• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by llama.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 130mm 29er Forks – what are my options?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Looking for a 130mm 29er fork. Ideally something quite stiff. A pike fits the bill but can’t seem to find 130mm to buy without needing to alter them and ideally I’d prefer not to have to fiddle with them. Think it’s the same case for Fox 34’s?

Any other options?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

130 34’s are available off the shelf, that’s what I got myself. Also listed on the Mojo site #910-01-925

Toasty

Revelations are available in 130mm 29er with a bit of hunting, found a pair on CRC a while back. Quite a lot shorter A-C than Pikes mind. What is the frame made for?

mboy
    Free Member

MRP Stage… Much awesomeness!

Pike is 15min job to swap to a 130mm shaft, as is any Rockshox fork.

Got some brand new 130mm 51mm offset Revelations sat here spare right now as I got carried away and ordered myself a Stage for my Hardtail too. If you’re interested that is…

roverpig

Here you go:

bike24.com

r2-bike.com

danti

X Fusion Trace with 34mm stanchions are pretty stiff and can be internally reduced in 10mm increments.

18Bikes can sort this for you.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

tenacious doug – how are your Fox’s performing?

Gotama
    Free Member

Can’t speak highly enough about my mrp stage forks.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

i don’t know too much about the MRp forks. What bike have you got them on? What type of riding do you do?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

My 34s have been excellent, can’t fault them. My thoughts are summarised in any 36 v Pike head to head test in terms of ride. Obviously you lose a bit of stiffness versus the 36 but especially in 130mm guise the stiffness difference between it and the Pike is neither here nor there, but everything else about it is better.

I rode the Stage, also an excellent fork and worth consideration. I was attracted by the Fox being a touch lighter and also the fact Fox are a known quantity when it comes to suspension whereas MRP are a little less so, not an issue in product quality more after sales, parts availability, ease of getting serviced I knew what I was getting with Fox having owned in the past.

Fwiw mine are on an Evil Following. I’m not the world’s fastest but wouldn’t say I was a slouch either. Had a good workout on all sorts of terrain, last riding trip was up around Kinlochleven and Fort Bill, so they get ridden pretty hard.

Gotama
    Free Member

My stages are on a 2souls quarterhorse. I’m 90kg so they get a fair bit of abuse. Distribution is handled by ison who I believe can also do servicing. Bought the stages because personally I’ve had issues with fox before, 32s, 36s and rp23 and couldn’t be bothered with them. Bought over pike simply because I liked the ramp control aspect and in use its good. Very simple to set up and the come with an idiot user card to help get the pressure right for your weight and riding style. I also read somewhere the other day that the a-c of the stage at 140mm is the same as a pike at 130mm if that has any bearing, albeit not sure if true.

In use I think they ride very nicely, you can set them up supple in early stroke and have them ramp up hard or linear if you wind the ramp control out.

Each fork is put together in U.S. Of A and dyno tested before shipping which I also like for some reason. Have a look on mtbr for reviews. My impression was that mrp put some effort into the quality and design of the stage to try and shed the old white brothers image.

If you’re anywhere near Surrey hills you’re welcome to try them.

bigjim

MRP stage!

Shackleton

Mrp stage here. Excellent fork, well built, highly tunable (and on the fly). Used for 18 months without skipping a beat. Prefer the damping over fox and build quality over rockshox.

Comments about being able to run 10mm longer stroke for same a-c are correct.

damascus
    Free Member

X-fusion uni crown 29er fork, as per above. My friend had them on his split link salsa horsethief and he thinks they are superb.

When he ordered them he got them to lower them from 140 to 130. This is all done internally so no need to purchase an extra cartridge at £80. Also if you change your bike you can change the travel of the fork.

z1ppy

This is all done internally so no need to purchase an extra cartridge at £80. Also if you change your bike you can change the travel of the fork.

What costs £80? The RS solo air shaft is £40 delivered from suspension tuners (or £15 to cut ‘down’ your original) & though I chickened out of fitting it myself (I break delicate stuff), mine cost £25 2nd hand. It would be nice if it was internally adjustable but it hardly breaking the bank.. That said my pikes were more than a £100 cheaper than a set of MRP’s or x-Fusion (I was going for a set of Stages, but they went out if stock, just as my new frame was due), so swings & roundabout…

roverpig

Stages are a fair bit heavier than Pikes or 34s. Whether that matters is up to you of course.

Shackleton

Stages are 1-200g heavier than a pike depending on travel. Apparently it is the metal internals rather than plastic. It is also sprung mass.

roverpig

That’s not a lot, I agree. Somehow 1876g (Pike) sounds so much lighter than 2Kg (Stage), but it’s all in the head really.

daveh
    Free Member

If you like a bit of a bargain a set of XFusion Trace unicrown @ £358 takes some beating. I and 2 mates are now sporting a set ea. 😈

llama

or just get 140mm and no messing about

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘130mm 29er Forks – what are my options?’ is closed to new replies.