Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • £150 Fakengers
  • MrAgreeable
    BigDummy
    Free Member

I’d love to see a decent singlespeed commuter bike with a nice comfy position, fenders, rack, rear-wheel lock and dynamo lights with the sort of cheerful colourscheme and styling of the fixed gear bikes being mass-marketed for about £200-250. I don’t object to the cheapness of that thing, just to its raging impracticality as a bike for being normal on or near.

🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There don’t seem to be too many fixies around in Brum, but the ones I’ve seen make me smile because all the boxes really are ticked- the handlebars cut down so there’s just enough space for hands+stem, the jeans, the hat, the shreddies on show, the black hair… Wonder what they’ll be riding in a couple of years?

BigDummy
    Free Member

If they’re riding something I’m happy enough for them. I don’t know how genuine it really is, but I’ve been out in Soho a couple of times in the last year and seen groups of attractive young people trundling around from one bar to another on bicycles. That’s cheering.

rolfharris
    Free Member

This is my Fakenger. It cost me £100 at the LBS, including mudguards. I’m very very happy with it.

flamejob
    Free Member

I feel a bit sorry for all the people who actually ride on the track like ourmaninthenotth as the good bike prices are being driven up by fashion w*nk.

I too have seen many of those unipack things at my bike shop job [never knew they were referred to as that] break down and had to help people who have no idea about bikes. Crap hubs, chains, headests, bbs, pedals… wow that is all the mechanical bits.

I ride a Brompton in town. Actually, I ride a Brompton more than any of my other bikes. Much more sensible. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Same here flamejob, that or the cargo bike. But Bromptons are a loooong way off being cool…. 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

No no – Bromptons certainly are cool. Had a spin on one that a bloke down the pub had arrived on – was a hoot to ride. Mind you, I was in an advanced state of refreshment at the time, so probably anything would have been fun to ride.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

So.

They’re cheap to buy, keep workshops busy and get people who wouldn’t normally ride, on a bike, which inturn makes them treat cyclists with a bit more respect when they drive.

Sounding better all the time

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Those ones with the red wheels are ten a penny in London. Usually ridden pretty badly or used as kind of walking accessory.

Eugh.

soobalias
    Free Member

They’re cheap to buy, keep workshops busy and get people who wouldn’t normally ride parting with their hard earned on a regular basis while still having to rely on their car, which inturn makes them treat cyclists, with vaguely reliable bikes, like the spawn of satan, when they drive.

flamejob
    Free Member

Same here flamejob, that or the cargo bike. But Bromptons are a loooong way off being cool….

[hurt voice] my Brompton is cool[/hurt voice]

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yours is cooler than mine, certainly. Mine’s British Racing Green and has a rack, but otherwise similar.

😉

ourmaninthenorth

I’m going to have to get me a fixed (note, not “fixie” – I’m 32 and can’t go round pretending to be young and cool) for the road, but it also needs to have the practicality espoused by BD.

I love fixed on the track – mind you, riding on the track is addictive – and can’t see why fixed on the road wouldn’t be ideal. It would certainly get around my unwillingness to do any maintenance on my commuter.

And, although I appear to favour practicality, there is something still rather cool about young people, on bikes, chilling out in bars. Why is it excessively frashionale over here, but riding a bike to a nightclub in Amsterdam is a perfectly normal activity?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Seen that Ridgeback thing that used to be the Genesis Skyline Tom? I’d be having one of those if I could justify another machine.

ourmaninthenorth

Seen that Ridgeback thing that used to be the Genesis Skyline Tom? I’d be having one of those if I could justify another machine.

Seen that – the Solo it’s called. Looks ideal. Just not sure how I can get that, a cross bike and the Xtracycle conversion kit on a £1000 cyclscheme voucher…. 😯

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘£150 Fakengers’ is closed to new replies.