Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 12mm rear axle much better than a 10mm?
  • gcaster
    Free Member

I’m gonna convert my rear hub to bolt through and can’t decide whether to go 10mm or 12mm.
    Obviously 12mm is gonna be stiffer but 10mm QR axles are available from superstar which would be a lot more convenient.
    Basically my question to you is how much stiffer is a 12mm rear over a 10mm? Enough to make a noticeable difference?

Frame is a Meta 55 and came with both the 10mm and 12mm dropouts so that’s not an issue.

messiah
    Free Member

What hub?

gcaster
    Free Member

Pro 2

jam-bo

20%

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve put a Superstar 10mm bolt-through in the back of my Nicolai abd, tbh, I’m not sure I can tell any difference. Mind you, it wasn’t exactly floppy before…

Rachel

Dancake
    Free Member

You will notice a big difference on the meta going from 10mm qr to 12 bolt-do it

There is also quite a difference going 10mm bolt-on from 10mm QR

I found the Meta quite flexy with the QR tbh

gcaster
    Free Member

20%

Is this just a number you picked out of your head with 12 being a 20% bigger number than 10 or is this actually right? I’m not convinced that the stiffness of a bikes rear end and the axle size have a linear relationship. 🙄

You will notice a big difference on the meta going from 10mm qr to 12 bolt-do it

There is also quite a difference going 10mm bolt-on from 10mm QR

I found the Meta quite flexy with the QR tbh
    Much more useful, cheers.

messiah
    Free Member

I asked what hub as I’ve now broken three Hope Pro2 axles running 12mm on my Nicolai. Two with maxle lite in a couple of rides and one in three months with a BETD bolt.
    With a pro2 go 10mm is my advice.

gcaster
    Free Member

I asked what hub as I’ve now broken three Hope Pro2 axles running 12mm on my Nicolai. Two with maxle lite in a couple of rides and one in three months with a BETD bolt.
    With a pro2 go 10mm is my advice.

😯 Say what?! Anyone else suffered this? That’s now added another concern to the list!
    What kind of riding do you do? The Nicolai is a lot more bike than my Meta and I’m only skinny. A little bit more info on this would be grand!

messiah
    Free Member

Quite common in the group I ride with – Two running Orange Alpine 160’s and myself with the Helius AM.

But your right… we are nutters and the bikes get a beasting. Hope say it’s “unusual” but thats little conselation when your cassette falls off for the third time in a year when you take the wheel off!

Older thread on subject.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-rear-hub-12mm-x-135mm-for-use-with-maxle-or-maxle-lite

gcaster
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve had a google and found your thread on mtbr.
    From the sounds of it you guys are using them from some pretty intense DH stuff.
    I think I should be fine with the Pro 2 and if not, I was warned! I’ll definitely be avoiding the rear maxle lite option though, major design flaw there!
    Cheers for the advice.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have an axle and pro II converters spare from the frame. email me if your interested.

i never rode my meta with a qr but i rode other peoples – i alkways thought i could feel a diffeence.

gcaster
    Free Member

YGM

What axles would people recommend. At the moment I’m leaning toward either a Ringle Stiffy or a Superstar hollow one. Anyone know the weight of the Ringle axle?
    Any thoughts.

Trimix
    Free Member

It will be hard to tell, dont forget the wheel will also be flexing as well as the frame. You would have to isolate these before you can start judging the axle.

I bet a stiffer/better wheel would also make a difference. There is way more bending force at the edge of the wheel than the edge of the axle.

neninja
    Free Member

I went for a Pro2 10mm bolt through with a Superstar 10mm QR for my new build.
    I’d be surprised if a 12mm axle was 20% stiffer than a 10mm through axle maybe compared with a regular QR though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘12mm rear axle much better than a 10mm?’ is closed to new replies.