• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 14 inch inbred. Would it build into a 24" bike.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above really.

Would it cause any issues.? Has it been done.?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Tyre clearance (do the chainstays go out a bit before they go back in again?) and 1" lower bb i'd have thought.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Can't see it causing any real problems. It'll drop the BB but that might even improve things (not that there's owt wrong in the first place), otherwise the relationship between the wheels remains the same as with 26".

I've flitted between 24 and 26" wheels before and to be honest haven't had any problems or even noticed that much difference. The only problem I found with 24" wheels is the weight of the things … but they are built for a certain purpose. I must say there is a certain 'directness' with 24" wheels which I like.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What would you want to use it for?

If its for street/jumps then it might not be great, the back ends are very long compared to proper 24inch frames.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It's for the daughter.

br
    Free Member

I did have trouble when buying a new set of 24" wheels for my son, as the rims available were distinctly 'wide'.

Also look at a pair of short crank arms.

mamadirt
    Free Member

As said above, I reckon the back end would be waay too long for 24's. I did similar a good few years ago with a DMR Sidekick frame – fitted super-short 24" rigid forks too. It was the nippiest thing ever around Cwmcarn and I'm ashamed to say it's the only bike I've ever managed to ride the Wentwood D/H course to to bottom 😳 . . . maybe it was the super low confidence inspiring b/b height . . . I don't know. Have to say though, despite running 165mm cranks, pedalling while cornering was definitely not an option.

br
    Free Member

My son has two 24" bikes, a Norco B-Line FS and a Dr Jekell (26 or 24).

He uses the Norco for DH etc and the Dr Jekell for 4X and jumps, but I reckon the Dr Jekell would make a decent all-do bike – its alloy and light.

He's about 4' 6".

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I've just had a look at the GF 14" inbred … tyre clearence should be fine, plenty of room.

I also just realised that Conti' do explorers in 24" so she wouldn't need to be lugging the heft of jump tyres or high roller 2.7 super tackys!

br
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8 (in 24") for the rear?

br
    Free Member

Just had a look; the 24" Deore/Rhyno Lite wheels I got from CRC for my son weighed 1.06kg front and 1.18kg back, running Kenda SB8's tubelessed with Stans.

So a bit heavy, but he'll never bend them.

As an aside, the builder 'Lyndsey' (according to the paperwork) put the cassette on with so much force it took two of us (and a breaker bar) to get it off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘14 inch inbred. Would it build into a 24" bike.?’ is closed to new replies.