Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 13 Yr Old wants an iphone, HELP!
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

13 year old wants an iphone for xmas, too expensive and not responsible enough me thinks.

Looking at viable touch screen alternatives? any ideas? on PAYG of course

CountZero

Pick up a cheap 3Gs or 4 from fleabay, stick it in a Lifeproof case to protect it. It wouldn’t cost significantly more, probably less than some cheap plastic Android phone.

jekkyl

Say No?

JoeBones
    Free Member

Have already said no, hence my post

Nobby

40 something wants a DB9 for Xmas – is a DB7 a viable alternative?

johndoh
    Free Member

I can top that – a-hole brother in law bought his 8 yr old a 3DS for Christmas last year, was told it was rubbish so bought him an ‘early Christmas present’ – an iPad.

If that was my kid, he’d have had the 3ds taken from him and bugger all for Christmas this year…

sugdenr
    Free Member

13? My 10 yr old wants a iPhone. Seems its common at school, plenty of parental hand me downs from upgrading to 5s.
    I’d give her mine but I only got my 4 – first ever smartphone – this year! 😕

dabble
    Free Member

My 13 year old sister has one, the spoilt little…

My friend uses a huawei, good smartphone, just without a “fancy” name on it.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Follow my eldest son about for a few days – he seems to be scattering iphone 5’s about wherever he goes atm

Kahurangi

Follow my eldest son about for a few days – he seems to be scattering iphone 5’s about wherever he goes atm

He’s selling them for drugs 😆

saleem
    Free Member

My son is 13 and has one, was bored with his blackberry lol, I picked up a second hand one for him but with his own money, he loves it, plenty of apps for him to use, I can face time him which I’m happy about as he lives with my ex. Last year my youngest who’s 7 said that he’d not talk to me unless I bought him an iPhone, he’s still waiting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sister in law’s 13yo wants one (and an ipad) she got an ipod which lasted 3 weeks before the mystery accident that befalls kids where nothing to do with her and anyone she knows the glass broke. Still using it…

Either get the cheapest old one that still works or any of the other 100’s of sensibly priced phones out there 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

We got our youngest an iPod touch at a similar age, although to be honest these days you can get an used 4 (or 4S?) for similar money. Is 13 too young, possibly, 14 ?, 15 ok in my mind

I think the comparison is how much of a payup is the iPhone over a standard phone, if it’s “too much” then its a no, otherwise it’s a maybe perhaps with some goals she should reach to be allowed one.

bigrich

you want it, you work for it. two months before christmas, do jobs around the house worth 25 quid a week, santa goes half come christmas.

I started paying off the lego technic car mid august at 50p a washing up.

saleem
    Free Member

Well the bonus for me was I thought he was after an iPad mini for Xmas bug he says he’s happy just using his phone.

totalshell

3 in my daughter year 6 class.. only 2 kids including DD ( see how i ride with the mumsnet massif) dont have phones.. frankly shes expressed no intrest in one either

wrightyson
    Free Member

My daughter has just had her first phone at 11 and the only reason she’s had that is because its a mile walk to “big school”. It’s a small Nokia thing which battery lasts approximately half a year if not used so its ideal for the disorganised so and so! They have had I pods for a few years tho and they use those for texting/face timing their mates etc.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get a newest model iPhone box and packaging. Buy a way cheaper smartphone. Wrap smartphone in iPhonebox. Capture the whole moment and the look of realisation with camcorder and post here.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Get a newest model iPhone box and packaging. Buy a way cheaper smartphone. Wrap smartphone in iPhonebox. Capture the whole moment and the look of realisation with camcorder and post here.

Surely you should capture the moment on the iphone from the box that you are keeping for yourself?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Jon Taylor – MemberFollow my eldest son about for a few days – he seems to be scattering iphone 5’s about wherever he goes atmHe’s selling them for drugs

Nah . . he works to pay for those – he loses his phone because he’s obviouly still under the influence

xiphon
    Free Member

Get him a 3310. It does calls and txts.

lovewookie

My 13 year old has just decided that Blackberry’s are actually a bit rubbish, after 2 and a bit years of constant use and 3 blackberry’s later.

She developed RSI as a result of constant tappitting on that bloody thing.

BBM is the devil, Facebook isn’t far off. girls are really very very nasty.

That’s my experience, get them android phones, GPS them wherever they go and make sure you keep an eye on what’s being said to them and how they are responding.

I’m still put back by the violent and aggressive language they use with each other, it’s really quite an eye opener.
    Shouldn’t be surprised when parents think it’s OK to stick a 10year old in a room with an 18 rated game all day long and wonder why they think it’s appropriate to threaten their schoolmates by ‘stabbing them in the throat’ (very clean version of along list of sweary violent language)

‘ooh look mommy, I can go to a strip bar a shoot all the nekkid ladies..’

meh.

timwillows
    Free Member

Buy second hand ‘4’ on ebay, make sure it is unlocked and run it on giffgaff. They will probably use almost no credit so this can work out fairly cheap.
    My 12 year old very happy with a second hans S2 and only used £20 of credit since christmas, so currently cheaper option than a ‘basic smartphone’ on £13/month contract. Also, lack of contract removes the mystery subscription worries we have had before.

bigfatman
    Free Member

I don’t think iphone is the best smartphone, why so many people interest in it?

