Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 140mm coil forks – options?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

On my Soul, I’ve run uturn Pikes and Recons (130mm) in the recent past, and currently have a set of coil Sektors but I’m toying with the idea of replacing them (or maybe upgrading the internals) and was wondering what options there are out there.

I really liked the Pikes I had but the Soul is built pretty light these days and Pikes are not that light…

The Sektors are okay but seem to get a bit out of control when you build speed. Whether this is a damping issue, which can be sorted with upgraded internals, or just basic flexiness I’m not quite sure.

What I really want is a modern ‘successor’ to the Pike – lighter, but basically the same design brief. I thought the Sektors would be this but they aren’t quite as stiff or controlled…

I suppose I could be persuaded to go air, perhaps, but generally perfer coil.

What options are there? Van? Marz?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve got some 2009 Vanilla 140 RLCs on my Evil. They feel great, with plenty of adjustments and are relatively light, but they aren’t really stiff enough for me. I tend to ride the Evil like I stole it and with the 15mm axle the Vanillas are a little bit too flexy. TBH, I think I need some Pikes or similar for stiffness at the expense of a bit more weight.

I believe there’s a gap in the market for a well damped, coil sprung, 34mm stanchion, 20mm axle lightish weight fork.

Fox damping, Magura Chassis, Marzocchi service intervals and Rock Shox pricing, please.

Rickos
    Free Member

Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti sound like they’ll fit the bill. Not travel adjustable on the go though if that matters. 2010 were 140mm and 2011 were 150mm IIRC.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I read somewhere that Marz 44s could be a bit flexy? Sounded similar to the Vanillas to me, but could be worth checking out.

I seem to think CRC were doing half price 44 RC3s a bit back? Can’t get on the site to check at the moment…

RustyMac

The Marz 55 RC3 Ti forks are getting great reviews at the moment by various people on the forum so the 44’s as Rickos suggests could be a good shout.

Before ditching the Sektors drop Si at Loco Tuning an email, he has done various upgrades for folk on Sektors and Revs so may be able to advise on a route to improve your current forks.

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, but they sold out pretty sharpish I believe.

EDIT – the 44 RC3’s I mean.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

drop Si at Loco Tuning an email

Already have 8) That’s where the ‘upgrade the internals’ comment came from. I guess my concern is that maybe the solution is a burlier fork, rather than just throwing cash at the Sektors to improve how they feel.

I’ve pondered the 44s – they do sound plush, but again, burliness is maybe a concern.

Anyone ridden the 44 and a Sektor? or even a 44 and a Pike?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Sektors with the black box rebound damper?

I have Pikes currently. have bought the damper from LOCO ready for my sektors, still on back order at CRC though….they were only £186 in the xmas sale though!

So can’t comment on performance yet. But I was looking for the same traits as you so hoping the upgraded sektors will be better?

Are the sektors noticably less stiff than the Pikes?

Oh, and are you running a 20mm axle?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

IMHO 44 ti is plenty burly enough for anything you’re likely to want to chuck a 140mm forked hardtail down.
    I’ve had them on a Meta 5 and now on an Orange 5 with a fairly burly build. Both have been quite happy with 6ft drops to flat and smashing clumbsily through boulder-strewn descents.
    The only thing I’d consider changing to would be a 55 ti if I had some spare cash 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[yep the Sektors are 20mm]

The Sektors are less burly than Pikes, yes.

The 44 are expensive though, well the 2012 versions appear to be at any rate.

Has anyone tried to lighten a Pike? What about a ti spring?

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you still have the Pikes put the compression damper in the sektors. That will tell you if its the damper or the chassis.

vinnyeh

Aye, but they sold out pretty sharpish I believe.

Form an orderly queue…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Once I have my sektors with the BB damper installed will let you know how they compare to Pikes.

From a previous thread

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    Just whoomphed the black-boxed Sektors over the Jacob’s Ladder track, feel ace, compliant and very composed at high speed, which was where they were a little iffy before.

As good as my Pushed Pikes, I think, which I really rate. I stuck the original top-out spring kebab style on the new black box rebound damper, no issues with harsh top-out or anything else so far.

Just a very nice 150mm coil u-turn fork that seems on a par with Push upgrades and the latest Revelations, both of which I’ve ridden. Nice upgrade, worth doing if you ride fast rocky stuff in the Peak etc.

Posted 9 months ago # Report-Post

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers nick

tweaking the Sektors looks the most likely option today. Saturday is another day, of course…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Hopefully in the next few weeks. CRC have been promising them for end of the month…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘140mm coil forks – options?’ is closed to new replies.