Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 130-160mm adjustable singlecrowns?
  • greigb
    Free Member

Evening all. I’m planning to gradually upgrade and change components on my 120mm hardtail, with the aim of eventually swapping them onto a 140-160mm full sus trail/enduro frame. As well as wheels and the associated hub headache, I think the main thing I need to get right is a fork which works on current and future bikes.

I’m thinking something adjustable between 130 and 160mm would be the best solution. The reason I’m asking about it on here is I’ve heard some adjustable forks don’t respond too well to being kept in their shorter mode. I think I’ve heard of Pikes needing work done on them after long periods in short travel mode for example. This might be nonsense but either way, any recommendations for forks that might fit the bill would be much apreciated.

Some additional info; I’d be looking at second hand or budget to mid range new, not £1,000 top end. I’m not fussed if it’s external adjust or needing some spacers moved about inside. Ideally 15mm axle. Apparently my current head tube is 44mm but I’m unsure if this is relevant!

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just buy a 160mm pike, and a 130mm airshaft, then you can change the travel, it’s a 10 minute job. Once you Get the bigger bike, pop 160 shaft back in.

superstu
    Free Member

X fusion I believe can be easily adjusted in 20mm sections without new parts?

nixie

Marzocchi 350 should also meet that range.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

How long a steerer do you need as I’M selling some dual position Lyriks

nickdavies

Don’t worry about adjustability, as nobeer says, just get a rockshox revelation or pike depending on what you need (get a pike) and fit the correct length airshaft. Change when your frame does. Assume your current bike is 27.5?

By the time you change frames it’ll all be different anyway. You can’t even buy a decent non boost fork from rockshox now so don’t expect future proofing with anything.

dallas95
    Free Member

I have some nearly new X Fusion sweeps if you’re interested? 130-160mm travel adjust, 34mm stachiions, site lowers with 15mm through axle. Steerer is 187mm with star nut fitted.
    £200 posted, email in profile.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Top end

Second hand Fox 36s can be adjusted internally. 34’s may be able to be adjusted internally as well.

You don’t want travel adjust as the spring rate and spring curve is always off in one of the settings – plus you have more seals so more friction and more things to go wrong.

New Pikes if you can be arsed sourcing a new air shaft.

Mid range

Manitou or X-Fusion

dallas95
    Free Member
    greigb
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks. I didn’t realise it was an option to change out the air shaft on Pikes. Will need to price that up but sounds good.

Also, I’ve clearly not read a bike magazine or whatever for a while; I’ve heard if boost but thought it was a rear hub issue only. :-/

Thanks to those who offered second hand units, I’m going to review the options before commiting but will keep them in mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘130-160mm adjustable singlecrowns?’ is closed to new replies.