DezB
    Free Member

I got my son a Nokia Windows 8 phone on a contract – £7.50 a month.
    Like this

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Whether or not your child has an iphone they have to be aware of stuff like that and how to avoid it. My older two are now 24 and 20 so have grown up with texts, my space, instant messenger all of which have now been surpassed by facebook twitter snapchat etc.

Each comes with their own problems but it all boils down to making sure they kniw how to behave and importantly how to deal with problems. We are all very open and discuss everything – sometimes that makes me cringe but its the only way I feel to help them through their teenage years

And as they get older some of the other sites they use – well the mid boggles. My daughters best friend is gay and showed me Grinder . . . Yikes!

Whatever phone or computer they have they will undoubtedly find ways to communicate in ways that make you uncomfortable but you can’t keep them in a box – only educate them

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bigfatman I think the iPhone is the best smart phone by a country mile. The only reason to get something different is because it’s cheaper. If the competition was better they would be able to charge more.

@xiphon I make virtually no calls, I send more emails, facebook message or what sap’s than I ever used to do SMS’s. I pretty much only use SMS when I am abroad and don’t have a free wifi connection.

It’s generally the done thing to get a kid what they want for Christmas, not what you think they should have. Dependent on costs etc of course. 13 is not too young for a older iPhone IMO (my 3 daughters are 25, 23, 19 now but I’ve been through all of this with them)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@bigfatman I think the iPhone is the best smart phone by a country mile. The only reason to get something different is because it’s cheaper. If the competition was better they would be able to charge more.

ah most expensive is bestest 🙂

It’s generally the done thing to get a kid what they want for Christmas, not what you think they should have.

Somethings my parents seemed to control by educating me as to what was reasonable to ask for. Make your rules and stick to them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s generally the done thing to get a kid what they want for Christmas, not what you think they should have.”

if id asked for a 400 quid phone for my christmas i wouldnt have a hope in hell of getting it – id have had more chance of being beaten up and down the hall with a slipper.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

+1 Definitely, the role of a parent is to guide not to be dictated to

footflaps

The chap I sit next to at work has agreed to buy a 5s for his eldest daughter, as she insisted that only having the latest model would do. I was gobsmacked!

lovewookie

Whatever phone or computer they have they will undoubtedly find ways to communicate in ways that make you uncomfortable but you can’t keep them in a box – only educate them

Well, yes, and I’m fortunate enough that she talks to us about absolutely everything. I find it more frustrating as she has ASD so has difficulty applying filters to what is right and wrong, so normally ends up mimicking. You can only do so much when her peer groups parents don’t take responsibility for their child by allowing them to act inappropriately.

anyway, this is going off topic a little, sorry.

back to phones, yeah, get them a dumb phone…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

We bought out daughter a 3GS when she was 13. It is now coming to the end of the 2 year contract and she now wants the iphone5. Remarkably the 3gs is still in very good condition (but I did get her an Otter Box cover for it) plus it never leaves her sight. Has find my iphone on it so is great for checking where she is (Sneaky!)

Just get her an iPhone – she’s 13, not 8.

After a few years of i products, I’ve finally convinced our daughter that is a gash platform and she will be going Android next.

wrecker
    Free Member

Just give her what money you’re prepared to spend and tell her to go get one.

Cougar

iPod Touch? All the fun of an iPhone without unfettered access to online accounts and the Internet.

But why would you want to restrict a 13yr old access to the Internet Cougar? Like it or not is how teenagers socially integrate these days. There’s only been the odd minor spat with our daughter that could just as easily have happened in the playground.

I’ve been accused of spoiling or daughter on here before, yet for all her bad upbringing, I’ve never once worried about her unrestricted access to Amazon and iTunes downloads linked to my debit card – that has been the case since she was around 8yrs old and had her first iPod Touch.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Just buy a ip 4 in good nick with box etc you can pick up a minter for about 130 on local facebook phone pages I bought 2 last week with broke screens. 35 for 2x new screens and I sold them both on for 100 profit the pair. All the features of the 5etc without the price tag and go on payg so they cant run up a mega bill.

hora
    Free Member

Tell him no. Sorry what will you do if he asks for something else next? Same again?

Why not compromise, say you’ll get a apple tablet for family use but it can only stay IN the house. He can tell his friends hes got a Apple pad, latest one but in reality its a compromise/shared.

That’s the spirit – make sure you get your child something they don’t want for Christmas and to top it all it isn’t even their present. Jeez!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘13 Yr Old wants an iphone, HELP!’ is closed to new replies.