Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1.5" headset press adapter – such a thing?
  • jimmy

I have a headet press (X Tools I think) but its made for 1.1/8 cups. Is there such a thing as an adapter for 1.5″ headsets so they don’t gobble up the press and mangle everything up? I’ve bodged it using other parts of headsets but its not ideal and doesn’t do a good job of pressing it in straight.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Was wondering about this too.

wwaswas

I bought some of these (it was a set of about 6 different sizes – I assume from the same seller);

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-1-5-Bicycle-Headset-Press-Driver-Tapered-Headsets/260753571572

off someone on here. I had to open the inside hole out by about .5mm to get them to fit a cyclus headset press.

[edit] look at sellers other items for different sizes.

robware
    Free Member

I just drilled a hole in a suitable sized piece of wood and placed it in mine.

granny_ring

Glad u got them sorted wwaswas!

wwaswas

Ta da!

Was easy with the right tool 🙂

RustyMac

wwaswas,

Does that support the inner side of the headset to help keep it centred as the cyclus headset pucks do?

wwaswas

The outer edge is virtually the same diameter as the headset bearing so it can’t move around inside the cup. Does that answer your question?

granny_ring

That’s a bit of kit sir…..

RustyMac

Yeah that answers the question, thanks.

Ideally I am looking for 2 additional pucks for my cyclus press, one for 44mm 1 1/8 headsets and a second for 1.5 headsets. What I like about the current setup is the puck supports the the inside of the headset to aid alignment and then the outer edge pushes on the outside of the headset cup to press it in without putting excess pressure on the bearings.

Looks like I may need to get some turned by someone.

wwaswas

Don’t you just take the bearings out when pressing the cups in?

scotroutes

Quite

Northwind

I used the universal adaptor

RustyMac

Why take the bearings out when the tool can do the job with them in and not put any pressure on them?

I don’t like the idea of pressing against the inside section of a headset cup that the bearings will sit against in case the cups are damaged.

jimmy

forgot about this.

Surely someone has a lathe to bosh out some of those discs rather then post from USA. Who do I know…

roverpig

Just fitted a new Hope tapered integrated headset to my Five. Took about half an hour to take it apart, knock out the old one, bang the new one in using Northwind’s universal adaptor (and a bit of wood) and put it all back together. I must have installed dozens of headsets in this way over the years, but I dare say thee are good reasons why I should be using a press.

jimmy

A ruined Chas Roberts custom frame is my reason.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1.5" headset press adapter – such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.