Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • 14 Bike Co (warning: sisters jeans content :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

yep, should have brakes, even on a fixie… actually, wouldn't it be against the law to not have them? you'd have thought so…

atlaz
    Free Member

I am absdolutely not an engineer, but at road time trials down my way you will see a significant number of people on fixed gears, but no-one on single-geared freewheels. I have no idea whether whatever these guys think they're getting is correctly described as "efficiency". 😛

Well that's just it. I'm trying to understand what this assumed efficiency is 🙂

My thought process reaches the assumption that other than a small weight saving, there's no reason at all why fixed would be more efficient/faster/whatever than singlespeed. Unless there's a Derren Brown-esque "wisdom of crowds" which makes bikes go faster if people think they do.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Go forth and try instead of chunnering on and trying to work it out:lol: Fixed is a whole load better than ss on the road I don't know the exact science but it's true.

PJ266
    Free Member

My fixed gear will have brakes, its a fairly small minority who choose to ride fixed gear with no brakes.

juan
    Free Member

Well the whole messenger scene seems to be able to do without brakes quite nicely.
    Down to skillz?

james-o
    Free Member

fixed wheels have less of a 'dead spot' feel as the rider and bike's momentum lifts the rear facing crank and this is a big part of why fixed wheels win autumn hill-climbs, plus they handle torque better and while pedalling, will be slighlty more efficient as they are more direct. obviously over a long ride they won't use your energy as efficiently as a geared / freewheel bike, but the transfer of energy will be a fraction more efficient over a set / short distance.

walleater

james-o – Member

mountain bikes were a london hipster courier thing too, back in the 80's.. look where we are now. i love the different styles of these bikes and it's getting more people into bikes, it's all good..

it'll calm down a bit after the fashion victims move on, but these bikes will stay around now, i reckon it's like the start of skating or bmx all over again, interesting times!

(i still prefer SS with drops to fixed and little bars tho)

God, that brings back memories…..of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQTgjjyL5Y

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘14 Bike Co (warning: sisters jeans content :-)’ is closed to new replies.