Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,032 total)
  • "1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham"
  • kimbers

i think it goes a lot deeper than just saying ‘its pc gone mad!’

MoreCashThanDash

I would have argued with binners for his Daily Wail style description there.

But having heard a couple of tales from MrsMC recently about who has moved to work at Rotherham, and the way contracts had recently been set up by her council, and then last night an equally appalling tale of cronyism from a mate at another council, I fear he is correct.

In the interests of balance, other more southerly, right wing tales of corruption are probably also available.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jump before you’re pushed? So if they all resign, will it still be full gold-plated pensions for all? I think we can guess the answer to that one. I’m sure they had their lawyers check the small print and get it all signed off before they walked. They’re utterly shameless!!

Classic civil service techniques.

binners

MCTD – I have a good mate who worked at the Home Office for years, and has been involved as a consultant with most of the town councils in the north west. And the tales of ‘Jobs for the Boys’ are unbelievable. Its so blatant! Like I said, its endemic. Every senior position is a stitch up, where party loyalists are shoe-horned into highly paid positions despite having absolutely no relevant experience or skills in that area.

And theres no doubt that its this culture that created the absolute scandal of Rotherham. And I wouldn’t be surprised if we subsequently find exactly the same in every authority in the North West.

I don’t know what its like daaaaahn saaaaaaarf with Tory controlled councils. I’d expect its much the same, just with more expensive suits

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Given many MPs and members of government started out as councillors, would it be fair to assume that the whole system as it stands is a bit ropey?

Between Rotherham, trafficking kids from carehomes to be raped by MPs and countless other scandals, from expenses, to bailing out banks and illegal wars, can we trust these people to use our taxes on our behalf?

MoreCashThanDash

Jhj – I wouldn’t trust a career politician for a whole number of reasons, even before I start to consider your nest of conspiracy theories! 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Not trusting politicians is of course natural, but how just how much can be tolerated before major change for the better becomes inevitable?

MoreCashThanDash

“We” get what “we” vote for. I know there a lot of arguments around that, but we are veering off topic if we go there!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given many MPs and members of government started out as councillors,

would it be unreasonable of me to ask for an actual % value to the claim of “many” and an actual % to prove this is accurate …and of course your data.
    Its your claim no I wont do my own research

On the trust scales only journalists and conspiracists are less trusted than MP’s

craigxxl
    Free Member

“We” get what “we” vote for. I know there a lot of arguments around that, but we are veering off topic if we go there!

You get who your party want you to vote for otherwise it’s some other party. Next time your party puts someone else forward who may again not be who you want.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I suspect that what was (and still is) going on in Rotherham is going on all over the place.

The problem is with local government and an endemic culture of cronyism

@binners
    , Agreed totally (and with rest of the post). It was raised on Newsnight that the fact Rotherham is safe Labour seat means there is no challenge to or checks on what has gone before, whatever the council do they will get re-elected.

When people push for more local government control what they are actually proposing is people like this having more power and influence. We all critise the quality of MPs from time to time, just consider the MPs are the cream of the crop, below them in local government are people not good enough to be MPs

South Yorkshire police have some very serious questions of their own to answer.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

would it be unreasonable of me to ask for an actual % value to the claim of “many” and an actual % to prove this is accurate …and of course your data.

Yes, it would be unreasonable since:

no I wont do my own research

Given the intrinsic ties between the political parties and local government, the career path of MPs often involves working within councils before being elected for parliament.

If you want percentages, you’ll have to do the digging, but I can assure you my claim of many is entirely reasonable.

Back on topic, it’s promising that this has finally been exposed, but given the intrinsic links between local and national government and the interests of many to avoid exposing their own failures, the true scale of similar problems nationwide is still some way from being exposed.

Lifer
    Free Member

If you make a claim, back it the **** up you charlatan.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You really want me to research the claims you make? shakes head. If you state something it really is your duty to offer the proof for your claim….even small children know this.. If you really cannot get that point you are even more stupid and trolly than the high bench mark you have set so far on STW.
    You bring nothing to the table but hyperbole and stupidity.

I can assure you my claim of many is entirely reasonable.

