Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 12mm rear axle
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Hello,

After a rather disastrous introduction to the world of full suss (borked rear shock and no replacements for it) I have what is possibly THE noob question regarding the rear axle.

Do all rear wheels held on by a rear axle have the cassette fall off once the axle is removed?

Its making me dread taking the rear off!

Liftman

No, cassette is mounted on the hub and should stay mounted when you remove the axle

PiknMix
    Free Member

new wheels then, I’m currently using the Halo SAS wheelset with the 12mm rear hub converter, only this system doest attach the cassette to the freehub, the axle holds it together once in place and closing it keeps it all together.

Very annoying when taking the wheel off.

passtherizla
    Free Member

are you sure you aren’t missing some kind of lock ring from the cassette?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, sounds similar to my Superstar rear hub although the cassette and freehub only come unattached when swapping axles so no real inconvenience – I’m a seriel swapper between a q/r singlespeed set-up and 12mm Maxle and the replaceable axles hold the cassette and freehub to the hub body – once the replaceable Superstar axle is fitted, the wheel can be removed from/fitted to the frame easily and the q/r or Maxle can be used normally. Hope that makes sense.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Definitely not missing anything, after the great freehub spacer incident I confirmed with Halo that everything was assembled correctly.

mamadirt i have a service axle that keeps it all together when off the bike, the theory is you push that out with the maxle during installation, only you can’t push it out due to the threads that the maxle screws into.
    As I said its been driving me nuts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘12mm rear axle’ is closed to new replies.