Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • 130mm Trail Bike
  • mike17
    Free Member

Its new bike time and I would love a Santa cruz 5010 as I like the idea of fun rather than speed. However the 5010 is out of my price range. What else is there available?

So far I am looking at the Whyte t130, Commencal meta trail and the transition Scout (a bit too heavy).

DickBarton

Whyte T130

chrishc777
    Free Member

My mates scout comes in at 28lbs with pikes and is what I’d be getting if I didn’t go to wales and the alps.

Another mate has a gt sensor with pikes and it rides really well

mike17
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions, I had forgotten about the GT

What sort of kit does he have on his Scout?

Si
    Free Member

Transition Scout. Speak to Pedals in Edinburgh they will see you right

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I have a scout weighing at about 29lbs. sweeps, reverb, ryde trace, 1×10. I don’t think it feels heavy

poah
    Free Member

tranny scout without a doubt

tom.nash

Whyte T130 – awesome value, spec and ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

Vitus Escarpe is cheap at CRC now and has great geometry – possibly a bit weighty though.

leftyboy
    Free Member

+1 Whyte T130 I have the Works and it’s a very capable trail bike

devash
    Free Member

The T130 would be ideal. 130mm is perfect for most UK riding, especially with the bigger wheels.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cube Stereo 140TM is better than the T130.

bigjim

There are some really light Scout builds on mtbr

chrishc777
    Free Member

Dt ex471 on 350 hubs, pikes, sram xo1, reverb, thomson stem and answer carbon bars, nice kit but not overly expensive

fathomer

chrishc777 – Member
    My mates scout comes in at 28lbs with pikes and is what I’d be getting if I didn’t go to wales and the alps.

The Alps I get But why do you need more than 130mm for Wales?

chakaping
    Free Member

why do you need more than 130mm for Wales?

Wales is that country with all the mountains and DH tracks to the west of England, yeah?

fathomer

Fair do’s, I suppose I should think before I post, though there’s plenty of big rocky hills/mountains in the rest of the UK.

welshfarmer

Mate has a Scout. He just got a top 20 time on the full DH track at Fort Bill on it. Think it will be OK in Wales to be fair (which is where he lives and rides most of the time)

chrishc777
    Free Member

I got a top 150 time at fort bill on my 160mm covert, I think I’ll stay the bigger side of 6″ for the alps!

I did ride a 456 on my first trip to north Wales but I enjoy it more on the covert, plus with modern suspension tech effociency isn’t much worse with more travel and weights can be kept pretty close.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

The 2016 Kili-flyer is 130mm great spec for the money too.
    http://www.saracen.co.uk/blog/30/06/2015/2016-kili-flyer-elite

batman11
    Free Member

Intense spider 275 well worth a look. Just had my first ride out on mine no gotta say quick, playful and good fun which is what I wanted

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega?

hardupdad
    Free Member

GT Sensor for me, 2016 bikes have a 140mm fork too. I have been riding the alloy pro for past year and loved it.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

why do you need more than 130mm for Wales? ——-
    Wales is that country with all the mountains and DH tracks to the west of England, yeah?

Owned 😆

hatter

130mm? Cheaper than a 5010? More about fun than XC speed?

Get thyself a Kili!

GHill

Ex-demo 5010? I was in 18bikes today and they had a L 5010 Carbon C for £2400.

wrecker
    Free Member

Struggling to see past this for value personally.
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/73726/Whyte_T130_Works_SCR_2015_Bike

Wookster

I reckon that Kili won’t be far short of 4k!

woodster

I reckon that Kili won’t be far short of 4k!

£3700 I think. Or significantly less when they fail to sell. Stunning looking bike.

2016 Rose Ground Control looks good.

gfrew88
    Free Member

selling my carbon soloHave a look

CheesybeanZ

The Alps I get But why do you need more than 130mm for Wales?

You’ve obviously never been old n lacking in bike skills .

doh
    Free Member

My £1350 vitus escarpe is the best full suss I have ridden but a wee bit lardy. You could get the higher spec 11 spr model a couple of holidays and still be cheaper than quite a few similar bikes.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Give Cam Zink a muddy fox courier and he’ll likely ride it faster than any of us can ride any modern full suss, however I prefer to enjoy riding and never feel held back by the bike! Hats off to the guy in the top 20 on a 125mm bike though! The guy next to me on the megavalanche startline was on a singlespeed hardtail,he either had some serious skills or didnt enjoy the hour that followed our initial nod of heads..

Anyway back to the op I’d be looking at the sensor or the scout, either with 150mm pikes. I’d end up going for the scout as I’m a TR fanboi

Bucko

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/trail-hardtail-27-5-650b/909-2/

Can’t believe it doesn’t come with a dropper though

StuE
    Free Member
    pobaker
    Free Member

+1 transition scout. brilliant bike to ride.

Radioman

Santa Cruz 5010 Aluminium is far cheaper than their carbon version, and a real scream to ride. I bought one earlier in the summer. I agree its still not cheap but Iove the SC suspension. Price wise the Aluminium 5010 isn’t much different to many other similar (and good bikes) such as Transition Scout above… I have a Carbon Nomad but often reach for the 5010!

roverpig

ts new bike time and I would love a Santa cruz 5010 as I like the idea of fun rather than speed.

Funnily enough, I had a demo on the new 5010 today and thought it was more about speed than fun. Probably just goes to show that we are all different, but it’s as stiff as all get out. Great on smooth climbs and pinpoint accurate steering, but you need to make a good line choice or you get pinged from rock to root and back.

If you want all fun and no speed then get a fat bike. More sensibly, the Scout is a good option.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Around that space goes the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt, not sure on UK pricing though, having just looked through the 2016 GT book they certainly pack a lot of value in there, not ridden any yet though.
    Alu 5010 or there were some discounted frames as the new one is out.

DickBarton

Reading a lot of these replies – is everyone thinking the same when they read 130mm Trail bike? A lot of these bikes are over 130mm travel and there are a fair few forks more than 130mm as well – if someone asks for recommendations on a 130mm travel bike, how many are actually answering with a 130mm travel bike and how many are just suggesting the things they like/want?
    130mm to me is front and rear…how many are thinking it is only the rear? And how many haven’t clocke the 130mm travel requirement?
    Slight thread hijack but I’m curious…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘130mm Trail Bike’ is closed to new replies.