Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 140mm or more 29er frames with long reach?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend dome longer travel 29er frames with long reach? I’m looking at 480mm or longer on a frame that will suit me at 5 ft 11.

So far there is ;

the orange stage 6 . I like the look of this, just not convinced by single pivots

Nicolai – too expensive
    Pole – too expensive

Mondraker crafty – marketed as a 650b + but may fit 29. Also a bit steep.

Starling murmur. Looks great, but a long wait.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

kimbers

new Whyte if you can wait till august tho!

wl
    Free Member

I’d defo try the Orange if I were you – I demoed a Stage Five and it’s amazing. Glowing review of it in the 2017 Dirt 100 (the mag’s pick of the best bikes this year). I know guides riding the Stage 6 and they’re very impressed. With the right shock properly set, single pivot is a non-issue, apart from increasing reliability.

z1ppy

I wouldn’t bank on 650b+ fitting 29er tyres of a reasonable size.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’ve seen the new Whyte, it looks great but it won’t be a frame only option. I’m definitely interested in the stage 5 or 6.

davosaurusrex

Trek Fuel has reach over 480 in 21.5, short headtube and low standover. Seat tube might be a bit tall to run a long dropper and only 130mm travel though

chakaping
    Free Member

Mega 290, bit pricey frame-only at present (for a Nukeproof), but it has to end up in a sale at some point.

chakaping
    Free Member

Slash 29 also.

Very different feel to the Mega, I did a write-up after demoing both…

Wheelbase Big Demo Day: Trek Fuel EX, Mondraker Dune, Nukeproof Mega 290 and Trek Slash 29

gelert
    Free Member

I’m 5’10.5 and according to the chart I’d be a Large for Orange now. (Currently ride Medium 2014 Alpine 160 and M Five 2013).

I’d be careful looking for super long reach figures without trying them out. I was too… so went to a demo at the weekend.

I demoed a Stage 6 Large and a Four Large and really didn’t get on with the sizing. Nothing wrong with the 18 inch seat post + 150mm dropper but I couldn’t get them to turn in at all. I’d expected the Four in Large to fit me perfectly. I felt I was going to crash badly on those two bikes. Sadly no Med Stage 6 to try but there was a Four M.

I demoed a Stage 5 Medium (it was awesome fun and playful) and the Segment M (also very good, a surprise), Alpine 6 M (brilliant, but felt very like my Alpine160), Five M (hated it, expected to love it) and Four M (wow, rocket ship, and fun) and I was fine with those.

At a previous demo I found I was Large in Nukeproof Mega275 which has a 460mm reach I think. This was one reason I was looking for a longer reach figure and assumed Orange Large would be for me this time. It isn’t.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

The mega wasn’t really something I’d considered. Definitely on the list now though.

My current 650b bike has 467mm reach, I like that bit having ridden longer bikes, I also love them.

wl
    Free Member

gelert – out of interest, what didn’t you like about the M Five? Which bike will you go for? I’m 5′ 10″ nd now veering towards a M Alpine 6. It’s that or a Five. Stage 5 was mint, but I want the smaller wheel size.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Mondraker crafty – marketed as a 650b + but may fit 29. Also a bit steep.

I think Mondraker have a new bike coming out in the next week or so. I don’t know but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a 29er enduro/trail bike.

Northwind

Mega’s definitely worth a look though you do need to go to the XL to get 480mm.

It’s probably too short but might also be worth checking out the BMC Traifox, 460mm in the large (sadly there’s no XL or it’d probably be ideal). It was pretty massive when it came out but a couple of years old now.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’ll try to find some test bikes.

I’ve also seen the banshee prime. 5mm less travel but it looks very good

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m kind of in the same boat.

I tried the old Prime but it was just too similar to my Nicolai AC 29er to make me want to change. The 2017 frame does looks good though.

I’m also tempted by some of the current single pivot offerings but so far I’ve only managed a demo of the RocketMax, which was great fun and I instantly felt at home on the XL. Too short for you though at 463mm. I’m hopefully going to try a Stage 5 & 6 at an Orange demo day next month, as they both look good on paper and having spent the past 10 years on Horst link frames I’m keen to see what a modern Orange feels like.

Starling Murmur is lovely but as you’ve already pointed out there could be a long wait for one, and while some of the carbon offerings look great they tend to be significantly above the budget I set myself. I’m in no rush though.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve got a Starling Murmur and it’s honestly incredible! So easy to ride fast and a load of fun! Even pretty capable at Downhill races!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘140mm or more 29er frames with long reach?’ is closed to new replies.