Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 12v Lighting suggestions for a man-cave
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Looking to get some decent lighting into a shed that’s about the size of a single garage.
    No power there (or possible) but I do have a 75ah leisure battery that could be used. I’m presuming that LED is the way forward but has anybody set up a similar system? If so what lights did you use?

Stoner
    Free Member

SMD strip from eBay is good for fill light. Very cheap.

Probably not quite good enough for spot.
    Ive used SMD strip in the kitchen (under cupboard stuff), and have some strips on a transformer in the shed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stoner do they need a driver or just direct connect to 12v supply?

nickjb
    Free Member

They go straight onto a 12v supply. Just cut to length every 3rd LED. I use them for work all the time. Get the waterproof ones. I’ve got LED spots in the batchroom which give a nice light. DealExtreme sell them cheap, again they got straight onto 12v.

sharkbait
    Free Member

OK, nice one.
    I’ve got a worktop with cupboards over so I could attach the strip under the cupboards which would be good, but I presume they’re not bright enough to light the rest of the room if fitted to the ceiling which is about 8′ high?

RustyMac

I have been thinking of something similar, my plan was to use common and garden gu10 halogen down lighters with led bulbs. I figured I could put the lamps where I want them and the bulbs and holders are easy to get hold of.

Stoner
    Free Member
    Dangerboy
    Free Member

I have some of these running off a 12V battery in my man cave:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-3528-Warm-White-120-LED-m-Strip-Dm-Pow-Waterproof-/230743963371?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Night_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item35b96976eb

They suit my needs. The dimmer makes a hell of a din though, so I generally just don’t plug the dimmer in.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This looks pretty good for worktop lighting

Stoner
    Free Member

sb – i have some of those i dont use. yours for free. pm me

BrickMan

You can get strip fluro tubes in 12v can’t you? Or aren’t they all 12v and run on their own internal transformer?
    A pair of 4′ strip lights will light most things up.

Failing that I have a small pile of nearly new 12v fluro tubes inside bulkhead cases for going inside electronics cabinets, their about 40w each equivilent, so not massive, but a few dotted around make a huge difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘12v Lighting suggestions for a man-cave’ is closed to new replies.