Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 142×12 chainline
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

does a 142×12 rear wheel push the cassette out 3.5mm further from the centre of the wheel or is the cassette in the same position and the extra 3.5mm is on the outside of the cassette ?

In other words will the cassette be in the same position for a rear wheel with Hope Evo2 hubs and Hopes 142x12mm adapters versus a ‘native’ 142×12 wheel?

dovebiker

It’s the same as 135mm – extra length is due to the longer through-axle / bolt that sits in the recess in the drop out. The hub body/ cassette position is exactly the same

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

gelert
    Free Member

@dovebiker is correct.

And to work properly (as in to back pedal in 1st and not to wear cogs too quickly) for 11 speed Shimano your chain line needs to be 49mm at the front for a 1x.

Less than 49mm is fine. Over 49mm and it’s dependent on chain stay length, chain, luck, fairies.

SRAM 1x may be less sensitive to chain line (I can’t confirm, but was [-] close to buying it at one point recently).

1×10 Shimano will work with 50/51mm chain line though. It’s better with 49mm too but it does at least work.

Those are just my findings.

OneUp make 1x chain rings that are 49mm corrected. Other makes do claim that but the ones I’ve tried aren’t.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am swapping over my 1×11 setup from my 26inch flux to a 650b one.

I’m using a middleburn direct mount TT chainring which I think gives a 50mm chainline, but I moved the drive side BB spacer to the non-drive side to correct the chain line a bit more although I still had a little bit of back pedal changing.

I’ll see how it goes but might change to sram anyway.

honourablegeorge

I’ve found swapping to a SRAM Cassetre & chain fixes the bacpedalling issue on 1x bikes, regarldess of chainline

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘142×12 chainline’ is closed to new replies.