Well who could disagree with that 😕
    As for the intrinsic link we are still waiting for it to be shown still if you say it often enough 🙄

I cannot be arsed engaging with you as my only weapons are logic, facts and reason and you are shielded from the effects of these by your own , wilful, stupidity and “humorous” arrogance.

binners

All career politician (there is no other type), of any colour, nowadays follow exactly the same route

Private School
    Study PPE at Oxbridge
    Press office/think-tank or other forum of blue-sky-la-la-land-bollocks
    Imposed on/parachuted into safe seat, completely against the wishes of the local constituents

I’d suggest that working for a local council is far too ‘Real World’ for Westminster. I doubt theres more than a handful, if any, that came through that route

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Quick snapshot…

Theresa May

She served as a Councillor for the London Borough of Merton from 1986 to 1994, where she was chairman of Education (1988–90) and Deputy Group Leader and Housing Spokesman (1992–94).

John Major

He stood as a candidate for Lambeth London Borough Council at the age of 21 in 1964, and was elected in the Conservative landslide in 1968. While on the Council he was Chairman of the Housing Committee, being responsible for overseeing the building of several large council housing estates. He lost his seat in 1971

Margaret Hodge

Hodge was first elected as a councillor for the London Borough of Islington in 1973. She soon became chairman of the Housing Committee (opting to use “chairman” rather than “chair”). This was a critical post in an authority with one of the worst sets of housing statistics in London and in a period when London boroughs were expected to be housing providers and managers. Hodge’s tenure as housing chairman saw the continuation of a large new housing programme. There was a change of emphasis to the refurbishment of sound older buildings (e.g. Charteris Road, Alexander Road areas), in response to a paper published by the local Islington Housing Action Group.[11] At one point, Hodge’s deputy chairman was Jack Straw, subsequently a Cabinet member during Tony Blair’s time as prime minister.

John Mann

Active in the Labour Party from his youth (Pudsey South Labour Party), his activities have taken him from residence in London (he was a councillor in the London Borough of Lambeth), to Lewes in East Sussex, Baldock in Hertfordshire and Worksop in Bassetlaw.

Keith Vaz

Before his political career, Vaz was a practising solicitor. In 1982, he was employed as a solicitor to Richmond upon Thames London Borough Council; and later as a senior solicitor to the London Borough of Islington.

Alistair Darling

He was elected as a councillor to the Lothian Regional Council in 1982

Andrew Mitchell

Mitchell was the only Conservative member of Islington Health Authority (IHA) in north London during the 1980s

Simon Danczuk

Danczuk has been involved in the Labour movement for many years having joined the Labour Party through the GMB trade union in the late 1980s. At the age of 27, he was elected as a councillor to Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, serving for eight years with portfolios including economic development and then education

Paul Boateng

Boateng was elected to the Greater London Council for Walthamstow in 1981, which was then under the leadership of Ken Livingstone.

Diane Abbott

Abbott’s career in politics began in 1982 when she was elected to Westminster City Council serving until 1986.

Of course, that is not an exhaustive list, but should give you an insight into just how intertwined the networks of the nations government are.

To be honest, I’m not sure if anyone has done studies to reveal the percentages, but it certainly seems to put meat on my claim of ‘many’.

Lifer
    Free Member

10 out of 500, some of whom aren’t serving anymore.

Alongside the ‘Report Post’ can we have a ‘Dubious Facts’ button that puts a border round a flagged post?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

10 out of 500 650

Alongside the ‘Report Post’ can we have a ‘Dubious Facts’ button that puts a border round a flagged post?

😉

Seriously though, those were just a few names I chose at random~ I could have been remarkably lucky and they are the select few who have followed that path or (far more likely) it could be that as Party members, many MPs have had involvement in local councils, many of which likely have child abuse scandals of their own…

binners

Has anyone else been able to fathom Keith Vaz? Patently an absolutely useless, egotistical half-wit, yet seems to get where water can’t.

He’s clearly very important though

Junkyard
    Free Member

many of which likely have child abuse scandals of their own…

Please may I ask what many means again

Not sure do i go for 🙄 or for 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You can certainly ask…

Perhaps you could even consult credible and verifiable evidence like a dictionary to get your answer…

😉

nedrapier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MPs_for_constituencies_in_England_2010-15#Full_Current_composition

Have a churn through yourselves. links to each serving MP’s wiki page with career details. I got through the first 10 or so, with more ex-councillors than not, but it’s actually very interesting to see where our MPs have come from.

