• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m1kea.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 13 Spitifres taking to the sky this afternoon (weather allowing)
  • wwaswas

If you’re up north…

There will probably never be this many Spitfires in the skies over Britain again.

In a flight to commemorate the beginning of the German air offensive we know as the Battle of Britain, 13 of the iconic fighter aircraft are set to stage a massed flypast – which will split into several smaller groups to ensure that the widest range of people will get to see – and hear – the single most important fighter aircraft of the Second World War one last time.

Although the greater part of the battle was concentrated over Kent and the South Coast, the best place to see the Spitfires will actually be in Hull.

The vintage aircraft, which are from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and private Spitfire owners, will be flying from Humberside Airport this afternoon.

The public will be able to view the Spitfires from the Humber Bridge at 4.03pm on their way up to Bridlington, where they are expected to fly over at 4.44pm.

The aircraft will then return over Hull at 4.51pm.

http://quirker.co.uk/story/tally-ho-massed-spitfire-flypast-will-be-the-best-last-chance-to-see-the-iconic-plane-in-action

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, I have to say looking out the office window, that if if they come south anytime soon they will be greeted by an Ark, some sheep, some cows and other assorted animals all jostling up a ramp or two.

😐

jambalaya
    Free Member

What a magnificent site and sound that will be !

Indeed bikebouy we where driving to Gatwick earlier, a boat may have been a more suitable means of transport

nbt

thanks, mum and Dad are over that way at the moment so just let them know, they might catch it. Shame I can’t

stewartc
    Free Member

the single most important fighter aircraft of the Second World War

There are some Mustangs also involved?

wwaswas

yes, and Hurricanes and probably at a point where they bought time for the Mustangs to become relevant to the proceedings.

midlifecrashes

Just seen four overfly Doncaster, heading south towards Finningley, 4.45pm. Ta for the heads up, if I hadn’t known they were flying I wouldn’t have investigated the noise.

CountZero

the single most important fighter aircraft of the Second World War one last time.

Often trotted out, but rather dubious claim, this. The Hurricane was a better all-round weapons platform, and could take more punishment due to its structure. The Spit was more fragile, and couldn’t carry as wide a range of weapons.
    However the Spit was faster and a better air-superiority fighter.
    And the Mustang was even better, with a far greater range allowing it to be used for bomber support.
    So really, a flight involving the maximum available number of all three would be even more spectacular.

iain1775
    Free Member

The four doing the East Midlands loop must have used the three transmission training towers in our yard at work as a landmark to signal their turning towards the city centre, had a great view of them looping round from the top of our fire escape

On a different note I replied to the local papers Facebook post giving them details of the flying route off the RAF’s twitter feed, they subsequently thanked me, updated their original story to include the info and now appear to have blocked me from making any further comments on their FB page, odd behaviour censoring someone for trying to be helpful!

slowjo
    Free Member

Much as I love the sound and look of Spits, I have a very soft spot for the Mosquito…just phenomenal.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Up until the Battle of Britain the German kit (tanks, guns, planes) was better than anything we had. The Spitfire changed that and it was a huge physiological boost as well as a tactical one. The Hurricane was a superb workhorse and responsible for many more kills but the Spitfire was something very special.

@slowjo yes me too re the Mosquito

theotherjonv

Another big flying day today from Biggin Hill – anyone know where the flight plans are? If they are anywhere near i’d love to see the 8 flying over Sussex and Surrey, but the only description I can find is

The day will be marked with three flight formations:

Grice flight: Eight aircraft will head south and west to fly over Surrey and West Sussex to the Solent, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and returning via Dunsfold

Mortimer flight: Eight aircraft will head over Eynsford, Chelsfield, Detling, Farningham, Downe and RAF Kenley

Hamlyn flight: Eight aircraft will fly over Sevenoaks, Yalding, Ashford, the former RAF Hawkinge with a special salute over the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel-Le-Ferne on the white cliffs of Dover

(although why i don’t know. A single Spitfire and a Hurricane at armed forces days blew up quite a lot of dust in my eyes)

sobriety
    Free Member

the single most important fighter aircraft of the Second World War one last time.

How about ‘the single most important aircraft engine of the Second World War’

Spitfire – RR Merlin
    Hurricane – RR Merlin
    Mosquito – RR Merlin
    Lancaster – RR Merlin
    Mustang – RR Merlin (ok so it was badged as an Allison, but it was the same engine, and the early pre-Merlin Mustangs were pants in comparison)

NigE5
    Free Member

Grice Flight will be taking the route between Biggin Hill and the Isle of Wight. Expected departure is 13.00 local arriving over Ryde Isle of Wight at approximately 13.27 and then returning along the same route.

The towns & villages listed below are within 1.5 km of the intended route.

Leg 1 – 13.00 to 13.07 (13.31 to 13.38)
    Chelsham
    Warlingham
    Caterham
    Chaldon
    Buckland
    Betchworth
    Brockham
    Dorking
    Friday Street
    Abinger Common
    Sutton Abinger
    Holmbury St Mary
    Peaslake

Leg 2 – 13.07 to 13.11 (13.27 to 13.31)
    Cranleigh
    Dunsfold Aerodrome
    The Green
    Alford Crossways
    Northchapel

Leg 3 – 13.11 to 13.19 (13.19 to 13.27)
    Lurgashall
    Lickford Up
    Easebourne
    Midhurst
    Woolbedding
    Stedham
    Minsted
    Ingrams Green
    Didling
    Treyford
    North Marden
    Hooksway
    East Marden
    Marden
    Compton
    West Marden
    Forest Side
    Rowlands Castle
    Havant
    Drayton
    Portsmouth
    Gosport
    Alverstoke
    Ryde

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The early Mustang did use the Allison engine and wasn’t up to much. The British re-specced it with the Merlin – badged as such and it all went from there.

I think the Spitfire’s claim to fame in the ‘most important fighter’ context is the fact that in various marks it was in service throughout the war as a front line fighter which neither the Hurricane nor Mustang were. Don’t disagree with the above comments though.

theotherjonv

Bum. About 15 miles too far south

gobuchul
    Free Member

Nig – Where did you get the detailed route from?

I am near the Hamlyn flight and would like to know the detail.

NigE5
    Free Member

Via Surrey traffic police twitter feed they got it from a face book page
    Just did a bit copy and paste 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers Nig

I have a camera, am about 10 miles south of the route but have an ‘important’ meeting at 1PM.

Guess what I’ll be doing…………….?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘13 Spitifres taking to the sky this afternoon (weather allowing)’ is closed to new replies.