Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 150 Mile Sponsored ride route: Lockerbie to Bradford
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a 150 mile ride to raise some money for CAP. I want the route to be pretty strenious, a massive day’s ride for a habitual pootler like me [and John, he’s suffering this too]. As such, what do you lot make of this:

Actually I think we made a small change to this route after it was loaded up on this screen, but it’s largely the route John proposed.

Overall, is this going to be an interesting and somewhat safe route for two guys on bikes with only spares, no luggage as no overnight stops?

Is this, or a small modification of this, a decent route for cycling withot being killed stonedead? Has anyone ridden this or a part of it? We’d be setting off at 5 am or something like that to minimise the town/rushower interactions.

T.Hanks dudes!

martinhutch

Southern half of the route wouldn’t appeal to me much TBH. There’s a load of quite dangerous (IMO) bits of the A65, and the bit south of Skipton is not a particularly pleasant way to end an epic ride. Is there any reason why Bradford is the destination of choice?

Why not head towards Kirkby Stephen, and ride down to Settle via Ribblehead? There would a bit more climbing, but not a desperate amount, some fantastic scenery too, and you would almost entirely avoid the A65. You could also ride some smaller roads on the south side of the A65.

It also gives you some bailout stations at KS, Garsdale, Horton etc if things go horribly wrong.

PS The hill out of Settle will be a bit of a killer after that mileage, but possibly a necessary evil.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Pretty much what he said. I’d aim for Hawes (nice stop at the creamery) then via Grassington, Bolton Abbey and up to Bradford via Ilkley

AlasdairMc

I used the A6 on my LeJog. Shap was fun, not the beast I was expecting

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That’s great feedback. He and I will discuss this. To be honest – I’d like to open it up – if anyone knows any interesting parallel roads like mentioned above that would keep us off the main ones step forward please 🙂

Thanks!

Sam

boxelder

Why go to the M6 near Kendal – head Kirkby Stephen then Hawes etc

monksie
    Free Member

For my big one day ride, I looked at quiet roads but it lengthened the route considerably so I decided to go direct. It was a long way and I (correctly) assumed that I’d be enduring rather than enjoying so I’d want it over as soon as possible.
    Apart from going through the Peak District toward the end, it was a good plan.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Okay so now the other dude proposes 177 mile route!

Is this possible?? the furthest I’ve ever done was 125 on a three speed city bike but I was training!

How does it feel to ride that far…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You really dont want to go anywhere near the A65, its a very dangerous road, regardless of what monskie says, stay away from it.

I would get to Kirkby Stephen, Hawes, bugger of a climb over to Buckden, to Grassington.

Where are you getting to in Bradford, that would determine which way to go next.

monksie
    Free Member

I didn’t suggest going anywhere near nor staying well away from the A65 on the basis that I have no clue where the hell it is.
    Mine was 224 miles. London to Manchester. It was hard. I said never again and meant it.
    I’m doing Manchester to Edinburgh next Spring.
    Some people do more regularly. I wouldn’t.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Thanks guys, this healthy discussion is proving most useful.

We are coming back to Bradford because we live here. The center, or thereabouts.

Thanks!

martinhutch

I think you need more emphasis on joining the good tea-shops rather than just mileage. 🙂 Most of us Dales-dwellers are experts in this matter.

177 sounds like a hell of a day though, especially as there will be hillage.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

177 sounds like a hell of a day though

Aye, that it does.

pennine
    Free Member

We are coming back to Bradford because we live here.

Well, that answers that question. Couldn’t imagine why anyone would actually want to ride to Bradford. 😉

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well, that answers that question. Couldn’t imagine why anyone would actually want to ride to Bradford.

Ahem, Bradford’s a beautiful place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘150 Mile Sponsored ride route: Lockerbie to Bradford’ is closed to new replies.