Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 140mm handjob anyone?
  • johnduke
    Free Member

snigger.

Thinking about a change of frame and wondering how a Cove Handjob would deal with a 140mm fork? anyone running such a set-up? I know it's more about the crown to axle, so what forks are you using? my Thors are 520 so thats just over the recommended 510, but there's sag and they'll lock down for the climbs, could I get away with them?

Also, for bang on 6 foot would I want a 19.5 or 17.5? I ride a 19.5 hustler which I love but stand over is a bit limited.

jimmy

I've just got a 15.5 handjob running 140mm Bombers. Its not ideal, but they're long forks anyway. I reckon 120mm would be pretty neat.

johnduke
    Free Member

anyone else?

rj
    Free Member

I've been running 140 Floats. Not fantastic for climbing, but not disastrously bad either. Good for almost everything else, though.

Saying that, I've just spaced them down to 120. Haven't ridden it yet so can't offer a comparison.

Incidentally, I'm 5'7 and ride a 17.5, so I suspect you'd be better off with the 19.5. I've not ridden a Hustler, but the Handjob has bags of standover compared to a Hummer if that's any help.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought my old Rev wase a bit long at 130mm, the 120mm Reba I replaced it with is spot on.

I'm 5ft 8in-ish and 17.5 is perfect for me.

It has a short-ish top tube so bear that in mind if tempted to go for the smaller size.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I'm 5'11" and ride a 17.5" one.

Rides best with 115mm up front IMHO, 130mm is a bit too wandry on climbs.

Also you're gonna invalidate the frame warranty with 140mm on there

nickegg
    Free Member

5' 9" here and on a 17.5.

Fox Talas (95-130mm) which i do use but would be happy to run 120 all the time as i reckon thats the best compromise, 130mm is good on longer technical descents but i wouldn't miss the 10mm!. Some Fox F120 is what i would really like on it.

craig1975
    Free Member

I made the grave error on running a pair of pikes on my Hand job.. I got three rides out of it… then out on the trail at Mabie it died on me

good luck with the 140mm forks

johnduke
    Free Member

yikes!

Jamesy
    Free Member

yes but isn't that on the older handjobs ? I'm sure the new ones can take 130mm merlin told me the handjob would be fine with 140 mm , in think of putting rock shox revs on mine BTW

steve_b77
    Free Member

The model there is warrantied to 130mm, it's the same as mine an '08

Jamesy
    Free Member

so revs set to 130 will be fine then ? what's the Axel to crown length on these forks ?

rbmccunn
    Free Member

Love my Handjob! Im 6ft 2, 34 inside leg and ride a 17.5. It has 2008 fox talas 32’s (515mm crown to axle) on, 140mm feels a bit to much, 120mm feel’s best for me. Had 130mm non-u-turn revs (508mm crown to axle) and they were too long for climbing when I had my daughter on the back on her trail-a-bike. I recon 520mm is pushing it a bit, will prob feel too much and might snap it like craig1975's.
    The new ones are rated up to 510mm crown to axle too, Cove quote '100/120 Max Ride Height of 510mm with a 9mm Axle.'

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley he's stacked that?

Jamesy
    Free Member

revs set at 130 mm will be perfect on the the.new cove then

rudedog
    Free Member

craig1975 – Member
    I made the grave error on running a pair of pikes on my Hand job.. I got three rides out of it… then out on the trail at Mabie it died on me

good luck with the 140mm forks

How come the creases are on the bottom of the tubes? Looks much more like impact damage rather than anything you would expect to see from running forks which were too long.

rudedog
    Free Member

Forgot to add – I've got 140mm Fox floats on my HJ – axle to crown on the forks is 510mm, same as the maximum Cove recommend for the frame.

Climbs fine, goes down great.

craig1975
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Shirley he's stacked that?

I'm afraid not.. I was blasting through a very rooty section at the time

rudedog – Member
    How come the creases are on the bottom of the tubes? Looks much more like impact damage rather than anything you would expect to see from running forks which were too long.

you can be rest assured that the damage to the frame wasn't from air time, but… maybe you need to define what you mean by impact damage?? ill assume you mean from casing a landing or something like that, which didn't happen.

I did it by simply riding through some roots at probably around 15mph.. I will add I'm about 16 stone.. so I put it down to.. having the wrong forks and me probably being to big for the bike..

the frame I had was the one that could take up to 130mm forks as Cove recommend, as you can see it has the gusset plate on the down tube, which the later models have..

Jamesy
    Free Member

the handjobs not the type of bike for pikes there more suited to the stirred

Kit
    Free Member

John Duke – I tried the Thors from my Hustler on my HJ, and they did feel too much, although downhill it was a blast. Have also had 130mm Vanillas and 110-130mm Revelations. Both felt a bit 'long' for most riding. Now riding with Reba 120 with the Maxle (previously had Fox F120 (Jesus, how many forks have I tried!)) and it feels pretty good.

I'm just under 6' with a 33" inside leg (or thereabouts) and although the 17.5" is maybe a little small, the 19.5" would have been too big. My Hustler was also a 17.5" and fitted me fine.

Obligatory pic 🙂

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=handjob&w=7509988%40N07

rudedog
    Free Member

craig1975 – Member

you can be rest assured that the damage to the frame wasn't from air time, but… maybe you need to define what you mean by impact damage?? ill assume you mean from casing a landing or something like that, which didn't happen.

What I meant by impact damage is that it looks like the bikes been ridden into something stationary – the creases look to be only on the bottom of the tubes as if the head tube has been forced backwards into the bike.

SigmaF
    Free Member

I've tried a number of forks/heights etc on my 17.5 2009 HJob…..

Without doubt, bike felt more balanced with a 130mm coil bolt through!!……..although geometry corrected for 130, when sat in sag at around 120 the bike works really well.

Did run a 140 for a while with more sag, but just seems to prefer around the 120 mark!

You certainly get the most from a Handjob with stiff, bolted front-end.

Currently running a 130mm Reba Air with maxle……okay, but not a Pike!!

We've have a demo you can try too btw!!

Jamesy
    Free Member

where are you sigma ?

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me how fun my HJ is to ride.

It hasn't been out of the garage since my Zesty arrived, but it may get a run around the woods sometime soon.

craig1975
    Free Member

What I meant by impact damage is that it looks like the bikes been ridden into something stationary – the creases look to be only on the bottom of the tubes as if the head tube has been forced backwards into the bike

ah in that case I guess a series of roots would probably come under as stationary… resulting in said inpact damages.. pity it happened as I really liked that frame 😥

I still wouldn't recommend 140mm forks..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘140mm handjob anyone?’ is closed to new replies.