Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • £1500ish for a road bike..
  • anto164
    Free Member

.. What would you get?

I’m upgrading from my basic spec roady which cost me less than £500.

I’m hoping for at least 105 groupset, and a decent set of wheels on a good frame. A carbon frame would be lovely.

I know that i may have to spend more than that to get a decent bike. Looking for a bike that i can bang out the miles on. Not too fussed whether it’s a racey geo or not. For the price though, i think staying away from racey bikes would be the way to go.

RealMan
    Free Member

Put that together for about £1500. Normal spec ribble with ultegra and rs10 wheels £1200, bought a pair of rs80s for £330. Could sell the rs10s, but will probably use them to build a winter bike. So that’s carbon frame, forks, seatpost, and wheels. Wheelset is about 1500g (haven’t weighed them), and I haven’t weighed the bike either yet, but it is quite light.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RealMan
    Free Member

That planet x doesn’t look particularly great, you don’t get ultegra brakes or cassette, and fairly cheap (if decent) wheelset.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Extra £35 gets you an Ultegra cassette and Mavic Aksiums.The planet x caliper are very good tbh.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

These are realy nice in the flesh and pretty good VFM.

Cube Agree

BTW Planet x have a really nice looking frame in the mix if you are in no rush.

lazybike
    Free Member

canyon AL9.0…got to be worth a look

RichPenny
    Free Member

What size are you? Have a carbon Bianchi 928c2c Veloce for sale, for plenty less than £1k. Email if interested, sorry for interruption if not 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Canyon prices are in euros,you could get one of the carbon ones for £1500 (and a smidge).
    Liking that new Planet x.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Canyon AL 8.0, (I’d rather had 11 speed Campag than Ultegra),

anto164
    Free Member

ooooooo, custom build on a planet X sounds fun.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go on the Ribble bike builder.Make sure you hav’nt got anything planned for the next couple of hours though 🙂 . Its quite addictive.

GJP
    Free Member

Try to find a deal on a 2011 Felt F5 – £1700 RRP. Wheels are crap – live with them for 12 months and then buy some new ones.

warton
    Free Member

Canyon is the way to go. Friend has cf ultimate, I have aeroad cf 9. Two of the most sorted bikes we’ve ever ridden. You could get the cf ultimate for a touch over 1.5k

swiftyx2
    Free Member

Hi,
    Not sure if you are interested?, but I have an awesome Bianchi that might be up for sale?.
    My bike is fab spec full Ultegra and special wheels. It’s mint and has only done a couple of rides.
    Not used as injury forced me to stop riding it.
    Drop me a mail if interested, swiftmk2@hotmail.co.uk.

Steve

aracer
    Free Member

<G.R.F>
    You’re a load of gayers. Get off my roads.
    </G.R.F>

MrTall
    Free Member

I just got a ‘basic’ Canyon Roadlite 6.0 for a frankly bargaintastic £869. Full 105 groupset with Ultegra front and rear mechs, Mavic wheels, Ritchey Finishing kit and even Conti GP4000s tyres.

Can’t fault it, rides beautifully and is very light (considering the low price and 66cm frame size!). Could only imagine how good the more expensive bikes in their range are. Mine arrived in less than 2 weeks as well and their service was excellent.

RealMan
    Free Member

and 66cm frame size

Pics please (I love your bikes..) 😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

Frame wise i’d be tempted with the ones on ebay (which looks very similar to planet x)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/carbonzone

and built up

mikey74
    Free Member

If you can stretch a bit further, I’ve just got one of these:

Kuota Kharma

It’s a fantastic frame, and rides beautifully.

damo2576
    Free Member

@tricky – how is that frame and how does it ride to compared to what else you’ve had? looks nice!

MrTall
    Free Member

Realman – think you may be getting me confused with Tootall and his 72cm Cannondale (a bike only it’s mother could love), i’ve never posted a pic of my bikes, simply because i have no idea how to… 🙂

My 66cm Canyon is thankfully far less ugly than i thought it would be.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

If second the kharma…I’ll do you a SRAM apex one for 1500 1600 would get you a SRAM rival version.also have a look at the ridley Orion with full campag veloce for 1500

My 2p

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Im currently building up one of these: http://dengfubikes.com/product.asp?id=1&classid=21

The frame & forks were £315 posted, a SRAM rival groupset was £427 from merlin, I got some planet x model B wheels for £125 and the finishing kit is all lightish weight stuff. It will come in around the £1000 mark I think.

If you spent £1500 on one you could get a well flash wheelset or better groupset, could be the way to go.

trickydisco
    Free Member

damo2576

Unfortunately it’s not mine!.. Found it on the bikeradar site and have read good reviews about the frame.

looks very nice

i have a planet x 🙂

anto164
    Free Member

Had a quick jump on one of these today..

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Super-Six-105-2011-Road-Bike_39617.htm

Fits nice, and i’ve read many a good review.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘£1500ish for a road bike..’ is closed to new replies.