Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • £1500+ XC Hardtail
  • roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Hey y'all. Am just about to go off to the climbing wall and have been looking for some ideas for an XC Hardtail for around the £1500 mark. So far I've been impressed with the Trek 8000 and have even been tempted to up the ante to go for the 8500.

As a rough guide for what I'm looking for…
    I'd like an aluminium frame, a Fox Fork, an XT(ish) groupset but most importantly I'm looking for an arse up, head down oh-my-god-this-hurts-but-it's-efficient kind of riding position. So…answers below… (oh and I'm 6"2 and a bit long legged at that!)

Thanks in advance for all the help!

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, but steel is real…

Get yourself a Genesis Altitude, the extra frame wright will be more than made up for by a super sweet handling frame and brilliant spec…

Or get a whyte 19 steel… Gorgeous bike!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Stumpjumper Comp HT is bang on your budget.

I like them so much that I have two.

sofatester
    Free Member

2:1 Odds that there will be 10 different answers within the hour 😉

richcc
    Free Member

Again – not ally but I'd talk to Sideways and get a Cotic Soul build

finners

stumpy +1

peckerontour
    Free Member

I bought a cotic soul then spent 9 months sifting thru STW to build it up as a mean xc bike xtr, hope, king, crossmax, marozzochi, thompson raceface easton etc…… any yes it cost me bang on 1500!!!! absolutly love it!!!!! all in black too 😉 go cotic go go go!!!!!
    god bless STW x x x

ratherbeintobago

Cannondale Flash Alloy F1?

Not that I am in any way biased…

Andy

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I think that you'll need something a bit lighter than the average STW "steel is real" machine (saying this as someone who owns steel hardtails and road bikes).

If it was my money, this is what I'd buy.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p2294

XTR/XT bits, very good wheels, Float RL forks and a carbon frame that's £1350 on it's own anyway.

Pauls also have the alloy equivalent (XTC Zero) for £1300.

The 20" will fit you. I'm 5'11" and ride a medium Anthem but am right at the top end of that size. The Large is a big bike and will suit you perfectly. FWIW the Anthem is ludicrously fast but the XTC is also great.

njee20
    Free Member

Go onto eBay, search for 'Carbon MTB Frame', go to the international sellers and take your pick!

Get a SID fork and an SLX or XT group and you're away, under budget, and far lighter/better specced than the other options.

angryratio
    Free Member

I'd build one.
    Maxlight frame, revs/rebas and shop around for the best deals on the rest.
    Could build something fast and light for that money no problem.

njee20
    Free Member

That looks like a Pedal Force too, same back end.

Mine was a great little bike, short top tube though, but cheaper and lighter than a Kinesis, ScandAl etc.

finners

if my s-works hardtail comes a croper, or anyone wants to buy it, im having one of the frames i linked!!

njee20
    Free Member

My one was lighter than my S-Works Carbon hardtail frame too!

scotabroad

Scott Scale? Fuji MT pro?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

This was built up for less than your budget. Frame ebay, second hand crossmaxs', couple of bits classifieds and the rest new.
    More fun to build something up than buy something new however sorted and nice it is.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Focus Raven, £1440, Magura forks, Carbon Frame, OK spec kit but upgradable

Very impressed after seeing the 2010 model at Enduro 6

duckers
    Free Member

I agree with SpokesCycles – this is a lot of bike for the money, you'll be pushed to beat it a far as an XC hardtail goes, light, stiff, fast, UST compatible wheels, quality components.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p2294

Additionally BIkeRadar reviews the Trek 6700, you could probably do much better for the same price or a little extra cash.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/6700-10-36886

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Cube Reaction Elixir R this is a race bike. it has an alu frame. last years version had fox forks and xt drivetrain, this years one has SIDs and XT. fantastic fast bikes

Soup
    Free Member

Trek 8000 is a great looking bike. Good spec too.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte 19. Only choice!

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I'd definitely lookat/test ride the Whytes …………

MikeWW
    Free Member

cullen-bay – Member

Cube Reaction Elixir R this is a race bike. it has an alu frame. last years version had fox forks and xt drivetrain, this years one has SIDs and XT. fantastic fast bikes

+1

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte 905! I've got an On One 456 Ti. I didn't know Whytes back then. If I had I would have one

igm

Giant XTC1 29er?

