Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 150/160mm Hardtail Frame – Opinions etc?
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So I want to upgrade my hardtail from 100mm and will be needing a new frame and forks – I’m just going to swap everything else over.

I’ll be subjecting it an 18 stone battering so strength is a plus for me.

Any opinions oh gurus?

xiphon
    Free Member

Budget?

New or second hand?

Size?

frank4short
    Free Member

SC Chameleon should take just about all the abuse you can throw at it and will comfortably take 150 forks.

_tom_
    Free Member

NS Surge is designed for upto 180mm forks apparently. Really fun bike to ride, much better than something like the BFe imo. I wouldn’t go above 140 on a HT though, just feels awful. Even that’s probably pushing it a bit.

wrecker
    Free Member

Blue pig X will take up to 150mm. I just so happen to have an 18″ fame for sale…….

loum
    Free Member

Ragley troof is designed for forks that big, and taking batterings.

hambl90
    Free Member

Cotic bfe

mikewsmith
    Free Member

chvck
    Free Member

NS Surge is designed for upto 180mm forks apparently. Really fun bike to ride, much better than something like the BFe imo. I wouldn’t go above 140 on a HT though, just feels awful. Even that’s probably pushing it a bit.

On the flip side I’ve owned both (same setup just swapped frames over) and prefer the BFe. However I prefer it at 140 to 160, I’m going to try it at 120 soon too!

_tom_
    Free Member

I found the 125mm mark on my Pikes about right for the BFe. I just found the BFe a bit dull to ride whilst the Surge seemed more lively to me.

chris_db
    Free Member

18″ New or Second Hand.

Sorry, should have thought of that….. 🙄

float
    Free Member

if its 150/160mm your looking at its got to be the ragley troof/bagger

chvck
    Free Member

I found the 125mm mark on my Pikes about right for the BFe. I just found the BFe a bit dull to ride whilst the Surge seemed more lively to me.

Heh guess that shows each to their own as I thought the BFe felt livlier and generally had more feel to it! I’ll give 125 a go once I convert my forks to uturn! I also agree with _tom_ about hardtails using over 140mm travel.

Neb

I’ve an Orange Crush frame for sale if that would be of interest? Its built like a tank and will take 160mm forks.

its a lovely frame just a bit big for me at 19″.

chris_db
    Free Member

Neb, my email is in my profile, what condition and how much etc?

Chris

messiah
    Free Member

I have a 160mm travel hardtail (Ragley Troof)… it’s a very blunt tool which only really comes to life when the going gets gnar… it takes a particular terrain and riding style to justify such a beast IMHO and MHE etc.

A 130/140mm travel hardtail like the Ragley Mmmbop I had before is a much more rounded entertainer… can do all the beast can but a little slower and with a bit more added mince.

Loads of frames out there to take this fork length… Cotic Befe/Ragley Blue-Pig/NS Surge/Orange Crush/Saracen Zen/Chameleon as suggested above. Ragley currently very cheap at CRC.

Forks with 15 or 20mm bolt through are a good idea… and a dropper post is a wonderful thing indeed for rolling terrain and maximising fun without having to stop to lower the seatpost… so worth checking your frame can take one (seatube of 30.9 or 31.6 for the best ones).

Enjoy!

Neb

it’s in good condition, a wee bit of chain slap on the chain stay. I’ll take some photos of it tonight and send them to you.

cheers

spuddle
    Free Member

Orange crush frames are only warrented up to 150mm forks, not 160

also, id recommend a stanton slackline 😀

duffmiver
    Free Member

evil sov

RobHilton
    Free Member
    bungalistic
    Free Member

I’ve owned both surge and bfe. The surge is a decent frame that’ll take 160mm forks but will feel horrid to climb on. bfe frame feels pretty similar but feels a little more suited to longer days in the saddle. Both go down hills great with a 160mm fork but travel adjust is favourable for getting back up. I’d be tempted by that slackline or even the Production Privee Shan frame as both look a right blast.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx1/

Ran one of these with talas 140mm forks until recently, brilliant frame for the cash.

boltonjon

I’ve been running a carbon 456 for the last few weeks and i’m mighty impressed

However, i’ve only ridden with 140mm forks – but they are capable of taking 160mms

There were a batch on the On-One website for £250 – bargain of the century – but it was in bright yellow!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

BFe

bungalistic
    Free Member

Should of said “Steel is real”, never been a fan of the alu hardtails

BillOddie

Ragley Blue Pig works really well with 150mm Revs. Would be fine with a 160mm fork too I would think. The SA would still be steep enough to climb reasonably well.

alaric

Pipedream Moxie?

sv

My Surge 2 frame! My forks only wound out to 140 but it climbed very well at that. As has been said it’s fun and agile, bb height doesn’t suffer with the longer fork.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Got to be said again, the Dialled Alpine is ideal for this and I am selling mine as I am not gnarly enough for it!

blob
    Free Member

Nicolai Argon FR 😀

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

You *need* this:

http://www.darksidezoo.com/war08.html

Darkside only sell their Junkyard frame nowadays. Shame.

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Bagger 288 from CRC is at bargain basement prices.

I was trying to sell mine but realised only recently CRC were selling them for far less than I was asking.

chiefgrooveguru

Bagger 288 looks fun! Low BB compared to most (except its alu sister the Troof). However I’m not sure a low BB matters as much as the mags make you think – just bend your legs a little more on steeps/corners and enjoy the reduced pedal strikes when pedalling! 😉

craigxxl
    Free Member

Evil Sovereign, I run mine at 150 on Lyriks and it will take your 18 stone with ease

souldrummer
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine. I run mine with 150mm on the front and it is great fun. Great for the North Downs, great for trail centres and great for the Alps. What’s not to like?

chris_db
    Free Member

So, thanks for all the posts – a varied set of responses!

I have gone for a Blue Pig X (CRC – new and cheap) and a pair of Fox Float 32 140mm (open bath – cheap ex-demo from Fulford Cycles in York).

I’ll put up some pics and thoughts once it’s rolling.

Cheers

Chris

craigxxl
    Free Member

You’ll find the Fox 32 very flexy at your weight. Revelations would have been a better bet

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘150/160mm Hardtail Frame – Opinions etc?’ is closed to new replies.