Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 14" (wheel) kids bikes
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Ridgeback Honey looks favourite at the moment, looks like a proper bike with decent brakes etc.

IslaBike looks good but is a fair few quid more (and doesnt come in pink) and the Ridgeback is on sale at the moment.

Anything else I should consider?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cnoc 14 is the way to go IMO. Yes it’s more cash but resale is high too, so cost of ownership is competive. Having said that, if they can fit on the Cnoc16 then that’s even better – more stable.

tinsy
    Free Member

Think I have just seen a thread today that says the Isla now comes in pink.

geoffj

I’d go with 16 inch wheels if you can – keep them on 12″ wheels for longer if necessary 12 > 16 > 20 > 24 > 26 > Clown bike
    The ridgeback bikes are excellent.

brassneck

I’d go with 16 inch wheels if you can – keep them on 12″ wheels for longer if necessary 12 > 16 > 20 > 24 > 26 > Clown bike

I’d echo that – mine have gone 12″ ‘leg bike’ as they call it to 16″ pedal bike without issue and they aren’t the tallest. In fact, the 4 year old can and does ride his older brothers 20″ and vice versa… the elder thinks his old single speed is more BMXie 🙂 He outgrew the 16″ in 2 years.

mtbfix

Worth bearing in mind that the bars on the Islabikes allow for a certain amount of reach adjustment as kiddy grows. Plus their brake levers are extra dinky, for small hands. And it comes in hot pink for the coming range (see the earlier thread today).

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Lots to look at,

packer
    Free Member

I’d go with 16 inch wheels if you can – keep them on 12″ wheels for longer if necessary

The Specialized Hotrock 16 is a great bike, and due to it’s low-slung frame design it actually has a lower standover height than many 14″ wheel bikes when the saddle is at it’s lowest position.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I like the look of the Specialized but would prefer her to get used to proper brakes rather than a coaster brake. Does this seem sensible?

nmdbase
    Free Member

CNOC 14 is a great little bike, when it turned up I was more excited than when I got my bike delivered!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have 2 very very good condition hot rock 14″ in the pink/purple colour for sale. Was going to put them on eBay but would take £60 each if interested. Just to counter the arguments above the 16″ may be the similar height but it is much more stretched out/longer. My daughter has taken 6 months to get to an acceptable size to ride the 16″ and even then it borderline and she can’t do half the things on it she cannon the 14″ which is why we were keeping both.

Sadly my son wants a bmx so after buying 5 hot rocks over the years it is stopping now.

At £60 you could use it for 6mths plus then sell for not much less

Email if interested

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh and the coaster brake is fantastic. My daughter can outside her older (9) brother because she has so much control. Full speed, skid around bend then back on the power. It’s amazing to see. Back tyre is still ok 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Dual post

packer
    Free Member

I think the coaster brake is great for kids under 5 as their hands are pretty small. They seem to make the switch to normal brakes pretty easily when the time comes.

cyclistm
    Free Member

littlesthobo – very interested – any pics?

nickswolves
    Free Member

Worth checking out the childrens bikes in Decathlon Store if you have one near you.

TiRed

Anything else I should consider?

Wait a little longer. I’m with geoff on this. 14″ bikes are a bit of a waste of money, as you’ll need the 16″ soon enough. The Hotrock is a lovely bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘14" (wheel) kids bikes’ is closed to new replies.