• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by irc.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • £15,000 of public money to live in Glasgow ‘art’
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

London artist paid £15,000 of public money to live in Glasgow for a year for ‘art’

So she’s getting paid a big ‘WOD’ of cash from the tax payer for art. It’s taking the urine, but this is not the first time that public money has been used on some tosh.

If you could get £15000 of public money, what would you request it for.

I for one would like to study the nocturnal habbits of a ‘Welshfarmer’ i think the cash would be enough to get his wife to stay in a hotel for the duration.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Are you proposing adultery Mrsfry? 😯

matt_outandabout

I am putting a plan together to be able to contrast this experience.

£130k for me to live in Monaco for the year.

For the sake of art, obvs.

Leku
    Free Member

I hope she has a lovely year and makes some interesting and insightful work because of it.

But then I did go to Art College…

rusty90
    Free Member

Too much money spent on art and not enough on science. Not a jot of funding so far for my social psychology project Alcohol consumption in rural Wales – a participant observation study

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

did you miss the most artistic part where she heroically offered to donate the £15k grant in return for being able to take a paid leave of absence from her day job (£25k+)?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I demand a return immediately of my 0.0005 new pence, NOW!

fasthaggis
    mrsfry
    Free Member

@Hammyuk Of course not (so shocked my monocle fell out I’m proposing me getting some night vision goggles and drilling a hole through the loft above his bed. You know, normal stuff.

PS

One has to be ‘Middle class’ to get funding

slowoldman

Too much money spent on art and not enough on science

Not enough money spent on either.

ninfan
    Free Member

The Glasgow Effect is is year long ‘action research’ project / durational performance, for which artist Ellie Harrison will not travel outside Greater Glasgow for a whole year (except in the event of the ill-health / death of close relative or friend).

By setting this one simple restriction to her current lifestyle, she intends to test the limits of a ‘sustainable practice’ and to challenge the demand-to-travel placed upon the ‘successful’ artist / academic. The experiment will enable her to cut her carbon footprint and increase her sense of belonging, by encouraging her to seek out and create ‘local opportunities’ – testing what becomes possible when she invests all her ideas, time and energy within the city where she lives.

The Glasgow Effect is funded by Creative Scotland through the Open Project Funding Programme and supported by Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design. Follow all the action at: http://glasgoweffect.tumblr.com/

The comments on the Facebook page are diamond 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member

Spend it on
    chips?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Personally I believe it should be spent on the “Art of Fermentation” which incorporate the “Science of a good fryup” I reckon I could do all of that for £15K spend a year, provide receipts and not give up my Tax paying day job. Win Win.

I could do side project in “Why does MattOAB answer only 1 in every 3 text messages he receives” 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

PHEW!! Thought for a moment there you were leaving me.
    It took you so long to hack my cctv after all…..

matt_outandabout

“Why does MattOAB answer only 1 in every 3 text messages he receives”

😳

bencooper
    Free Member

The comments on the Facebook page are diamond

I still reckon it’s an interesting and clever art project on how easy it is to wind some people up.

A bit like STW 😉

matt_outandabout

“Why does MattOAB answer only 1 in every 3 text messages he receives”

My texting average just went up. 8)

mrsfry
    Free Member

Funding directory for visual artists and composers

I have a camera. Maybe i could get a grant to portray pie comsumption of STW memebers. I shall have a gallery of tastefully nude members caputerd mid chomp . Of course i will have to do a deal with Greggs and get a few samples (for research)

ninfan
    Free Member

Ben – it’s more like a Rab C Nesbitt storyline 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s incredibly difficult to get money out of the government for art and not something you undertake frivolously or lightly, in my experience at least.

It’s easy to joke about when you get a clickbait friendly title and limited information on the project but most people would get 30 seconds into the application form and realise it’s not free money, and most likely beyond them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I met a man once that had never left the Isle of Dogs. He didn’t receive a grant though.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’ve been working in the sciences for too long, where millions at a time are given in grants to seemingly pointless projects, so £15,000 here seems like nothing. Good luck to her, although as a weegie myself I’m not sure there’s much to learn by staying within Glasgow.

fasthaggis

I shall have a gallery of tastefully nude members caputerd mid chomp

Thanks for spoiling my afternoon with that image 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

As a lapsed Weegie Soap Dodger myself I can’t actually imagine that it doesn’t offer all that you need, it has all the conveniences of any modern western city as well as a substantial contribution to Art and Culture. IMO it would be better for her to go live somewhere like Oban or Aberystwyth* where modern conveniences are not so easy to come by and “staying with the confines of the town limits” would be much more, well, limiting. Shirley that is going to do more to investigate a

sense of belonging

*Neverbeen – could be great, could be a shytehole.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oban’s great, I’d be happy to go for a year. I’d love to see how long she’d last in Ardrossan or Saltcoats though

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s incredibly difficult to get money out of the government for art and not something you undertake frivolously or lightly, in my experience at least.

This is true. I worked in arts organisations for six years and it’s not quite as simple as to con the government into throwing money into art.

That said, my own project entitled N+1, a living study could well do with some funding in order to be realized. Naturally, my exhibits will need a patina of mud and trail dust in order to look as authentic as possible.

Olly
    Free Member

How much do our illustrious mps each claim for second homes in London?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think she’s already suffered from the Dundee Effect as she certainly looks like a native in those pictures.

irc

Oban’s great, I’d be happy to go for a year. I’d love to see how long she’d last in Ardrossan or Saltcoats though

At least you have the seaside there. And nice views across to Arran. I think a year in Cumbernauld would be far more of an artistic challenge.

cbike
    Free Member

Poorly communicated, although her marketing is spot on. Chip’s are a low blow, but whole communities that would never have heard of it without that image now know. I don’t think commenting on her appearance is neccessary. She once used a conference bike to engage with the youth and politicians. I suggested that to loads of people when I had mine but no one ever “got it”

Anyway, It’s totally wound up the arts community up here and they are all worried it might jepordise their own funding in future. It will be fine.

I love it. The funding that these people obtain eventually ends up transformed into bicycles by me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

At least you have the seaside there. And nice views across to Arran. I think a year in Cumbernauld would be far more of an artistic challenge.

Dunno, bottom end of Stevenston* vs Seafar, tough call…

Actually scrap that, whilst there are nice bits of Saltcoats and Ardrossan Cumbernauld is a shithole in its entirety, send her there. Or Fife.

* if you’re going to bring the three towns into it at least do it properly

richmtb

Dunno, bottom end of Stevenston

Just shoot the poor woman and get it over with!

irc

I see from her earlier work that she will at least be able to blend in with the natives.

If the Glasgow Effect is up to the same standard it’s worth every penny.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘£15,000 of public money to live in Glasgow ‘art’’ is closed to new replies.