Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • £1500 used car mondeo mazda6 something else?
  • njcisca

I’m looking into getting a used car fairly soon. I currently have a 1.6 2003 Seat Leon which although reliable enough doesn’t do anything particularly well. Neither very spacious for lugging bikes, economical or nice to drive.
    Was thinking about maybe a Mondeo or Mazda 6 both of which are bigger and seem plentiful and cheap enough. Also possibly an estate version of a smaller car Focus, Golf, 307 etc. Anything else worth considering?
    I do a low annual mileage but fairly long runs usually to riding destinations or on holiday. Diesel looks good on paper for mpg performance balance but heard they can be more troublesome.
    Not very clued up on cars so any advice welcome.

benji
    Free Member

Skoda fabia.

duner
    Free Member

I used to have a 2006 Mazda 6 estate, 2.0L petrol. Bought for £1350 a couple of years ago on 140k, ran till 180k and only needed tyres. Did 40mpg, had cruise, 6 speed, decent sound system, could fit 2 bikes in with wheels on. Would definately have another, I sold it just because I was bored but that happens easily to me!

Don’t get a mk1 6 diesel though, various problems documented online. Petrol ones are chain cam, reasonably economical and very reliable.

chakaping
    Free Member

2 litre petrol Mondeo would do you nicely.

They are really nice cars to own and to drive.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Mazdas from the early to mid noughties usually have quite substantial hidden rust. Even the tyres rust! 😆
    Apart from that, they’re pretty good.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Mazda 6 is a good choice. Go for a post 2006 model, as they fixed the rust problem at that point. At that price point and considering your low mileage DON’T buy a diesel. A nice simple petrol will do you fine.

olly2097
    Free Member

Mondeo is a good drive.

Avoid 53 plates and earlier. Rusty doors, dmf failures and pre facelift dash.

We have a nice 56 plate diesel and it does 50mpg all day long.

If buying a diesel Mondeo mk3 then look for signs of leaky injectors and dmf failure. Both megabucks.

timber

Mk3 Mondeo tdci diesel estate with the best/newest clutch. Everything else is pretty routine. Got rid of ours because the wife found it too big for the work car park. At over 200k, should have just let her dent to fit. Did most stuff better than something of its size should and everything you would expect it to.

doris5000

Mondeo is a good drive.

Avoid 53 plates and earlier. Rusty doors, dmf failures and pre facelift dash.

We have a nice 56 plate diesel and it does 50mpg all day long.

If buying a diesel Mondeo mk3 then look for signs of leaky injectors and dmf failure. Both megabucks.

an early mk3 still isn’t a terrible shout. I inherited a 52 plate (diesel) and the DMF had been replaced at about 90K miles (seems a bit early but hey). Service history was patchy, rear bumper was held on with gaffa, but i got it at 130K, it’s now up to 155K and sailed through both MOTs since I’ve had it. Hasn’t cost anything except on consumables (and a new rear bumper). It’s also so dramatically unattractive to thieves that i once left the ignition key sticking out of the driver’s side door for about 3 hours in tenby town centre and came back to find everything still in place 😆

njcisca

Thanks all. Both the 6 and Mondeo seem like a lot of car for the money but now read lots of warnings about a Mazda diesel. Is the DMF a real timebomb in the TDCI Mondeos too? Doesn’t seem to be much difference in price of say a 2.0 petrol or diesel when buying an older car.

Northwind

My 2.2 diesel mondeo’s at 120000 miles and every other bastard thing on it’s broken but the dmf seems to be original. We have a love hate relationship- it explodes turbos, I drown it in lochs, then we kiss and make up. But it’s bloody good when it’s not on the back of a truck. Mahoosive, comfy, a fine motorway wafter and kind of hilarious to heave about a b-road, mine is about 185bhp and it’s like a rocket powered elephant 😆

Injectors aren’t megabucks, you see some crazy numbers waved about for the job but they’re £150 new, £30 for the special tool and programming kit (assuming you have a laptop) and easily diyable. Not pennies but not disastrous. Only bummer with mine was that they all failed in very short order, as if they’re unionised.

