Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 12mm axles…
  • ratherbeintobago

Have I got this right?

Three standards, Maxle light, Fox/Shimano e-Thru, Syntace X12. Major difference between them is the thread pitch, and that for RS one dropout has to be threaded, for F/S there is an axle bolt the axle screws into (which isn’t part of the frame as such), and for Syntace it’s as for RS but there’s a pinch bolt?

Slogo
    Free Member

syntace x12 i think is a 135mm

rs 12x142mm

shimano 12x142mm

ratherbeintobago

syntace x12 i think is a 135mm

It’s 142mm according to their (otherwise thin) product page.

Those pics are useful – thanks.

Slogo
    Free Member

I guess its changed again.

I remember having to make spacers up when i had syntace x12 hope adaptors before i got the correct maxel light 12×142 adaptors

Good luck getting the right ones!

vincienup
    Free Member

I think there are two Syntace 12mm axles…

showerman
    Free Member

and there is the dt swiss version you have over looked

ratherbeintobago

Isn’t that just a rebadge of one of the others (?Syntace) using an RWS axle?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware Syntace invented the 142×12 standard and called it X-12. IMO it’s what 135 standard should have been in the first place, it’s a much better design.

Everything else is a copy/variant of that. Syntace and DT Swiss do two x-12 axles one uses an Alan key to tighten the other requires no tools.
    I think they are all slightly different maybe so as not to infringe Syntace’s original design.

ratherbeintobago

The RS one looks like a real plaster – to use it as per instructions there a lot of faffing with torque wrenches. E-Thru makes a lot if sense IMHO – axle nut means there are no frame threads to strip…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Afaic you just tighten it by hand, they market it as requiring no tools. That’s what I used to do and the clever design kept it tight, don’t know how it worked (my experience is from a 2009 cube stereo with DTSwiss x-12, there was nothing else at 142 at that time )

ratherbeintobago

Afaic you just tighten it by hand, they market it as requiring no tools.

X-12? RockShox fitting instructions need a torque wrench. I doubt many people bother with step 6, mind…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sorry I thought you meant the DT Swiss one (RWS) 😳

mrhoppy

And Canyon use a double threaded axle on the Spectral, both ends are threaded using a fine pitch thread.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Isn’t that just a rebadge of one of the others (?Syntace) using an RWS axle?

DTSwiss was the ‘platform’ for the original Syntace X-12 on the majority of 142×12 bikes (cube in my case back in 2009). I think it was essentially Syntace X-12 with a DTSwiss branded and designed axle, as the one pictured above altho mine looks like this, slightly different handle:

slightly different handle, but essentially the same axle/thread. The E-Thru and Maxle came later I think, plus now Mr Hoppy’s version on the theme, it would seem.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m only familiar with X-12. As already said, there were two axles available. DTSwiss did a ‘tool free’ axle (the one I pictured), Syntace did a slightly cheaper alan key version

It’s all moved on now tho, so many different versions on the same theme.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘12mm axles…’ is closed to new replies.