Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 150mm 650b… alternatives to Saracen Ariel?
  • Digger90
    Free Member

Rode a 150mm travel Saracen Ariel 650b with 150mm RS Pikes this morning – and was completely blown away by its performance, handling and pedal-ability. Just an incredible bike that seemed good everywhere – swoopy singletrack, climbing and descending.

Having owned various generations of Turner 5 Spots for years (my current model being a 2010) and watched as the industry moved on to 29ers, 650b, and slacker geo’s it all rather passed me by. I bought a 29er a year ago and sold it after 2 months, absolutely hating the ponderously wallowy steering and what I felt was clumsiness of it all.

But I am seriously impressed by the Ariel. Before I go bonkers and buy one, has anyone ridden one back-2-back versus something they thought even better?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth looking at a Stumpy in tweenerwheelerflava certainly. The Spesh dropper is a bit average, but bike overall rides very well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That I’ve ridden?
    Rocky Mtn Altitude with the adjustable geometry chip.

drovercycles
    Free Member

The Ariel is a great bike. Wouldn’t want to put you off one at all.

The other option I’d recommend is a Pyga Pascoe – 140mm rear optimised for 150-160mm forks.

rp16v
    Free Member

Maby a trance 27.5 in any flavor is a very capable bike

tomhoward

Lapierre spicy/zesty, depending what you’re riding focus is. If you can get one with an ei shock, mores the better.

Or a bronson.

Digger90
    Free Member

My ride focus is fast, pretty aggressive style. Love swoopy single track, rough as hell, and smallish jumps.

tomhoward

Zesty then.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Banshee Spitfire of course

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I ride the 26 wheel version of this

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/mtb/all-mountain–tour/granite-chief/

Brilliant bike.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The Granite Chief 2, full xt plus pikes for £1900 is bargainous

tomaso
    Free Member

Rose is good, other options on my list for same thing includes
    YT Wicked is £1900 with X11 Reverb and Pikes
    Canyon Strive Race CF is £3k
    Mondraker Dune is all about the frame at £2.5K with Pikes but utter poverty spec with spline cranks and 9 speeds!
    Nukeproof Mega is worth a look if you ride hard and heavy – can be had for £2.1K
    Whyte G150 is very sprightly at £2.5K with Reverb
    Kona Process 153 is a very sweet package at £2.8K

I dismissed all of the above and bought an Enduro 29er…

daver27
    Free Member

You know you want an Ariel… It suited you!
    The Spesh stumpjumper 650 is a Spesh, and a poor attempt at jumping on the bandwagon that Specialized missed.
    Just get an Ariel!

kinger

Am loving my Ariel, having built up a 15x frame – comes in at 28.5lb with 1×10 and a dropper so happy with that for a 150mm bike. Got me up some techy climbs in the Peak yesterday, and is a great laugh back down again!

tomaso
    Free Member

Winstanleys have them down from £2899 to £1999

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘150mm 650b… alternatives to Saracen Ariel?’ is closed to new replies.