Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1.2tsi seat engine advice please
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking at getting a 2nd hand leon in the 1.2 tsi engine, presently looking at deals on 2 cars both same age 2103 one done 30k other 67k. Is there anything that should have been done service r parts change wise on the higher mileage or anything that will be coming up soon that will be more costly? anything other to consider with these.

many thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not sure exactly, but we bought a brand new Ibiza with the 1.2TSI and it only needs a service every 2 years or 20k miles. So the 30k car should have just had its second or due it soon, the 67k car should have had 3 by now.

Timing is by chain which is good or bad depending on how you feel about them, I’m still sore about my “lifetime” timing chain wearing out on my VR6 and taking us 2 full days to replace. (Plus £200 in parts).

parkesie
    Free Member

1.2 tsi can be belt or chain. Around 2013 they changed for skoda. Don’t know about seat. If it’s a chain and rattles on cold starts I’d recommend a new chain and tensioners be done. Seems a rare enough problem that effected earlier versions of the engine though so I’d not be expecting any trouble

jamj1974

We’ve had a 65 plate Ibiza from new. So far a trouble free engine that is smooth and free-revving. We like it.

Bullet

Wife has a 14 plate 1.2tsi Ibiza FR. Has been fine until a few months ago when the boost actuator valve stuck. Car in limp mode and had to be recovered by Seat. Part was replaced under warranty and is a fairly common fault apparently. Might be worth getting part codes and seeing if it has been changed on any car you look at.

Tallpaul

As it’s a VAG, from new the first owner had the option to either specify long life or time and distance service schedules.

If it were my purchase, I’d seek out one that had been serviced annually (time and distance).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great engine for about town, but did find it a wee bit thirsty if ye wanna sit on the motorway at 70 for a couple of hours. Needs high revs.

karnali
    Free Member

is the 1.4 a better engine for town and motorway mix of driving

Philby

I’ve got a 1.4 TSI FR Leon (manual) – IMO its a lovely engine on the motorway, and in town. Where it really excels is on windy country roads where it matches the performance of my previous Peugeot 206 Gti, and is a fantastic car to drive. Can’t comment on the 1.2, but I suppose the choice boils down to your driving style and preferences.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Great engine for about town, but did find it a wee bit thirsty if ye wanna sit on the motorway at 70 for a couple of hours. Needs high revs.

Mrs Jay’s Ibiza seems happy to sit at 70-80 doing 55ish mpg.

FR spec Ibiza has a 6 speed box which I assume would be even better than our SE.

Not sure about the Leon though, heavier car.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mrs Jay’s Ibiza seems happy to sit at 70-80 doing 55ish mpg

Ooft, not a chance. My wife’s 63 1.2tsi fabia would return mid 30s…

iainc

We have the smaller engine (1.0tfsi) in wife’s new car,and so far, all town driving, it’s doing about 45mpg. Still not run in, if there is such a thing anymore, so expecting it to improve further.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ooft, not a chance. My wife’s 63 1.2tsi fabia would return mid 30s

Really. I’m surprised they’re that different. Especially given how hilly it is here.

Ours is new, have they updated them?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Possibly, mine was a fabia Monte Carlo estate, I really liked it, er indoors didnt.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1.2tsi seat engine advice please’ is closed to new replies.