Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 142×12 conversion on a Yeti ASR5 – is it worth doing ?
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Hello STW
    As the list title says…. Thinking of converting my ASR5 to 142×12 at the back, (can’t afford the new SB5c without selling at least a kidney) but is it worth doing?

Thanks in anticipation

Recycler
    Free Member

Bump……
    Any experiences or advice?

dekadanse
    Free Member

Just doing it at the moment so will tell you in 2 or 3 weeks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robbonzo
    Free Member

Yes definitely, makes a difference.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I find it much simpler on all the 142×12 bikes I own to use than qr.

manderson
    Free Member

Definitely worth it

spikey
    Free Member

Well worth doing, I’ve got a full chip kit in my spares box. Used but all in good working order. Could do you a deal on it if you fancy?

mildred

robbonzo – Member
    Yes definitely, makes a difference.

How and why?

mildred

Spikey, I’m definitely interested in the chip kit – does it include the maxle/skewer & how much do you want?

spikey
    Free Member

Yep has shimano axle. There £83 on yetifan. Wat about £40
    Posted. Give me your email address if your interested and can sort
    Something out. Cheers.

mildred

mark2404 AT icloud DOT com

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got it on my ASR5, but no real experience without it for a fair comparison. It seems nice and stiff though, and as above it’s much easier / more convenient.

I doubt it’s really a game-changing upgrade though, and at £83, I’d put the money towards something else, personally. For £40 you might as well.

variflex
    Free Member

I went for the bolt through option when my rear triangle failed (a couple of years ago now) with a QR installed. My personal thoughts (and could well be totally wrong) is that with the QR there is more stress put on the hanger/rear triangle joint, so by using the bolt through there is less twisting movement thus load. UK distributor have been great and replaced my rear triangle within a few days and I havent had any probs since. Also find with bolt through the dropouts dont need as much fettling.

vmgscot

Converted my carbon-ended 575 to 142×12 and can’t say I noticed much of a difference. Wheel better secured perhaps. Money better spent on getting the RP23 Pushed in my case.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Has anyone genuinely ever noticed the difference between a QR back end and a Maxle on anything other than an Orange Five (and I ran one of those with a QR and couldn’t give less of a chuff about it).

bigjim

I noticed it was stiffer with the bigger axle but I’m over 13 stone. It isn’t essential anyway.

justinbieber

Spikey – if Mildred changes their mind, can I have that kit?

spikey
    Free Member

Mildred YGM

Justin yep no worries.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Yeah I wouldn’t say it’s ‘essential’ but I did notice a difference with the chip lot installed. Just a touch more solid and stiff.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

It definitely makes a difference. Well worth it I’d say.

bails

I’m only 10-and-a-bit stone and I’d say it was worth it, I noticed a real difference in the rear end stiffness. Granted, when I changed from QR to 142×12 I also changed wheels, but they were both a similar spec, conventional (no carbon or fat spokes) wheels.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – seems I was too slow to get the used chipset and axle.

Is Yetifan my best bet for the kit, or is it cheaper we elsewhere?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just puzzled how this new found ‘stiffness’ manifests itself, considering you’ve got a 26 -29″ flexible disc and about 2.5″ of squidgy rubber between the axle and the ground?

I’m suspicious this is another of those ‘benefits’ invented by the marketing guys that we persuade ourselves we can notice – like stiffer cranks, better Q factor, reduced seal stiction… 😀

Now, ease of re-fitting a wheel and getting it in exactly the right place so you don’t have to adjust the brakes – that’s a benefit I can appreciate!

myopic
    Free Member

Variflex – what do you mean that dropouts don’t need as much fettling?

Superficial
    Free Member

Just puzzled how this new found ‘stiffness’ manifests itself, considering you’ve got a 26 -29″ flexible disc and about 2.5″ of squidgy rubber between the axle and the ground?

I’m suspicious this is another of those ‘benefits’ invented by the marketing guys that we persuade ourselves we can notice – like stiffer cranks, better Q factor, reduced seal stiction…

If you ever go from a very flexy frame to a pretty stiff one, you can definitely notice less twang in the rear end of the bike. I.e. it goes where you point it slightly more accurately. Whether that’s enough to give you a real-world speed increase probably depends on loads of factors especially confidence level.

It’s one of those things like posh dampers, good coffee and expensive hifis that you can train yourself into understanding, and you forever need to spend more money on.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘142×12 conversion on a Yeti ASR5 – is it worth doing ?’ is closed to new replies.