• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 15 year old bike – what needs doing?
  • twixhunter
    Free Member

What should I get replaced or serviced on a near 15 year old bike? I’ve got a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 Pro FS. Is it just a case of new cables and tyres?

Should I get the forks serviced too or is this not worth it?

Here’s the full spec: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2001&brand=Specialized&model=Rockhopper+A1+Pro+FS

Thanks

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Start with the frame, get that replaced first. When you’ve done that, a new set of wheels and a new fork, that will transform the ride. Next I’d go for a new groupset and finishing kit. Job done.

DickBarton

If it all works then not much needing done…wheels might need new grease and bearings, maybe new cones as well. New cables, probably chain, cassette and chairing and tyresmight need more air in them. Fork will always feel better after a service.

thecaptain
    Free Member

A 15 year old bike (and parts to match) is my main ride! Tyres, chains, cassettes, chainrings all wear out but the rest is fine!

chestrockwell

I wouldn’t bother getting the forks serviced, I’d just replace them. Even a budget rockshox for £100ish will be miles better than yours, even after a service.

As for the rest of it, as long as the parts work, happy days. Replacing cables is a good idea although you could squirt lube down the outers to refresh the current ones. After that, grease/lube headset, hubs, etc. You’ll soon find out if any other parts need replacing so do them as and when.

twixhunter
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I used to yearn after a pair of rockshox when I was in school so to hear of them being at £100 ‘relatively’ cheap is eye opening!

Is it an option to get rigid forks or would this mess up the riding geometry?

Thanks again.

hopkinsgm

Going rigid is an option – and so long as the axle to crown measurement for the rigid fork matches the (correctly sagged) axle to crown measurement for the suspension fork, then the geometry will be unchanged

jonathan
    Free Member

The Surly 1×1 fork comes in two lengths – 413mm or 453mm axle-to-crown (supposedly for roughly 80mm or 100mm travel forks). Have a measure up of roughly what you’re at with the Judys and see which is closest.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/surly_1x1_crmo_mtb_forks-ID_59669

helpful1
    Free Member

I ride a 20 year old GT hardtail regularly for local XC and rides with the kids etc.
    If the rockhopper has been kept in good working order and stored indoors it may need nothing but a quick check over and cable/chain lube.
    if required Judy’s are really simple to service at home.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

15 year old bike – what needs doing?

Shoving on retrobike and using the money to get something modern.

scrumfled
    Free Member

I had almost exactly that model. Surprisingly light for its age and great for hacking about to the shops or down canal paths. I stopped trusting the fork for anything decent offroad.

If its only doing light duties, quick tweak of the gears and squirt lube on things that should move and you’re good to go.

wicki
    Free Member

Cracking piece of kit don’t listen to all the nay sayers who were suckered into spending thousands get out and ride it.

chestrockwell

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    15 year old bike – what needs doing?
    Shoving on retrobike and using the money to get something modern.

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It is modern by retro standards. The money received would buy a bike of about the same quality/ability so no point.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Just ride it and make a mental note of what to do. Then in the garage couple of beers and clean an lube.

cakefacesmallblock

^^ This.

Of course it all depends on its overall condition and what it’s been used for before.
    Beyond that what you expect it to do for you too.
    It’s well dated as far as trail bikes are concerned, but if you just want to get and ride fire roads and bridleways, and muck about on Singletrack, it will be fine.

emanuel
    Free Member

cables, outers, brake pads, true rims, check spoke tension, clean lube adjust hubs+ headset, new grips,evaluate tyres according to use/condition, fork idem. either go rigid for no maintenance, or new ones if you’re planning to use it in anger.
    check BB, and you should be sorted for a while.
    probably new pedals too.

JoeG
    Free Member

I have a number of retrobikes, and found that the grease usually does not age well. I always tear down hubs, headsets, and BB (unless a cartridge BB which cannot be disassembled) and clean out the old grease and replace with fresh. I usually do the pedals, too. 😳

Grease in the shifters often thickens up leading to poor shifting or the inability to shift into all of the gears. IME, WD-40 works well as a solvent to get the old grease out of the shifters without damaging any of the plastic or rubber components like a more aggressive solvent can.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘15 year old bike – what needs doing?’ is closed to new replies.