Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 150/160mm AM bikes
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

thinking about getting something bigger than my fuel ex to spend more time in the saddle next year rather than doing trackdays, so looking for opinions on the above.

options that i’ve thought of are:

Cotic rocket (booked on the calver Demo day next month)
    Trek rememdy (rode one at FoD, feels a lot like a fuel ex but with more travel)
    Canyon Strive (not met anyone with one to discuss)
    Lapeirre spicy (can get my hand on one to try but haven’t yet)
    Nukeproof Mega (mildly put off after reading the review in issue 76)

any suggestions as to how the canyon feels? or anything else to throw into the hat to try?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Top of my list would be either the Specialized Enduro or a Stumpy Evo. I’e a Marin Wolf Ridge running 160mm forks as my big bike and it’s pretty good, but things have moved on in three years. The Stumpy Evo seems to fit the one bike for all occasions bill pretty well too.

therag
    Free Member

Brilliant deals on the nukeproof mega pro on crc. Just look a bit poor with the stickers on.
    I was about to buy one but then went for a transition covert.
    Havnt spent much time on it yet due bad back but first impresion is What a bike!

dan45a
    Free Member

For a160mm bike take a look at the YT industries wicked ltd. the spec alone is awesome for £2300 plus the fact the frame geometry is spot on. If I was buying again that would have my money.

smiff
    Free Member

Titus El Guapo now available complete build for £2000, from on-one.
    a true AM bike in the sense that it climbs really well. see lots of other threads for details.. only Mega is close in price afaik?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

another mcnninjas cast-off?! 🙂

El Guapo and Mega are top of the tree for VFM. I think my Alpine 160 is brilliant, but if I was in the market I’d have a serious look at the Cotic just because it looks so ‘right’. Needs white forks to match the decals 😉

Mate has a Covert and they are stonking for the money; US niche for a fraction of the price, nicely built, he test rode a load and that came out top for ride feel, and they seem to have good customer support in the way of Turner and Ibis.

geetee1972
    Free Member
    mildred

Yep second that. Bargain to be had there.

3rd that, but would also add that having recently bought something from him, Leon is a good bloke to deal with. If it had tapered or 1.5″ I would have snatched it from him at that price..!

stufive
    Free Member

ID say Orange five AM but then im biased cos ive got one, indistructable

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I had a fuel ex. Just sold it and ordered a canyon strive esx 9sl. Waiting for it to turn up, exciting!

There are few reviews but it’s hard to argue with the value; 2.5k bike with crossmax sx, talas FIT, rp23, reverb, X0 etc. I considered an enduro, mega and spicy as well. Would love a spicy; but HOW much? 🙂 Dirt seem to love the strive, so fingers crossed I’ve made the right choice

Hanky

Well I’ve just been through this, some good suggestions above. I had a very similar list in my head and my top two ended up being the Mega and the Rocket, albeit I didin’t get to test ride the Covert.

So after a lot of thought, I’ve bought Mega for overseas travel with a downhill focus. Previously spoken to a few owners and they seem universally happy even after the honeymoon period.

I was very encouraged by the Article in issue 76, and not bothered by marmite opnions on the Monarch rear shock. I’ve already got a coil Fox which will fit if necessary and the VFM for a complete bike and equipment level on the Pro model bike in the CRC sale was a big factor, plus the overseas shipping.

I’ve also riidden the Rocket on a demo day – loved it and like the design, engineering and aesthetics. So much so that I’m still considering buying a frame as soon as I’m back in the UK long enough to swap parts over from current bike.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Very interested to hear what the strive feels like.

Looking forward to testing the cotic though having read so much about them…

deadkenny
    Free Member

In the hat – Nomad. Or a Blur LT at a push (140 travel, possibly can go 150).

stufive – Member
    ID say Orange five AM but then im biased cos ive got one, indistructable

When you make bikes from girders, they’re definitely going to be tough 😛

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Friend has a five and as much as he likes it, I can’t bring myself to buy a matching filing cabinet. SC bikes I may need to look at…

stufive
    Free Member

Pha 😉

Twin
    Free Member

I’ve had a strive for two whole days now, been out twice and am really impressed. It climbs really well, though I have got the es9 with the Talas. Tried a bit of climbing with the forks at 160mm, it wasn’t too bad, just a little prone to lifting at the front on really steep bits (cwmcarn), but in 120mm mode was ace. The downhill was incredible, My last bike was a Meta and I loved it downhill, but the strive is significantly better – I’ve never enjoyed a lap of Cwmcarn so much.

