Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 135×12 rear frame owners – is this normal?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

This is the first time I have built a bike with a 135×12 rear axle, and I was perplexed to find the rear dropouts wider than the hub by about 3mm.

It goes together if I squeeze and thread the axle through at the same time, but I’m still a little anxious that the frame may not be properly aligned.

Is this normal? It’s a Mondraker BTW. I’ve owned a couple of bikes with 142×12 rear ends and they didn’t have any issues like this. QR rear end Mondrakers were fine too.

Jeffus
    Free Member

my Orange 5 was slightly wider than the hub not by much never took much notice but when i tightened the maxle up you could see it pull in very slightly, don’t think it was out by more than 0.5 to 1.0mm

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another Orange here (Blood) and the hub is a near perfect fit between the dropouts.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hi mate, I’ve not paid it much mind, but pretty sure there is no real gap and certainly no need to squeeze on my alpine. Sounds a bit iffy to me.

scary_carey
    Free Member

My Mega has a similar issue, when its bolted up its fine. I do wonder though if pinching the frame together does put extra pressure on the frame bushes and bearings? Its had the rear end replaced and thats the same so I assumed thats the way its supposed to be.

rocketman
    Free Member

My Voltage has a 135×12 rear axle and as above there are no gaps anywhere. The hub slides into the dropouts like a stem slides onto a steerer and the axle is a very snug fit it has to be perfectly aligned before it will go through but when it does it goes through in a very satisfying way.

jinky
    Free Member

My Gyro has no gaps and fits pretty perfectly.

nols
    Free Member

HAve an older model Blindside and its snug, no need to pinch it together. Sounds like you’ve either had your rear end splayed (fnaar) or its possibly poorly aligned from the factory. Try removing the shock, put a wheel in the frame and make sure the wheel takes a vertical path as you cycle the linkage through its range of motion. Its a pretty common manufacturing defect and one which a lot of people wouldn’t notice – however it will over time splay the back of the bike. Straight forward warranty if its either and its new. Take it back and claim shenanigans…

charliemort

yeti 5 has 142mm wide drop outs but adapters / chipset allow you to use 135mm hub (I think)

could it be something along those lines?

smiff
    Free Member

it’s the new 138mm standard.

nah, it’s just bad QC.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Poor QC was what I was thinking.

New frame so shouldn’t have had anything up the rear.

iain1775
    Free Member

My Commencal meta was about 1mm each side, know a few others where the same

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘135×12 rear frame owners – is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.