Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 12mm to 10mm step down
  • niallmb
    Free Member

Hi all,

Some wisdom needed please

I’m currently building up an On One inbred 29er from my parts collection to use as a commuter/canal tow path bike. The rear wheel I have in the man cave for this has a 12mm thru axle. My understanding is that the dropouts on the inbred are 10mm.

I cannot find anywhere a step down axle to do it. I’ve seen recommendations for the azonic momentum axle but it seems to be discontinued.

I don’t really want to rebuild the wheel on another hub because this is getting close to being over budget anyway (and also the wheels match and they look good with the bike. I know, I’m picky)

Anyone got any experience/recommendations? any help is muchly appreciated

Edit because apparently the ability to spell has left me

GeForceJunky

What hub?

niallmb
    Free Member

its a white Wheeltech hub. No model number or anything on it. I’ll try and get some photo’s up.

niallmb
    Free Member

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92514334@N03/8417164615/

not the greatest photo but might help

tthew

I’m planning on doing a similar thing to a 15mm front hub to 9mm QR. Going to get an adapter sleeve made. Is the rear hub width the same as the frame?

niallmb
    Free Member

yeah, seems to fit quite happily. What are you going to make the sleeve out of?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Nuke Proof do an axle that converts 12 x 135 into 10QR X 135, I have one some where 😀 just for those moments when you need a wheel, put it safe 😳

andyl
    Free Member

No idea who makes your hubs (they must be made by someone) but do any of the 10mm/QR adapters her look like they might fit?

Jeffus
    Free Member

heres something very similar

Adapter thingy

tthew

What are you going to make the sleeve out of?

Hub and original 15mm QR is made of aluminium alloy, so that’ll do. Could go for stainless, but don’t think I need that strength.

Though Jeffus’s looks just the thing. Going to see if I can find one like that as it’ll likely be cheaper than a custom job.

niallmb
    Free Member

Thats the badger Jeffus, Thank you very much.

JohnnyPanic

As a word of warning.
    I bought the sun ringle adapter Jeffus shows to convert a Jumping Flea 12mm rear hub to QR.
    It works perfectly.

It will not fit in my 12mm DT240 rear hub. Goes in an inch and sticks.
    It’s really tight in the 240 but perfect in the Flea.
    I guess 12mm is not always 12mm.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My NP has fitted a Hope 12 x 135 and a Jumping Flea also no problem.

JohnnyPanic

The same 12mm maxle fits in either but that adaptor only fits in my flea, not the dt240. 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘12mm to 10mm step down’ is closed to new replies.