Value wise, you can’t beat it – less than £2500 for a bike with full X0 kit, Talas, RP23, Crossmax SX wheels and a reverb.

And no horror stories with delivery either – 10 days from order to delivery.

chojin
    Free Member

Millhouse: Go for a Five… Then you’ll have a matching pair. You know… His ‘n Her’s 🙂

And what’s all this about less track days??!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

there is a “no filing cabinet” rule in my man cave!!

and less trackdays = more fun/time on the trails as i’ve really missed it this year.

M6TTF
    Free Member

another mcnninjas cast-off?!

Quite a few on here 😉

chojin
    Free Member

I’m not sure I want to know whats inside your “man cave”.

An Intense Tracer 2 would still get my vote.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

160mm is last years “AM”.

2013 is all about 180mm

M6TTF
    Free Member

That YT ltd is incredible value – the bos forks are 900 quid alone

chojin
    Free Member

Quite a few on here

*cough*

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Ninjatrackworld?

br
    Free Member

thinking about getting something bigger than my fuel ex to spend more time in the saddle next year

if I wanted to spend more time in the saddle, I’d ride the Fuel EX, not a heavier bike…

M6TTF
    Free Member

Love my fuel ex – 2009 model, only let down by the shite tyre clearance in the rear. Most modern high volume 2.2,s foul the swing arm

M1llh0use
    Free Member

oooh!!

YT industries Wicked 160 LTD looks VERY interesting!!

Northwind

You haven’t really said what it’s for…

crashtestmonkey – Member

Ya know, for ages I thought McNinjas was a scottish forum :mrgreen:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ya know, for ages I thought McNinjas was a scottish forum

…only for about the first year I used it… 😳

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Well the strive turned up. I’ve not taken it out of the box yet as I’ve just had an op which means no lifting for at least a few days!

What I have done is got the very large pack of accessories and manuals out and had a good look. You can tell you’re dealing with a precise German company. There’s a manual for everything, all the accessories for fitted parts you’d expect to get on a retail product. E.g. The crossmax wheels have the tubeless valves, all the adapters for different axel standards and even a 5mm qr even though the frame and fork are 20mm.

They even supply a torque wrench to assemble everything which is a nice touch. Have said that I’ve yet to see anything with recommended fork and shock pressures or info on setting sag; given I know how to do this but it seems like a strange omission

Twin
    Free Member

For some reason, Fox only supply a load of “We must supply this safety & disclaimer crap so you can’t sue us” stuff and nothing else in the box of a new fork/shock. Not just mine, my mate bought the 2013 34mm TALAS and there was nothing in the box either. It would appear all manuals are online.

Twin
    Free Member

Oh, and Canyon must read the posts on here as valves and logos were very much aligned

dan45a
    Free Member

Keep an eye on this article from dirt for the YT:-

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/the-once-over-yt-industries-wicked-160-ltd.html#

I saw the demos of it in morzine and the locals/residents were impressed!!

Mugboo

Stufive I know a couple of peeps who would argue with the indestructible tag. I know of one that lasted just 7 months..

Carpediem
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2010 Spesh Enduro for the last few years, and ridden at Afan, the Masts and Cwmcarn mostly.It’s been more than enough to handle these places.

It’s climbs really well.Only noticed it lifting one one stupidly steep section at Afan.

Suppose everybody is going to recommend the big they have though.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah that YT is first bike i’ve seen that’s a real challenge to EG for value 😯

honestly knowing what i know now i wouldn’t really even look at the big brands, not to be a snob, they just don’t have the value that the newer european and uk “direct to customer” brands have (and i rode Trek for years ok!). other hand if you like test rides and lbs support there’s a place for those too 🙂

also this all changes if you get a good frame deal like bikescene does with spesh or go 2nd hand..

mboy
    Free Member

This looks the mutts nuts for the price!

Not ridden one (though hopefully will do soon), but certainly looks the part… Heard good things about the forks too!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Anyone know the rear axle standard for the wicked 160 ltd?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I think it’s supposed to be 142×12

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘150/160mm AM bikes’ is closed to new replies.