Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 13deg out – shorts on longs?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Arghhhh – can’t decide! (60 mile road ride)

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s gonna warm up. I cooked my tits off yesterday by putting my lightweight coat on pre proper biking.

scotroutes

13 degrees and you’re considering longs? I bet you drink shandy too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

This is why God invented knee warmers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shorts, put some effort in.

dawson

That reminds me, I really should look into getting some 3/4 bibs….

I’d say shorts on the basis it’s supposed to brighten up later. Your forecast may vary

johndoh
    Free Member

Feels really cold now (although I am just sat around doing nothing)! :-/

stevious

Depends on how you’re planning on riding. If you’re out for a relaxed cruise then longs might be better but if you foresee a few efforts you’ll porb find the longs a bit uncomfortable.

onandon
    Free Member

Get some thin tights for this temp. They come in handy later in the year under or over long bibs when it gets a around 0.

tall_martin

Shorts.

10 is my cut off for anything other than knee pads on my legs, and I’m soft 🙂

TiRed

bib three-quarters. The most versatile cycle bottoms. Yesterday I went out at 06:30 at 12C and an expected 19-21C by noon. Wore Roubaix bottoms and race top with compression underlayer and a gilet for wind chill. Whilst I was a little warm on the return, Ionly really overheat whenmy core gets too hot. So the combination was perfect. A roubaix top would have been too much!

jeffl

3/4 length shorts. Bibs go on underneath when it gets down to about 5 degrees Celsius.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

13 degrees and you’re considering longs? I bet you drink shandy too.

‘sfunny! I say the same about the complainers when the temp rises above 25ºC.

oafishb
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a pair of honest leg warmers? Or knee warmers, if you must.
    Good dod.

And 3/4 bibs look terribly gauche, boys.

bigblackshed

Ah, we’re talking road riding here? Like real riding but minus the fun.

Shorts until it’s 4C, then toughen up princess.

Shakes head, muttering under breath……

doris5000

shorts. i generally take 10 or 11 as my cutoff, and i’m a scrawny weakling

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is there maybe another reason you don’t want to go riding 😉

MoreCashThanDash

This is why God invented knee warmers

Invented for the 7th day, iirc.

mattyfez

3/4 shorts all year round, if your getting cold you’re not trying hard enough! Although I do put padded inners and gloves on for winter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Below 13 degrees cover your knees (sure I heard that somewhere rather than just making that up).

Although today it was 18 by the time I was heading back so shorts all the way!

mattyfez

Nah, between zero and 5c, fair enough, 13c is warm if you’re riding, perfect temp so you don’t get too hot. Been out in just shorts an t-shirt today.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

3/4 length shorts are your friend. Otherwise full leg.

prawny

If it’s forecast to be under 15° then knee warmers. Tights don’t come out until it’s not going to be getting about 5-8°.

Shorts if it’s 15°+ or going to be for the bulk of the ride.

lunge

Knee warmers if it’s just a lazy ride, shorts if you’ll be “making progress”. It was shorts, arm warmers and a gillet for the first hour or 2 for me today.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

temps in the low teens, I will put 3/4 thermo bib tights on, toasty knees 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Baking hot. I don’t cover up until sub zero, and even then it’s just base layer stuff from my ski wear.

Can’t say I feel cold in my legs much anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

temps in the low teens, I will put 3/4 thermo bib tights on, toasty knees

I think this is the crux of it, no one ever complains of knees too hot, so why be uncomfortable.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I was glad I went with the shorts – even when we had a downpour I didn’t really feel cold (apart from the faff stops).

grannyjone
    Free Member

Longs. Shorts are too cold. Went mountain biking yesterday and it was about that and with rain as well on and off and it’s uncomfortably cold when you set off into that at 10-20mph +

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and don’t forget to thread the string for your mits through your top before putting it on 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘13deg out – shorts on longs?’ is closed to new replies.