• This topic has 65 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by smurf.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • 14" 26er build for a 10 year old
  • stormtrooper
    Free Member

My 11yr old lad (he was 10yrs in the pic) on a XS Curtis Super X we built up together. The frame was from eBay, the back wheel was an Alfine 8 I had hanging round (less controls to worry about) and the rest was mostly from spare parts

It’s a bit heavy but he can still climb like a mountain goat. Upgrades will probably be 1×10 and suspension forks as his skills progress but but he loves it for now

The brake cables have since been shortened…

hanchurch
    Free Member

Sunday evening bump, still looking for other people’s kids builds as inspiration!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

My son is on a second hand Octane Zircus with a 100mm Reba. He was 11 when I put it together and he’s had it for a year. It’s a jump bike, so very low seat height and pretty short reach and reasonable weight.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I got my son a 2nd hand 13.5″ XS Rockhopper when he was 11… the basic build was pretty good (mostly Deore, with Dart 3s), but it needed a short stem and flat bars to get the front low enough, and the usual better pedals. Pretty soon we swapped the Darts for some Rebas which are worlds better and hopefully will make the next bike. He’s also now got XT shifters as the action is lighter and easier.

Now that he’s nearly 14 I’ll be looking for a new frame.

bugeye
    Free Member

Our 11 year old is just out growing his XS Inbred so I’m going to move all the stuff over to a small 456. Frame, forks and wheels secondhand from a friend. Went for new XT brakes and drivetrain for short cranks and reach adjust on the brake levers. Started off standard 1 by 10 but I landed up fitting a 42T expander. Also for a bit of fit and forget. If the mtb bug hadn’t bit I’d of had it 😀

MoreCashThanDash

12 yr old MCJnr just moved onto a 16″ Inbred.

He is nearly as tall as me mind.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

my nephew is 5ft 2 with a 27cm inside leg.

How does that compare to the frame sizes you guys are using ?

I was thinking originally of a 14 inbred.

MoreCashThanDash

14″ Inbred would just about fit – they are a bit long, but a short stem and an inline post should be OK.

Seems to be crank length that is problem with younger ones

bugeye
    Free Member

My son is 4’11” and riding a 14″ Inbred in the picture. The saddle is a lot lower than usual (for obvious reasons). Tried him today on my 16″ 456… fitted fine. It’s a bit on the small side for me at 5′ 7″ so I’d say if your nephew if 5’2″ then 16″ would be better than 14″.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

that’s a 16 456 vs a 14 inbred ? And the 456 has more standover and/or is shorter ?

Tiger6791

Shameless plug but I’ve got a perfect set of forks for this I need rid of.

Mint 26 Rebas RL Solo air, steerer is so short they’ll only fit a kids bike

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Reba RLs – pah – my nephew won’t go lower than SID RLTs…

bugeye
    Free Member

Yes 14″ Inbred vs 16″ 456.

The 16″ 456 had enough standover for him and that was with a 140mm fork… I’d move his 120mm on to it. Length was ok but touch long with and 80mm stem, again I’d move the 50mm over from the Inbred.

TBH I wasn’t expecting the 456 to fit… really just tried it out to get an idea on how long it would be before it was OK for him. Looking at him in the picture (not normally a view I get) I’d say the frame (Inbred) was look a bit short….

poah
    Free Member

Sunday evening bump, still looking for other people’s kids builds as inspiration!

I did think about going down the route of a small 26 frame when I was replacing Lewis’s blast but wanted to get him an FS bike and there isn’t anything out there for his size so went for a Transition Ripcord. 100mm reverb, 1×10 with 40t expander, crest rims, haven bar and stem, slx brakes, SID RCT3.

we don’t get out as often as I would like sadly. He perfers the skills park at comrie and the freeride park at glentress to trail riding at the moment.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a 13.5″ hardrock frame for my 10 year old – have a 1 x 9 groupset and most bits. Need wheels, brakes and forks (which I have my eye on) and we’re good to go!

hanchurch
    Free Member

Ok am officially looking for something now, frame or full build if anyone has something kicking about that they think would fit the bill please let me know.
    Would need to be:
    13″ – 14″ frame
    26″ wheels
    Disc brakes
    Thanks

hanchurch
    Free Member

Sunday evening bump, anybody got anything?

i_like_food

Loving these bikes. My 6 yr old son isn’t ready for a 26″ frame so I’m building up a Genesis 24″ wheel for him for this summers trip to the Alps and we’re both desperately hoping he’ll grow enough to ride it (which is a very good way to get him to eat vegetables and go to bed early, as “we only grow when we’re asleep”).

Last summer he rode his Islabikes Beinn 20 at Val D’Isere and Tignes and, apart from savage arm pump, was ok on the green singletracks… but bigger wheels, disc brakes and larger volume tyres will really help. I picked up the Genesis to build it up with lighter components and it’s a work in progress (and have a 24″ Spec Hotrock FSR frame for sale if anyone’s interested?).

I’ve done a lot of riding and been lucky enough to ride all over the world. There is still no trail, no ride that’s been as fun as riding behind him down a dusty singletrack.

i_like_food

@hughjayteens – what length are the Sram cranks? Could you email photos to me (address is profile).

Cheers.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

@i_like_food I have decided to use them now – they’re SRAM XCT JR 152mm – only about £15 from a French MTB site. Triple rings but I’ll just fit a single NW. Had decided to just buy another Islabike but managed to get hold of a 13″ Rockhopper frame on ebay so building that up now. May end up as the only kids bike with 20mm axle and a pair of Rockshox Arygle Airs but that’s what I have so I’ll give them a try!

i_like_food

@hughjayteens Ok, thanks. Sounds like a build that’ll turn heads on the trails 🙂

nre
    Free Member

I think hughjayteens means Suntour XCT JR rather than SRAM! 😉

Have used them on 2 builds for my kids, around £20 delivered (from Germany) on Amazon…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

nre – Member
    I think hughjayteens means Suntour XCT JR rather than SRAM!

Have used them on 2 builds for my kids, around £20 delivered (from Germany) on Amazon…

Erm yes, that’s what I said! 😳

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Erm yes, that’s what I said!

no it’s not!

@i_like_food I have decided to use them now – they’re SRAM XCT JR 152mm – only about £15 from a French MTB site.

Rickos
    Free Member

I think I’m looking to sell my 16 inch Santa Cruz Chameleon (26 inch wheels, horizontal dropouts, etc.) if anyone is interested in a rolling chassis – frame + FSA headset, Hope Hoops (DT 4.2 rims) with tyres and X-Fusion forks.

I was going to keep it for my eldest, but he’s at least 5 years away from being big enough, so it seems silly to keep it that long.

E-mail in profile.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fFDGwj]The red bikes[/url] by Rick, on Flickr

smurf
    Free Member

It’s a bit smaller than some of the others on this thread but I built up a 20″ full sus bike for my daughter.

Full build thread here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/build-report-custom-scott-spark-20-junior

Since these photos were taken it’s now got a longer seat post and different saddle and I might change it from 3 x 9 to a 1 x 9 transmission before we use it again.

I managed to pick up a Transition Ripchord 24 in the sales at the end of 2015 so I’m currently buying up a few bits to lighten that up e.g. tyres, and I’ve loads of spares like lighter rotors, bars, stem, pedals ready to be fitted.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘14" 26er build for a 10 year old’ is closed to new replies.