Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 135mm vs 142mm whats the advantage?
  • dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading the preview of the Orange 5 29er and was wondering what the the advantages are of 135mm spacing over 142mm rear spacing.

Can’t find anything on this.

thepodge
    Free Member

It’s the same thing, 142 just makes it easier to put the wheel in

dirtydog
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

So it’s basically the same as the Syntace x12 system where the hub end caps sit in machined drop outs rather than float around like the current 135mm Maxle design.

If it means less faffing getting the wheel lined up then it can only be a good thing.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Yeh, X12 = Syntace = 142mm all the same.

roverpig

So, the Five29 will hit the shops in March. Guess I’d better hold off on ordering that Gyro for a while then 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

Cheers fellas.

@roverpig I don’t think you’ll be the only one, I can see a lot of orders come March/April. Anyone contemplating the Gyro will probably put their purchase on hold until they can get a demo of the Five29.

Wonder when the Five will be given the same 142mm rear and the 1.5 headtube.

roverpig

I guess it’s going to be heavier than the Gyro though, which is no lightweight.

Do I need 140mm of travel and 66.5 degree head angle for the sort of mincing about that I do? No.

Is it really going to offer any advantages over my 2006 Five for such mincing? Probably not.

Do I want one anyway? Yes (although not in Black).

Am I prepared to lug the extra weight around? Ah, now there is a question that I can’t answer without riding one.

muddyground
    Free Member

My Orange is black and it doesn’t half scuff up – or show the scuffs more than other colours. Don’t mind really, but it gives lie to the reputation of the hardness of the finish on their bikes. As for mass, with my 26″ a fair bit of it is in the wheels and tyres fitted, as I got the limited edition without the Hopes. The front wheel weighs over 2kg alone. Nothing that spending £200 at Superstar can’t cure….. The 135×12 Maxle is a slight faff to fit as it never quite lines up, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. How often do you remove a rear wheel?

oldnick

I’ve gone from 135mmm Maxle (Commie) to 10mm bolt through (Hustler) to 142X12 (Pivot) and whilst it isn’t a big thing the 142 setup is a nice development, will hopefully become a ‘standard’ standard! Like all the other standards…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘135mm vs 142mm whats the advantage?’ is closed to new replies.