Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 15 mile commute on a Kona Paddy Wagon
  • baldSpot
    Free Member

Doable or stupid? It’s relativity flat terrain and a mixture of gravel paths, back roads and cycle paths. Like the idea of low maintenance but not sure if my knees could take it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Certainly doable if you get the gearing right.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do-able yes. Fun – sometimes, maybe. You won’t enjoy headwinds!

miketually
    Free Member

Each way or round trip? (I.e 15 miles a day or 30 miles a day?)

twohats
    Free Member

I regularly do 3 to 4 hour road rides, including lots of hills, on my singlespeed road bike, so a 15 mile commute should be very doable!!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

But going out on a long road ride and doing two 15 mile rides a day, and doing a days work are very different things.

qwerty
    Free Member

once upon a long ago, some old coot rode the Tour De France on this

so you should be ok, but i can’t vouch for your knees

😆

Nick

My commute is 20 ew and I do that on a Pompino, pretty similar to a Paddy Wagon. Hope the wind drops tomorrow though.

ski
    Free Member

This time of year, go for it, you will have all of the summer months ahead of you.

Will not feel so much fun though in the middle of winter 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I regularly do a 20 mile commute on my Flyer and some days I ride both to and from work. Not looking forward to tonight though as it looks like stiff headwind all the way home.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Will not feel so much fun though in the middle of winter It won’t, hwoever you do appreciate the nicer weather and day light so much more than civilians do.

baldSpot
    Free Member

It’s 15 mile 1 way. It’s either a Paddy Wagon or a Honky Tonk and and I really can’t decide which.
    I plan to do a a Sportive in the Summer as well. So I’m guessing a Honky Tonk would seem like the obvious answer but the thought of hassle free maintenance is VERY tempting.

Don’t suppose doing a Sportive on a Singlespeed is a goer?!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends on the sportive. Out of interest why are you limiting yourself to either a Paddy Wagon or a Honky Tonk?

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I commute about the same every day on my Tricross SS. As others say, not good when its windy but apart from that is fine (and I fly when I take my geared bikes out)

Dibbs
    Free Member

I do a 15 mile (each way) commute over the Quantocks on my Flyer there’s one bit that’s just too steep but it only a couple hundred yards so I walk it.
    I find I get to work less stressed on the Flyer, as I tend to push myself to go faster and faster on the geared bike.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Depends on the sportive. Out of interest why are you limiting yourself to either a Paddy Wagon or a Honky Tonk?

I want an all rounder I can use to commute on and go for some Road Riding when the mood takes me.
    Was considering things like the Spc Allez, Giant Defy, Trek 1.2 etc but they either had problems with racks, tyre clearance, mudguards or being a bit pricey..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Kona Jake?

baldSpot
    Free Member

thought about that one as well but I want something more Road based.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a jake the snake for commuting, slick tyres and its almost as fast as my road bike. Takes guards, rack, etc.

john_l
    Free Member

I commute 14miles each way on my Kogswell most days. Really enjoyed the brighter weather last week!

Just don’t be tempted to over-egg it with the gearing – a 50t ring might look cool but it’s much more efficient to go smaller & spin, IMO.

Mister-P
    Free Member

48/18 is my prefered ratio.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘15 mile commute on a Kona Paddy Wagon’ is closed to new replies.