Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 142 X 12 – what (m)axle do I need?
  • superstu
    Free Member

Really dumb question I’m sure but I’m switching frames and the new frame runs 142 X 12 rather than quick release rear.
    I have a new wheel on order thanks to a PSA yesterday which comes with a SRAM X9 hub.

So the question, I need to order an axle but have no idea what I’m looking for. Are Shimano/DT Swiss/AN Other typically interchangeable?

nickc

no not typically. It depends on the frame (which system, RS or Shimano) rather than the wheel.

davosaurusrex

I have just changed from a Turner Sultan to a Stumpjumper. Although they both have DT Swiss 142×12 axles they are different lengths due to different dropout thickness and the Stumpy also has a finer thread pitch. So very much depends on the frame

superstu
    Free Member

Ah ok so this isn’t quite such a stupid question but does make getting something right more difficult!
    It’s a pinnacle Iroko hardtail frame. I’ll try and give Evans a call. Thanks for the replies

nickdavies

3 systems, no not interchangeable. Have you got the frame yet? I’d bet money it will come with the axle you need… Never had a thru axle frame that didn’t come with a rear axle.

Jameso on here is probably your man to ask but if you’re impatient just order 1 each of the dt Swiss rws 142 axles off chain reaction and send the 2/3 you don’t need back? It’s either x-12, e-thru or x-loc.

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks Nick, really helpful

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep frame should come with the axle, the 142×12 should be the standard bit.

superstu
    Free Member

I’ve got the frame, sadly no axle. I’ll see what Evans say when I call them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well thats a little crap, should be in there as it will match the drop outs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘142 X 12 – what (m)axle do I need?’ is closed to new replies.