I’ll have another go later.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Thanks for that ned, good find.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would consult the tea leaves before you

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Well, that figures, I’ll stick to facts…

😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Has anyone else been able to fathom Keith Vaz? Patently an absolutely useless, egotistical half-wit, yet seems to get where water can’t.

Funny you should mention that binners…

Keith Vaz’s past does call into question his suitability to chair the Home Affairs Select Committee:

~He was a solicitor on Richmond council at the time children were being trafficked from Grafton Close care home to Elm Guest House

~He was also a solicitor on Islington council at the time children were being trafficked from care homes to various locations, including Jersey and thus Haut de la Garenne, ‘The Jersey House of Horrors’. The scandal hangs over Margaret Hodge to this day

~He proposed a new law to protect his friend Greville Janner, who mysteriously came down with dementia just as police started investigating allegations he had abused children in care homes

~Of course the fact that he attended a Tamil conference with Jimmy Savile is more than likely coincidental

but the fact that he shared a close friend with Savile, Stephen Purdew,

who helped arrange Savile’s funeral is a touch more worrying

~Also a bit odd that a police investigation that revealed he’d allegedly received mysterious funds to the tune of £500,000

Of course, all of this could be nothing, but you’d imagine Keith would take the time to disclose these matters and dispel any concerns especially after the Home Affairs Select Committee accidentally published the details of some of the victims, resulting in death threats

spchantler
    Free Member

25 arrests in calderdale
    jy and jive, isn’t it time you two kissed and made up? this has gone on too long…

Junkyard
    Free Member

this is us having fun[ Well it is from me anyway] with each other. If we were being serious I would copy and paste loads and he would be posting up you tube videos 😉

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Aye, it’s just a bit of thumbwar 😉

kimbers

The jobs for mates thing is pretty depressing, but its throughout the political spectrum

what qualifications does Jeremy Hunt have that he can run the NHS?, as far as I know hes a PR guy who got the job as a reward because he took the flak over the dodgy murdoch bskyb buyout

now hes health sec hes happily signing away on a whole load of new PPI deals, that labour darent criticise

If you cant expect competence at that level what hope do we have for a local council

gobuchul
    Free Member

Tin foil hats on now.

Well JHJ what about that then?

ninfan
    Free Member

Another 20 with ‘surnames that may or may not be indicative of their racial or religious profile’ in Newcastle::

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumbria-police-charged-20-people-8587632

binners

I’m sure we can look forward to a similar dream combination of misguided political correctness, complacency and rank incompetence emerging, as in Rotherham. And a subsequent refusal to take any responsibility for it, from the usual suspects.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m sure we can look forward to a similar dream combination of misguided political correctness, complacency and rank incompetence emerging, as in Rotherham. And a subsequent refusal to take any responsibility for it, from the usual suspects.

you mean you don’t share their Common Purpose?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Tin foil hats on now.

Well JHJ what about that then?

Probably coincidental, but foul play is conceivable under the circumstance: in the Dutroux affair (said to involve an immense child abuse network linked to Belgian* and Dutch Government & Royalty) at least 27 victims and witnesses died mysteriously.

The deaths of Leon Brittan (*who spent some years in Brussels) and John Stingemore who ran the Grafton Close care home (whilst Keith Vaz was on Richmond Council) are likely coincidental given their ages, but if the pattern continues as the case progresses, we’ll have to storm parliament with pitchforks n stuff.

tymbian
    Free Member

Videos, files, evidence etc gone missing..there’s a surprise. ..same sh1t different day, do I have confidence in the government to see that nothing else goes missing and that a full investigation, leading to the arrests and trials of all involved no matter how high up it goes?? Most Definately not.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Seems the Home Office were also well aware as far back as 2002

Whilst this in no way excuses the council’s conduct, makes you wonder if they’re being used as a scapegoat for a larger scale cover-up…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

as Party members, many MPs have had involvement in local councils, many of which likely have child abuse scandals of their own…

Just keeps coming… 13 Care homes, potentially more than 150 abusers in Nottinghamshire

jambalaya
    Free Member

These additional abuse cases are very serious, I posted about the Oxfordshire one elsewhere.

As an aside Cameron is one of 6 Oxfordshire MPs (mostly Tory with 1 Labour). The council is Labour controlled. Its not a party political issue IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,032 total)

The topic ‘"1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham"’ is closed to new replies.