IGMC

Burls72
    Free Member

+1 on SpokesCycles recommendation. Going on what you said you wanted don't think you'll get a better bike for the money, always liked the xtc in that colour scheme.

Taff
    Free Member

Interesting topic as I'm looking for a replacement. A couple of good options above and I'm quite liking the Cube if I'm honest but perhaps a little racey. I have, as mentioned above, been looking at the Whyte 19 trail but I think the 1500 one I found was steel but seemed good value for money and the whytes are getting good value for money.

Another option I have been looking at though is the top of the range Boardman from Halfords for a grand. I still think that's a lot of bike for your money but I don't know much about the frame but if I got it I would probably use my Kinesis frame and a few choice parts.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Hey everyone! Thanks for the advice. I've actually got Specialized's Stumpjumper on my shortlist already…although the red and white painscheme coupled with those red rims makes me wince!

As for the cotics and the whyte, I've looked at them a few times in the past and as I'm over 6" tall I think I'd find them a bit too small and a bit too 'chuckable' for what I'm looking for.

As for the Giants…I've actually been into Paul's and sat on a Large C1 and found that it just felt wrong. The first link that was posted was the first Giant that I've seen from them that's available in the 22" guise…so I'll probably give them a call when they open and see if I can go test one shortly.

As for the 'Steel is Real' type answers. Yeah, I agree. I like steel in a mountain bike, I really do. Only thing is that I have a steel single speed and I'm looking for something different for my geared bike.

Thanks for all the advice thus far!

lyons
    Free Member

That giant is a bargain!

lyons
    Free Member

Oh, I can't believe no one has mentioned Scott scales… Brilliant bikes! I loved mine

ratherbeintobago

I've actually got Specialized's Stumpjumper on my shortlist already…

Nooooooooooooooo 😛

Noting wrong with Speshs & Treks per se,; it's just that there do seem to be a lot of them about, and as such they're a bit, well, vanilla.

Marin Indian Fire comes in a 22" & might fit the bill; drivetrain is mainly X9 rather than XT but I have this on my 'Dale & it's fine. There used to be one in the window of Cyclesurgery in Holborn & it was lovely – I was seriously considering one until I was distracted by the lure of single fork legs.

Andy

IanMmmm
    Free Member

+1 Trek 8000. I have one and I can't fault it for XC – apart from the stock tyres, which are absolutely rubbish.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

i have to reccomend the cube reaction too.

i did a few seasons worth of racing on it as well as using it for general purposes and it was fantastic.

the frame is better this year too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What's wrong with a brand being popular?! £1500 is "good bike" territory not custom special stuff. In fact I'm amazed at how low the spec is for most £1500 bikes. Often lots of Deore kit.

Loads of suggestions here! Do any help the OP?!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

toss up between the Stumpy and Trek 8000/8500. I'd try both and see which one hurts you more! Awesome, sorted, fast XC bike.

Mounty_73

I have had a stumpty for just over 12 months now, a great bike, my first ever spesh.

I bought mine as I wanted something light to squeeze in the miles and build up the fitness…..its been a fantastic bike…

Now I want something a little more bigger/hard hitting…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I got a 2007 Stumpy (new at the time) and have upgraded it as things have worn out – it's now a 22ish lbs whippet and I love it.

As long as the frame and forks are good (and brakes if possible – mine came with Juicy 5s and i'm glad to see the back of them – now Elixir CRs) then just upgrade over time – major parts seem dirt cheap at the moment so it doesn't break the bank.

My Stumpy now outspecs flipping expensive bikes but has cost me much less overall.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

You could build a cracking On-One Scandal for £1,500

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have a Trek 8000, which I bought at the back end of last year for marathons and stuff. Its a good bike, nothing mind bogglingly ace just pretty good. And not bad spec for the money. Agreed on ditching the tyres pronto. The wheels are a bit dubious Bonty SSR rims ? (although they havent let me down yet, they are not that light)
    I like the Reba forks, they seem to be really good.
    Having done some marathons and long xc rides on it, in hindsight I wish I'd pushed the boat out and gone short travel full suss, but at the time the budget was pretty fixed, I negotiated some discount on mine and then did my own bike to work scheme for the total, so it ended up costing me £850, so at that money you cant go wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘£1500+ XC Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.