• This topic has 36 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 127 hours
  • ozzy38
    Free Member

Just watched this and i have to say it is bloody awesome,storyline is fantastic proper emotional all the way to the end with a good moral, which is always let somebody know where you`re going!

j_me
    Free Member

Is it shot along the same premise as 24? And to add to the experience do they give you a swiss army knife and hand cuff you to your cinema seat?

ozzy38
    Free Member

Just bloody watch the film will ya!

stanfree
    Free Member

Would have to agree as I watched it a couple of nights ago. Danny Boyle dosen’t seem to make bad films and James Franco does a great job. The opening scene of Aaron horsing It to the canyon on his bike was good too , though I wouldn’t want to borrow his camelbak. 🙄

ozzy38
    Free Member

aye full off pee yuck!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I really want to see this. what’s the chances of it hitting cineworld in Llandudno though? It pizzes me off that a film like this by a well known successful british director won’t get played on the “fringes” . I don’t care for teenage vampires!

j_me
    Free Member

I will at some point watch it…..and probably enjoy it.

ozzy38
    Free Member

Tis oscar material so get out there and watch it!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just curious if anyone knows if it’s a true account film or just based on the story?. I seem to recall that Tom Cruises production company tried to buy the rights to a similar story, Touching the Void, but Joe Simpson refused on the gounds it was destined to become a Hollywood buIIshit movie.

ozzy38
    Free Member

Tis the true account version mate!

CountZero

AFAIK it’s totally faithful to the actual event. One reviewer said that if you’re at all squeamish dont go to see it. I’ve read about the event and that’s quite enough for me, thank you!

j_me
    Free Member

its all horse pooh

Although when I first read of this I am certain he was a Boulderer/Climber and not a “canyoner”.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just in from seeing it myself. CZ, it’s not actually that bad. There’s a 5-10 minute section that’s a bit gruesome but the rest of it is good. I’m a big fan of DB anyway but was all set to be disappointed – should have kept faith. He’s done a really good job with it. Held the attention of the audience all the way. Cracking soundtrack. And it doesn’t go too Hollywood at the end.

ozzy38
    Free Member

Really doesnt matter if he was a boulder/climber or canyoner! what that guy went through is a test of human endurance to the max and the film portrayed it perfectly!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

J_me, you maybe misunderstood my post, I’m aware of the true story. Just wondered if it had been altered much to fit the Hollywood film model.

From what I recall about Touching the Void, they (Hollywood/Tom Cruise Productions) wanted a add a female interest, have walkie talkies involved for narrative (when the whole story was all about how desperatly alone and abandoned JS felt) and various other things that changed the crux of the story completely. So, JS turned down Tom Cruise and probably lots of money, Channel4 films did it instead as a docu film, on a micro budget.

jhw
    Free Member

Is it fair to say that anyone who rides solo can empathise with the logic that led him there albeit not specifically with failing to tell anyone where he was going

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

B.A.Nana, it does differ from TTV in that it is more of a “movie”. AFAIK (Danny Boyle is interviewed on Mayo and Kermode’s film review; it should still be available as a podcast or listen-again), it is true to the actual incidents. While TTV relied on both the drama and interviews with Simpson & Yates for the narrative, 127 Hours relies purely on effects and direction from Boyle for it’s narrative. There is no vocal input from Ralston during the film.

But, as I’m sure you know, Boyle doesn’t mess about with stories. Obviously he needs to translate Ralston’s experiences into visual effects but IMO, he does it very well.

FWIW, I think TTV is a better film. As a European, I think we connect more with the modest understatement of Yates and Simpson whereas Ralston does come across as a slightly annoying adrenaline junkie at the beginning of the film. This annoyance wears off though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks for that, it sounds like a worthwhile watch. I’ll search for the Mayo/Kermode podcast.

EDIT: still available on iplayer, listening to it now.

Spamf
    Free Member

As Deadly said “annoying at the start”. I haven’t seen the film but got a few chapters into the book before giving up. He came across as a real idiot, jumping (not falling) into the colorado river and should have died then, but for his friends really risking their own necks to save him. I couldn’t feel any sympathy for him when thinks went wrong, and just stopped reading.

Jamie
    Free Member

I was going to watch it, but saw Buried instead for my fix of people being trapped in tricky situations. Will probably get round to 127 on DVD. As although I am aware the film is a process of him going from being a massive cock to less of one, due to what he experiences, I just can’t be bothered sitting through the initial cockishness.*

*…Mark Kermode eat your heart out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jimmers, The Way Back is worth a watch if you’re looking for something to see.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw this last night. Great film. Totally gripping – felt like I’d been in the cinema about 20 minutes! Don’t normally like things where I know the story, but Danny Boyle’s done a great job.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I fancied watching it but saw the trailer and the bloke seemed extremely annoying. He was so gnarly and xtreme. I might watch it just to see the good bit and whoop and holler when it happens. 😆

Still, Danny Boyle does make good films, Sunshine is my favourite.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kev – it’s on all this week at cineworld in LLandudno 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

I saw it and thought it was ok but nothing special. I got a little bored in the middle and thought it slightly too long…(odd given that it’s only a short film at 90mins ish).

If you’ve read about the story I’m not sure the film adds that much.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I didnt think that much of it to be honest. It’s decent, but not great and I would hope that Oscar quality hasnt dropped to this low standard.

As for blood and gore there is very little of that. There is also very little in the way of pain and anguish.

Main character is a bit of a loser to be fair.

hels
    Free Member

I read the book a couple of years ago in NZ it was doing the rounds. Dumb title “Between a Rock and a Hard Place” so glad they didn’t transfer that to the film.

Book is gripping as a holiday read, although I did succumb to the temptation to flick straight to the infamous self surgery with blunt implement chapter.

Looking forward to the film.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i enjoyed it…watched it with my squeamish trainee nurse gf. a bloke at the front fainted his mates had to carry him out….i didnt think it was that gruesome.

who did the ride sequence at the beginning i wonder?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Good film, Read the book and enjoyed it. Boyle did a good job of balancing the actual story with “Hollywoodness” there is a few scenes that are inserted for cinema effect that didn’t happen but the main proportion of the film and the important points are kept true.
    The main character is a bit annoying but he is in real life by his own admission, so only a reflection of this really.

Its not gruesome at all, maybe slightly more than you might see in an episode of casualty but certainly not as much as you’d expect. If people are passing out theres some light weights out there.

I’m just glad we haven’t had the usual comments of “He’s a c%%k, he didn’t leave a note or tell anyone”…. yet

DezB
    Free Member

The main character is a bit annoying but he is in real life by his own admission, so only a reflection of this really.

Yeah, he wasn’t that bad – he is American after all 😉

the Animal Wrangler (ant trainer??) gets a credit, but not the mountain biker!
    Fenton Quinn …. head animal wrangler

iDave
    Free Member

I just can’t be bothered sitting through the initial cockishness.*

this place must kill you then….

MrNutt
    Free Member

is this the film where a shark comes up on the back of the boat?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Kevevs – have you seen it yet? i watched it at cineworld last night (though it was the edinburgh one). it was close to sold out i reckon so maybe they’re showing it at yours?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is it possible to have a spoiler in this thread? For example would it really be a spoiler to say that the bloke cut his arm off and survived?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

all gone

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Racing_ralph If that link is what I think it is i’d remove it.

DezB
    Free Member

It’ll be on Film4 soon anyway.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘127 hours’ is closed to new replies.