This isn’t a universal opinion but I can’t see why you’d buy anything but an estate if you want to carry bikes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121559246728

£1400 Honda Accord Tourer (estate) CDTi Sport, 167K Miles. Full MOT

A friend’s car. I was considering buying it, but as I intend to flee the country ASAP it’s bit of a waste if I do.

But I would. Otherwise. 🙂

takisawa2

Mondeo 52 plate TDCi here, on 177k.
    No issues, just goes on & on, doing 40-45mpg.
    Can hit you with a big bill, but put a clutch in any car of simmillar age/complexity & the bill will be the same, as they all have DMF’s.
    DMF’s are/were a weak point, but most are probably on newer ones by now.
    Injectors, yes pricey to replace but often they just need re-coding for about £100. Turbos no weaker than any modern diesel.

I’d happily buy again but we’ve been lucky with this one so I’d go for a 2 litre petrol model. Should pick up a lovely late model for not much money.
    Parts are ridiculously cheap for them, & any garage can fix a Mondeo.
    I shall run ours until something big goes & scrap it for another.
    And, even by modern standards, they are actually a nice car to drive.

TheFlyingOx

MG ZT-T CTDi. It’s a Beemer diesel engine slightly modified to do away with the minor issues it had, and the rest of it is the last of the good MGs. I’ve got the 2.5 V6 version and it’s magic. Loads of space, really nice drive, and despite the decline of MG Rover you can still get pretty much any part you can think of for very reasonable money.

anagallis_arvensis

Or the Rover 75 diesel. Same engine more amusing image. I bought mine for 1k done 10k miles in it. Bought it as I needed a cheap auto to use after knee op. Will plough up the motorway in immense comfort at a steady 75.

fubar
    Free Member

from my experience of 7 years with a 2nd hand Mk3 1.8 petrol Mondeo it was the most reliable car I’ve had. Was very happy with it and only really changed it out of boredom.

soobalias
    Free Member

that honda looks huge and not far from me either
    will also keep the mgzt in mind

but the mundano looks far and away the most popular.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Don’t write off a Mazda 6. I’ve had a 2005 2.0l petrol which is now on 130k miles for the last couple of years and it’s been great.

Just search locally for both and buy the best example on offer.

martymac

My mondeo (2.0 tdci 115hp) went fine, did close to 50mpg over 162k, was a comfy place to sit, and broke down once in that time (cost 30p to fix, fuse for the immobiliser failed)
    in total,
    exhaust
    drop links all round
    brake discs and pads all round
    rear hub assembly both sides
    Some tyres
    lots of diesel
    my mate who did all the work in the time i had it reckons most mondeos need those items done at some point.
    I cant remember exact numbers, but id guess all of it together probably skinned me about 16-1800 notes fitted. Im not complaining at that, it was a brilliant car.
    i sold it to a woman in my town, who informed me it needed virtually nowt to go through its last mot.
    Reason i sold it?
    had a shot in my mates subaru outback and liked it, also i had been thinking about something with 4wd for a while.
    I would have another.

Northwind

Mazda 6 looked really good to me but I couldn’t find any with the spec I wanted, there were usually about 10 times more mondeos for sale locally. The Honda was ace but, I dunno, just a bit anaesthetised. Which isn’t really a bad thing but I was surprised to find the mondeo had a soul. Albeit a fairly malicious one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can hit you with a big bill, but put a clutch in any car of simmillar age/complexity & the bill will be the same, as they all have DMF’s.

That’s why I said petrol.

OP said low annual mileage and petrol just seems the safer bet at £1,500. To me anyway.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Sorry weeksy, but a petrol rover 75 is not a safe bet. The K series engine is well known for head gasket problems, no point buying a car with a weak point when there are plenty without for the same money.
    Oh, and to the op – I’ll repeat my advice – buy a petrol car. Much less to go wrong.

