally had the Revs. Wound down to 130mm like the Revs I felt a small but noticable difference. Yes, I know the mind is a wonderful thing.”

Pikes would be stiffer than Revs even if they had QRs, you’re comparing apples and oranges. I had QR and maxle Revs and there was a fairly trivial difference but I stopped noticing it after maybe 2 rides, so I went back to QR for the weight reduction.

Buuuuut, the latest 150mm Rev is long and light and not massively stiff, so I reckon QR might be more noticably bendy than with the old ones. I get the feeling they were designed more with bolt-in in mind whereas the old ones had it added later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘150mm forks – quick release or bolt thru?’ is closed to new replies.