• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 140/150mm Fork Deals & Experiences
  • mrbotticelli

Would appreciate some help trying to select a new fork.

It’s to replace some 140mm Fox Van R 32’s that has succumb to some stanchion wear.  They will be fitted to a 2007 Marin Quad Tara so I need an old school steerer, I have a switch hub on the front so am flexible on axle size, and guess that a 140 or 150mm fork will be fine.

The bike doesn’t get much use, but has managed 5/6 days in the Alps for the last few years so I’d like to keep the budget under £300 if possible.

Contenders so far seem to be the 2 options below, what do people think, any experience of either?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-sektor-gold-rl-dual-position-coil-15mm-2014/rp-prod109678
    £246

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-revelation-rl-forks-58513.html
    £309

Any other deals I should look at? 

mrbotticelli

A bump for the morning crowd.

Very tempted to get some new forks, but would be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about these forks or knows of any good deals.

Cheers 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’ve the Merlin ones on my HT, bought last year and replaced a knackered pair of Thor’s.

They work great, are light and stiff.

Only issue is to make sure you aren’t hamfisted with the Maxle as it is the old-style one and easily damaged. Mine is ok but a pal’s has already been replaced.

mrbotticelli

Thanks for the heads up on the maxle, how do your tell the difference between old and new in both real life and on a website?

What are peoples thoughts on 15mm, maxle etc? Is one better or worse than the other?

br
    Free Member

Those RS’s look like the old style ones, but at £300 you have to accept some ‘weaknesses’. And tbh, just show a bit of care when taking them out/in.

The 15mm isn’t as stiff IMO as a 20mm, but if you’ve no option on a 20mm then it’s a bit pointless.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘140/150mm Fork Deals & Experiences’ is closed to new replies.