Northwind

In general I’d agree with the petrol vs diesel chat… But for the mondeo, the petrol engines felt basically like the wrong engine for the car to me, they make reasonable power but are fairly revvy, not to mention thirsty and a bit tax-ey too. It’s a mondeo, revving it just felt ridiculous. And the 2.0 seemed relatively scarce too. And IIRC insurancey, I’m pretty sure my 155 2.2 tdci quoted lower than the 2.0 petrol. It’s not terrible but I reckon the 130 tdci is so popular for good reasons.

In some ways it does feel like the front of the car’s full of timebombs but at the same time the other savings are pretty considerable. I reckon what I save in fuel and tax over a year paid for a full set of injectors, frinstance. I’m definitely ahead on the choice and got a nicer car to boot.

The Honda petrol as I recall was much nicer but don’t quote me.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Make sure the Mondeo has no problems with the rear subframe, rear brakes or handbrake, clutch, or rattly inlet.

The later models have better interiors and trip computer.

Had the 2.0 petrol. Was a bit thirsty. Go diesel and watch out for injectors when buying.

My 3 litre Bmw is cheaper to run.

rocketman
    Free Member

…usually about 10 times more mondeos for sale locally

^^ this

When I was looking it seemed every garage in a 10 mile radius had a least one Mondeo for sale. Quite useful to look/drive identical cars and compare them

Northwind

Frankenstein – Member

Go diesel and watch out for injectors when buying.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for there? With mine the one noticable symptom was this and it didn’t need that much watching out for

Smokey, no Bandits

njcisca

In general I’d agree with the petrol vs diesel chat… But for the mondeo, the petrol engines felt basically like the wrong engine for the car to me, they make reasonable power but are fairly revvy, not to mention thirsty and a bit tax-ey too. It’s a mondeo, revving it just felt ridiculous. And the 2.0 seemed relatively scarce too. And IIRC insurancey, I’m pretty sure my 155 2.2 tdci quoted lower than the 2.0 petrol. It’s not terrible but I reckon the 130 tdci is so popular for good reasons.

In some ways it does feel like the front of the car’s full of timebombs but at the same time the other savings are pretty considerable. I reckon what I save in fuel and tax over a year paid for a full set of injectors, frinstance. I’m definitely ahead on the choice and got a nicer car to boot.

The Honda petrol as I recall was much nicer but don’t quote me.

This is why I keep coming back to a TDCI despite my low mileage. 2.0 petrol cars seem expensive on tax, insurance and thirsty in comparison. I should probably add at this point that I have never had a diesel, so far just buy smallish cheap petrol cars and run them till they die. This is the first time I’m thinking about replacing a car just for more space, something nicer to sit in and I guess for a change.
    My first car was a 97 Civic would love another Honda but they seem hard to come by.

squin
    Free Member

2001 Mondeo 2ltr petrol here.

Cracking car. Had it 3 years, done 62000miles in that time, S of France fully loaded twice (5 of us with roof box).

Cost £900 to buy with full service history and a 1yr MOT.

Does 39mpg combined and fully loaded will still do 36mpg.

Only cost me normal servicing costs. Would buy another when (if) this eventually gives up the ghost.

doris5000

<pedant>

from what i’ve heard, petrol MK3’s and later Mondeos DO have DMFs, it’s just that they’re less likely to give up (perhaps because less vibration and rumble in a petrol engine?)

</pedant>

foxman
    Free Member

On my second 2.0ltr petrol mondeo, 1st one got to 170,000 before i wrote it off, current one now done 180.000, petrol models have dual mass flywheels .
    Both pre face lift 52 plate

njcisca

U turn time! Pretty much sold on a petrol now after the comments here and elsewhere about potential problems with the diesels. Any issues costing more than a few hundred on a cheap used car are not really worth sorting.
    Seem to be plenty of used 2.0 Mondeos around so just a case of landing a decent one. Not ruled out a Mazda6 either but theres probably not as much choice.
    Just need to sell my Leon first as I reckon a should get more privately than px price.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘£1500 used car mondeo mazda6 something else?’ is closed to new replies.