• This topic has 40 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 140mm forks other than fox/rockshox
  • walla24
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience with lightweight 140mm forks other than from two big brands? the dt swiss XM range look pretty impressive?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had some Magura thor’s. I could never control the rebound on them and so hated them.

Sold them and got some nice 454 coil Pikes.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by X-Fusion if my Pikes ever die.

philstone

I’ve got some X-Fusion Velvet RLX on my Mojo, I didn’t think they were going to that good (I was adamant my RC40 Fighters were going to go on it) but I’m so impressed with them it looks like the Fighters might be going…

zbonty

My Thors worked pretty well. Rebound certainly never an issue. Marzocchi are good again are’nt they?

retro83
    Free Member

philstone – Member

I’ve got some X-Fusion Velvet RLX on my Mojo, I didn’t think they were going to that good (I was adamant my RC40 Fighters were going to go on it) but I’m so impressed with them it looks like the Fighters might be going…

Any idea what they’re like for parts/servicing? Haven’t seen anyone who works on them yet.

honourablegeorge

140mm Bos Deville?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Marzo 44 rc3 ti?

philstone

retro83 – Member

Any idea what they’re like for parts/servicing? Haven’t seen anyone who works on them yet.

Nope… that’s my only concern, however I’m hoping that by the time they need a service there should be some better support. I know some parts can be obtained through 2Pure who are the Ibis importer..

chestrockwell

I’ve got some DT XMM 140’s and think they’re ace. As I’ve said before on the forum, I prefer them to the Fox Float, Fox Talas and RS Revs I had before. Get some, you won’t be dissapointed. 😉

wwaswas

Marzo 44 rc3 ti

Disappointingly only an ‘unadjustable with internal spacers’ 150mm now 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Disappointingly only an ‘unadjustable with internal spacers’ 150mm now

+1

As for magura apparently they re-tuned the damper for 2010 which got rid of the magura characteristic top out (and made the compression a bit more noticable). And the new ones are 15mm, which is anoying seeing as I’ve shed load of spare 20mm front wheels.

MrNice
    Free Member

Disappointingly only an ‘unadjustable with internal spacers’ 150mm now

will 10mm make that much difference? it’s only 7mm once it’s sagged…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can well understand wanting to try something other than the ubiqutious Fox/Rockshox choices, so would probably either opt for Thors or Marzocchi if it were me. The latter has the ironclad warranty, the former is easy to work on – if my Wotans are anything to go by.

DT Swiss have taken an eight year old Pace design, doubled the retail cost. While that might be oversimplifying things a teeny bit, the fact remains that they come across as massively overpriced.

walla24
    Free Member

whats the dif between single and double shot dampning?

strike
    Free Member

“DT Swiss have taken an eight year old Pace design”

Common misconception/myth. The only thing that is the same as the Pace forks is the reverse arch, and that’s only in terms of design.

The outers are all-new magnesium design, that are SUPER-stiff. The wiper seals are a new design. The old Pace box crown has been ditched. The airspring is all-new, and the dampers have been completely re-designed. Add to that big increases in quality control. Yes the DT’s are expensive, but if you shop around there are deals to be had. They’re no more expensive than Fox in many cases (which, yes, I know are expensive too), but whilst costing more than RS, the quality is undoubtedly higher than RS. I own 2 pairs of DT Forx > An EXM150 that replaced a pair of TALAS Forx and an XMM100 that replaced a pair of SIDs. In both cases, performance is better, and compared to the SIDs, the quality of the XMM100 forks are miles ahead.

Singleshot damping features lok-out and rebound adjustment.

Twinshot damping features lok-out, lok-down (like the old Pace Launch Control and Marzocchi ECC) and rebound asjustment.

But to add to the above, if I wanted a cheaper fork, I’d try X-Fusion. They seem very good and I think very shortly they’ll be giving RS quite a pasting. The 2013 models will also feature X-Fusion’s version of Kashima coating.

boxfish
    Free Member

+1 DT Swiss XMM140 Twinshot. Try Germany German websites for better deals.

strike
    Free Member

or even ebay.de

“DT Swiss federgabel”!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Marzo 44 rc3 ti – Disappointingly only an ‘unadjustable with internal spacers’ 150mm now

Is that right – source of info? I’ve been meaning to ask Windwave. (palm to forehead for missing the last 140’s when they were still around if true). Loving my 150’s.

I’ve not tried the longer travel Maguras for a little while but Katie is running 100mm Durins at the moment and they’re really impressive. Seem stiff and well controlled. Current range doesn’t seem to have anything between the Durin X at 120mm and the Thor at 150mm though

wwaswas

simon – came up when crc were selling off a load of Marz forks cheap a month or two back – I’m sure Dan @ windwave will confirm though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That thread says you can’t reduce the travel on the 140mm version. I’ve a vague memory that you could either *increase* the 140mm to 150mm or reduce the 150mm to 140mm at some point.

wwaswas

simon – I’d email or tweet Dan – I understood that it wasn’t possibel (certainly if you wanted to drop the a-c too) without changing spring and no alternative springs were available.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But to add to the above, if I wanted a cheaper fork, I’d try X-Fusion. They seem very good and I think very shortly they’ll be giving RS quite a pasting. The 2013 models will also feature X-Fusion’s version of Kashima coating.

