Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 1/4" Socket set – what's good
  • geoffj

Looking at the Halfrauds professional one – linky

Or a Bahco one n Amazon – linky

Owt else to consider? Not too fussed about price, but less than £50 would be good.

tron
    Free Member

Any particular reason not to go for 3/8″? Tough enough to work on the car then.

Anyway, a cheap Chrome Vanadium one with “walldrive” style sockets is the answer. My Sealey socket set cost £20 from Euro Car Parts (so probably £25-£30 now), and it’s tough as. Had a lot of hammer, including using a 1/2″ to 3/8″ adaptor and an air powered rattle gun.

CHB

get the halfords set for 99 quid that has all three socket sizes and all the sockets you are likely to need. I bought one four years ago and it was a great investment.

wwaswas

The Halfords Pro one’s pretty good, ime.

CHB

though for fifteen quid the quarter inch set is a steal.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Another vote for Halfords professional range. Got a few bits in me tool box; great quality and fantastic value imo. Know a few mechanicky types who rate them, and the mechanics in a bike shop I worked in would insist on them as they weren’t allowed Snap On or owt esoteric. I’ve had a 15mm spanner for pedal duties for ages now, ten years or more and it’s still good as new.

The sets are unbeatable value for money. Can’t go wrong. Even better if you get lucky in their sales; 30% off or even more.

I buy mostly Halfords or Draper tools.
    I work on trucks and buses every day and the more expensive brands aren’t any better.

geoffj

Mmmm, the big Halfords one does look nice, but I’ve already got the bigger stuff. I think the Bahco one actually looks better quality. I’ll probably order one and see how it feels.

Ta

stgeorge

Kamasa

This one is good

timber

At home I’ve a mix of Kamasa and Halfords pro, and the former certainly has a nicer rathcet and feel.

At work we’ve a half inch Bahco set that has just replaced the Stanley set after the ratchet exploded and as half the sockets were split. Only been in the workshop a month so can’t say much, but feels nice.

Also got a big drive set for the tractor, no idea what that is but still all complete despite using it in conjunction with 8′ scaffold bar with 2 blokes bouncing on the end.

donsimon
    Free Member

Get to your nearest Brown Brothers and have a look at their Taskmaster range (if they still do it), not expensive and used by many a mechanic who can’t afford Snap-On, but comes with a lifetime warranty (if they still do it).

It is a very long time since I worked there.

T1000
    Free Member

over your price limit but would recomend stahlwille or Elora

tommytowtruck

That little Halfords set is great for the money – I got one last time they were in the sale.

PePPeR

I’ve had one of those sets for about ten years, I was given it as a present by a friend, it has been everywhere with me and is my go to tool set when I need something quickly, the screwdriver is actually an extension bar too as it has a 1/4 drive in the top of it, so you can use it on those nasty Torx bolts where you need to press down and twist at the same time!

speshspenner
    Free Member

Iv’e got that small Bahco set at work and it’s great..there also really cheap, i use Snap On at home but thats because there left over tools from a previous job.

craigxxl
    Free Member

+1 Bahco, quality tools at a great price. Halfords is good too but more expensive.

Northwind

The little Teng 1/4 set is lovely… Very tough, and still has the nice textured finish that makes the tools much easier to handle even when covered in engine oil. It’s not really any better than most cheaper kits, but it’s a pleasure to use.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a Britool set I had as an apprentice, 37 years and still going strong.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for Halfords Pro

geoffj

Th bahco set turned up today. Nice solid feel with super clicky ratchet and decent case with good labels. Well chuffed 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘1/4" Socket set – what's good’ is closed to new replies.