Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1.5" ck headset creaking!!!!
  • jedi

ARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! it knocks all the time and works loose so i greased the bottom race etc. now its creaking. anyonelse had issues?

anc
    Free Member

Shouldn’t creak if its greased, thought mine was creaking. It turned out to be the stearer crown joint(fox). Turned the bike upsidedown and put some locktite 290 in the joint left for a couple of days upside down whilst it cured. Hasn’t creaked since.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cheap rubbish. Chuck it in the bin and buy something decent like an FSA one.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Are you using it on long travel single crowns? I had on on my Demo7 with 66’s and it creaked and worked loose all the time.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Poor design, shoddy manufacturing. 😐

kaesae
    Free Member

I had a rider in with a standard CK headset in his Santa cruz Blur, it was slightly too slack and you could pull/push it out with your hands/fingers 😯

I used some a sealant on the headtube similar to loctite and it sorted the headset out.

I would try what anc is saying anywhere that you can use it.

qwerty
    Free Member

my 1.125″ creaked when i omitted to fit the thin plastic “scuff washer” between the stem & bearing cap

beanieripper
    Free Member

buy a ck griplock if its the headset, you sure its not your csu?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

If its properly fitted and greased and has the little plastic washer in, then go and hassle the Evolution guys to sell you a Griplock top bearing cover. Should solve the problem, as it works like a proper aheadset, with a wedge, not relying on an O-ring to hold it all together.

TheSwede
    Free Member

You sure its not the forks tony?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Using a new 1.5″, with that thingy that goes right through. Been using it for a couple of months of pretty much riding every day and not had any issues with creaking or coming loose. Using with fox 36 vans if that makes a difference?

jedi

still creaks. stoopid headset!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Told you. It’s rubbish. Chuck it and buy something decent instead.

jedi

my king hubs and headsets from years ago are going strong. the 1.5 one is the issue………….. i may get rid of it i reckon

lesoxdh
    Free Member

I have had the 1.5″ CK for over 3 years now and mine is still running smooth and with out a sound. I did have one point a creaking noise, which did make me void the warranty on the bearings by removing the seals and added some grease as there was none in there. But it still had the creaking. Turn out after sending my forks to windwave under warranty, that they had resit the steerer, which was a known issue with marzocchi. That was 2 years ago now and still no creaking. Send the bearing to CK or your forks off and tha could sort it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1.5" ck headset creaking!!!!’ is closed to new replies.