I’m not going to knock them before I’ve tried them, but I can’t see them worrying the top end of the market just yet. Just becasue they have high/low speed compression and reboundad adjusters like a FOx RC2 or kashiman coated stanchions doesn’t make them as good. Bit like my focus has the same controlls as a Ferrari (3 pedals, gear and handbrake levers and a steering wheel), but isn’t going to win Le Mans. And most of the reviews peg them at a level with the basic to mid range RS/fox forks, so they’re not even that cheep in comparison.

strike
    Free Member

Many of the reviews I’ve read (in US mags/US websites) rate them as very good, and unlike some of the competition, they’re using all-metal internals (which has to be a good thing). And why, in time, can they not do the same things as Fox do, to make them just as good? They seemingly have the tech behind them (Joel Smith from (better days of) Manitou and now Paul Turner, founder of RS).

Essentially what I’ve seen is that you appear to be getting more for your money from the X-Fusion forks.

But as ever, time will tell and what they’re fighting is established brand names and marketing machines and not solely fighting on performance alone.

sprocker
    Free Member

RC3 ti’s are 522mm axle to crown 3 mm more than a 140 rev so should not change handling much but you have 10mm more travel. Not that light but very plush I love mine, 2 year guarantee.

nedrapier

Cheers sprocker, very interesting. I’ve been eyeing up the Micro switch 44s, but really want 100/110 – 140.

Does anyone know A to C measurement of the xfusion?

And does anyone know if either/both of these ride just as well at low end of the adjust?

I think I’d be using mine for general xc with a hooning function, rather than long travel with a climbing function.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have the DT Swiss XMM 140 forks on my hardtail – superb fork, prefer them to my Talas 140 on the full sus.

Anyway, im splitting my hardtail so the XMM140’s are for sale. Serviced in December, super plush, working great. If anyone is interested drop me an email for more info.

br
    Free Member

Thor 140’s here, and very happy over the 2 years and countless miles – stiff and make the front wheel go where I want. They have Magura’s ‘talas’ version, but tbh I never used it after the first week so took the cables off.

PJM1974
    Free Member

But to add to the above, if I wanted a cheaper fork, I’d try X-Fusion.

They certainly seem to be getting their act together of late.

Nothing wrong with an unknown quantity…back in early 2006 I bought a bargain basement priced fork from a manufacturer with a less than stellar reputation for reliability. The fork itself was in an odd size and featured damping technology which was derided for being overly simple in the face of the competition. My riding buddies suggested that it would probably be landfill within a year.

That fork was a Rockshox Pike and it’s still in perfect order today on the front of my hardtail.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got some 140mm Marzocchi’s (can’t remember the exact model)- they ride really well but are quite heavy.

ChrisL

Who’s actually selling the X-Fusion forks? I did a few searches a while back when WMB and ST did their reviews but couldn’t find much sign of UK shops that were actually selling them.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Marzo 44 rc3 ti?

Yep, loving mine (2010 @ 140mm)
    The best fork I’ve had, with the best warranty (3 years, no servicing required).

Having said that, I’d happily swap my 140 for your 150 if anyone out there is desparate to have less travel.
    I’d not swap for any other brand/model though!

AntLockyer
    Free Member

I’d like some x-fusion velvets, someone I trust in the MTB world swears by them.

strike
    Free Member

Upgrade are the UK agents (as far as I know) – ie Kineses importer.

warpcow
    Free Member

519mm at 140mm according to the website.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Micro Switch TA here site mentions 130mm stroke as well as 150mm but can’t see them for sale anywhere. Could be internal spacer to reduce?

philstone

warpcow – Member
    519mm at 140mm according to the website.

Confirmed – I measured mine the other day when comparing them to my RC40’s..

nedrapier

Cool, cheers guys. I fancy the Marz micro switch, but 150-120 travel isn’t ideal.

3mm more on the A2C than xfusions 140-110 sounds very bearable!

mildred

I’ve got a set of marzocchi 66 rc3ti & 44 rc3ti and agree with the above above how well behaved they are. They feel very plush and sensitive to small bumps at normal trail speeds but without feeling soft into corners, berms etc. in other words they don’t feel too soft or make the bike feel like a seesaw. However, where they really shine is on the fast and rough stuff, big hits, landings etc. they control their travel so well that they’re pretty much unnoticeable.

I’m in the process of selling my 44’s to get hold of some 55’s (just because the extra length would suit my Blood a lot more), but as far as manufacturer is concerned I’ll be sticking with Marzocchi.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘140mm forks other than fox/rockshox’ is closed to new replies.