Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 148 boost 150 lathe bodge possible?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning tech guru’s

Please bare with me as to why I’m asking this…

If you were to take a lathe to the end caps from a 150mm dh hub would it fit a boost frame? Wpykd the spacing of where the flanges need to be and where the disc would sit be right?

If so would it be 1mm off of each end cap or 2mm off of one side… or would the spacing for disc and cassette be in a different places to a proper 148 hub regardless?

Thinking about it are the axle diameters even the same?

Why am I asking… I have a set of 150 and 20mm bolt through hubs sat around not doing anything somewhere on the loft and I’m considering building them into a more gnaaarrr wheelset for uplift days for my sb6c and getting a set of dual crowns.

That way I can slam a big fork and some dual crowns on for uplift and alpine trips.

I’m being tight and hubs are expensive.. plus my dad has a lathe.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

gears and disc will be in the wrong place

kayla1
    Free Member

Measure some stuff (like the hub centreline to the brake mount surface) and see how far out it is. If it’s not too far, and it’s probably only going to be a millimetre or two, then I don’t see why it couldn’t work. I think DH axles are/were 150 x 12 anyway so it’s only a case of whittling some stuff away, a bit at a time, and trying it for fit each time. What’s the worst that can happen? You waste a bit of time and have to buy new end caps for a hub that isn’t being used anyway?

ajantom

gears and disc will be in the wrong place

Would 1mm each side tedljy make too much difference?

I use 2 sets of wheels in one of my bikes, and have to adjust the mech by at least 2mm due to the hubs/freewheels being slightly different.

I would also assume that you should have 1mm of adjustment to play with on the brake side.

simondbarnes

Aren’t 150 dh hubs actually 157mm wide?

kayla1
    Free Member

No, 157 is a different ‘standard’… 🙄 😆

honourablegeorge

Having seen the entire headtube shear off a yeti, I wouldn’t fancy dual crowns on one

simondbarnes – Member
    Aren’t 150 dh hubs actually 157mm wide?

Yes – the 150 equivalent to 142 is 157 – that’s 3.5mm of end cap added each side.

150x12mm adds 15mm width to the centre shell of the hub compared to 135x12mm

148 has the 3.5mm end caps and 6mm added to the shell – so it’s a 141mm hib with end caps, basically – the extra width is in very different places.

chilled76
    Free Member

Hmmmm cheers. I’ve asked rather than looking as it’s buried in the loft and won’t bother digging it out if it’s not likely to work.

As for head tubes shearing off of an sb6…

I won’t be the first person to do it and it will be 10 days riding a year…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘148 boost 150 lathe bodge possible?’ is closed to new replies.