Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 142×12 convert to 148 boost?
  • josecamel
    Free Member

From what I’ve read it sounds like it’s not possible to convert hubs: 142×12 to 148 boost (front hub 100×15 to boost too)?
    Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? Is it possible?

If I change to a new frame that has the newer boost standard does it mean my existing wheels are useless for it? That’s the reationale behind me asking.

Thanks in advance.

bungalistic
    Free Member

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/boostinator for the rear, someone will be along soon who has done this. Not sure on front, I thought hope had made some longer end caps to convert theirs.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It is possible, it depends on the brand though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bluebird
    Free Member

You might be able to replace end caps to adjust the overall spacing, but isn’t the point of boost to move the hub flanges further outwards?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

isn’t the point of boost to move the hub flanges further outwards?

No, it’s to build in obsolescence to make sticking a bike together even more complicated than it really needs to be, without any real step forward.

lungman

Hi I’ve just get a kit off eBay to do this really just 5mm spacers either side of the axel and a 5mm spacer between hub and rotor could be a little fiddly but can’t see why it wouldn’t work

honourablegeorge

lungman – Member
    Hi I’ve just get a kit off eBay to do this really just 5mm spacers either side of the axel and a 5mm spacer between hub and rotor could be a little fiddly but can’t see why it wouldn’t work

Becaise 5mm spacers either side will give you a 152mm width? You want 6mm disc side and no extra spacing drive side

josecamel
    Free Member

If I change to a new frame that has the newer boost standard does it mean my existing wheels are useless for it?

My existing wheels are Hopetech Enduro 27.5, Evo Pro 4 hubs.
    I can’t work out from Hope’s website if they do the replacement end-caps or not???

mboy
    Free Member

No, it’s to build in obsolescence to make sticking a bike together even more complicated than it really needs to be, without any real step forward.

Maybe you’d like to share your opinions on 12spd groupsets whilst you’re having a rant?

I’ll admit to being spurious of the benefits myself when it was first announced that Boost was a thing (not aided by my dislike of anything Trek), but having ridden Boost for a while now you can definitely tell it’s usefully stiffer, and moving the chainring 3mm out on 1x setups also allows for more tyre clearance and/or shorter chainstays which is again useful.

It’s a ballache if you’ve already got some nice non boost wheels I’ll admit, but that’s what the classifieds on here are for eh!

bungalistic
    Free Member

The boostinator kit will fit pro 2 evo and pro 4 hubs, I haven’t yet tried it myself but that is what they say. There’s another post here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/boost-adapting-142148-who-has about folk who’ve successfully used the kit. I’m probably going to get a kit to convert a dt swiss hub

josecamel
    Free Member

The boostinator kit will fit pro 2 evo and pro 4 hubs, I haven’t yet tried it myself but that is what they say. There’s another post here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/boost-adapting-142148-who-has about folk who’ve successfully used the kit. I’m probably going to get a kit to convert a dt swiss hub

Now that is exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.

Also this on ebay https://goo.gl/4lfGgV

RicB

I think the Lindarets kit will fit pro2 non-evo rear hubs too; the axle dia differences are all at the freehub side.

My reading of Boost is that it was a fairly pointless change to hubs in an attempt to improve 29″ wheel stiffness but, because of the shift to 1x drivetrains, has allowed pivot points and chainstays etc to be widened and this really has improved rear end stiffness.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am due to fit my Boostinator and it seems simple enough but that is depending on how easy the redish is… Other kits are available but you do need to get one that makes you redish the wheel to get some benefit to wheel strength from the change.

I have a single chainring specific frame that I am going to build up and can see a design benefit for the change from 142 to 148. But it is another Ballachulish to endure as we embrace progress.

tandemonium
    Free Member

My existing wheels are Hopetech Enduro 27.5, Evo Pro 4 hubs.
    I can’t work out from Hope’s website if they do the replacement end-caps or not???

Hope do indeed do adapters for their front hubs to convert to boost, but not the rear.

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/HUB-CONVERSION-KITS-CHART.pdf

For Evo Pro 4 front from 100mm to 110mm use HUB1009-14N

I have used Lindarets boostinator on Hope Evo 2 rear. Replaces LH end cap with one that is 6mm longer, and spacer behind rotor. This setup keeps the cassette where it should be(up against stay). The eBay kits do not do this, as they have a 3mm spacer each side, thus they move your cassette inboard and this will screw up your chain line.
    The boostinator does mean you have to re-dish the wheel to get the rim on the new centreline of the frame. But I found spoke length was ok to do this without new spokes.
    It is a bit of a pain, but means I didn’t have to buy new hub.

RicB

I’m a bit nervous about the 3mm kits, as they’ll surely put stress/shear points directly on the 12mm bolt, rather than spread out over the whole axle and bolt

chilled76
    Free Member

That’s why the boostinator is better. Also no small parts to lose on the trail if fixing a puncture and you get the proper boost chainline.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘142×12 convert to 148 boost?’ is closed to new replies.