Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 135m QR or 148mm Bolt Through??
  • Conespanner

So having got an insurance pay out for my stolen Cotic Soul I’m ready to purchase another Soul.

Going on the Cotic website I’m greeted with a choice of 135mm QR or 148mm bolt through.

So being a wheels on ground, retro minded old fart, is there any mileage in going for the 148mm version, will I benefit from these new fangled ideas, is everything 135mm going to be obsolete in a couple of years? To be honest I’m struggling to get my head around 27.5″ wheels? Any opinions please?

scotroutes

Here to stay I reckon.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah no one has QRs

docrobster
    Free Member

Yeah no one has QRs

Beg to differ.

kimbers

Kahurangi

If you had lots of old kit you wanted to use on the new frame, there would be some possible advantage to staying with 135 QR. For a new bike that would be your one and only, there would be no downside to 148 (aka Boost).

More info needed if you want a solid recommendation.

honourablegeorge

New frame with new wheels, 148 definitely.

cokie

If buying a whole new bike, then go boost. If you have old nice QR wheels, stick with QR.

If you’re firmly in the bimble category, it’s doubtful you’ll feel any of the Boost/throughaxle benefits. I would say the rear wheel is easier to fit though.

Wasn’t there also a geometry update for the Boost frame?

Conespanner

There was some changes to the BFe I think? I’m a small frame so I’m taking the first of the next batch due in at the end of November, so I’m assuming that these will be called the 2018 model with probable changes,there are a number of discounts to be had on the 2017 models, but not in my size.

I had a pre-mark 1 model so any version will be completely new type of ride

bikingbob
    Free Member

Is there really a benefit on boost over 135 QR on a hardtail? I thought it was more about folk wanting to be able to swap wheels between their HT and full suss (where the benefits are clear)?

patagonian
    Free Member

I’ve got both and can I notice any difference……..no. However as you are buying new I’d go with the latest standard but be quick because there will be another one along shortly!

bikingbob
    Free Member

Cheers patagonian
    It’s handy being able to borrow the back wheel of my wife’s bike and it’ll not be long before my son is using 26″ wheels too so sticking with 135 QR keeps things simple. Plus part of the appeal of a hardtail for me is not being forced into the latest trends, although not adverse to new tech as love Procore in the back tyre of my HT 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

My Soul275 is 135×10 DT RWS. I’m not sure it needed more than a QR skewer, but it was what I was running on my old FS when I built it so I kept the idea. The bike as a whole feels less springy than the Mk2 Soul it replaced, but I think that’s down to the bigger seat tube and other frame strengthening more than my choice of skewer.

Up to you really. If it’s all being bought new by the Insurance for you, then whichever floats your boat. That said, if you have an eye to later resale, the newer TA version is a better bet a) because it’s more expensive now and b) because prospective buyers later will probably like the idea of sharing wheels with other bikes they already own.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘135m QR or 148mm Bolt Through??’ is closed to new replies.