Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 14" wheel kids bikes – other than Isla and Frog
  • lister

Hi folks,
    I can’t get the search function to come up with any answers, so apologies if this has been done recently!

My nephew is due his 1st pedal bike for his birthday but even if I go in part payments with my parents we’re struggling to raise the sort of money needed for Frog or Islabikes.

I’d like to get him a new bike, as light as possible but sub £200.

Any thing good out there?

I say the Commencal Ramones 14 which could be a option…

Cheers

paladin

recently got my lad a 24″ hoy bonaly to replace his 20″ islabike, and id say the quality is similar between them and the hoy’s weight is good too, so on that i’d recommend a Hoy.
    However, on looking, it seems the smallest is 16″, so thats maybe no help whatsoever, but may be worth a look.
    oh, and its at evans, so if youve got tesco vouchers, you can use them to pay some of it 🙂

hoy bonaly

Drac
    Harry_the_Spider

My kids have both been through one of these. My nephew has it now and his sister will get it in 3 years no doubt.

It looks a bit battered after the abuse but it still keeps on going.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/ridgeback-mx14-14-inch-wheel-bike-2015-12927?gclid=CLm8nIHz9MsCFZVahgodjc0HBQ

From experience though they will grow out of it quite quickly. My daughter (aged 6) is still on the bigger MX16 which is a really nice little bike.

lister

Cheers Drac…I did try, but not that set of words!

TiRed

14″ is a bit of a dead end. Isla and frog are trying hard to sell you a size you don’t really need because that is their business model.

12-16-20-24 is a very good progression and has served my own and extended family (16 children) and friends very well.

That’s why they aren’t that easy to find.

natrix
    Free Member

Does it have to be new??

I bought an Islabike CNOC 14 for £90 off the bay, son ragged it mercilessly in the local woods for a couple of years, daughter then rode it until she too outgrew it. Just sold it for £120.

You don’t need a degree in economics to see that they make sense, certainly with the smaller sized bikes.

lister

I’d like it to be new, to keep my snobbish sister happy 🙂

My kids have had 2nd hand ones but she is less keen…and I really can’t be arsed with ebay these days.

That ridgeback from freeborn looks good for the money. Thanks Mr Spider!

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure about the 14″ wheel size, but our kids got 3-4 years use out of a second hand Ridgeback MX16, and only lost a tenner when I sold it on.

TheDTs
    Free Member

As said on the other thread, There is a Used Islabike Facebook Group.
    Cheaper than new, if you can get passed the used bike idea.

I just got a 14″ Cnoc for our daughters birthday.
    I think in future we will stop having bike ownership (For the kids, of course). If we stop giving them bikes for birthdays they will be easier to hand down to the younger sister..

steve_b77
    Free Member

lister – Member
    I’d like it to be new, to keep my snobbish sister happy

Well the Frog 43 is £195, so under your £200 budget and it’s a fair chunk lighter than the Ridgeback

monkeychild
    Free Member

The pinnacle 16″ is well light and really nice. My other lad has a ridgeback mx16 it is ace but the pinnacle is miles lighter. Both of them 2nd hand cost me £90

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘14" wheel kids bikes – other than Isla and Frog’ is closed to new replies.