Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 12/24 hour race tips
  • Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I’ve entered a 12 hour running race this year (I know it’s a bike forum!) – and plan to do a 24hour next year.

As I know loads of people on here will have at least dabbled in 24hour team, pair or solo racing I thought you might have some tips on what to bring, eat, how much sleep, how/where you slept, what you wish you’d had or done before, what annoyed you etc..

The actual running specific bits like blisters and ass chafing I’m on top of from doing 70mile+ ultras but the logistics of doing laps around a 5km/5mile circuit are new to me! Hope you can help.. runners are usually limited help on sharing ideas 🙂

lunge

Eat well and eat regularly. Energy food will get boring at some point so have other options. Pasta, pork pies and crisps all work well as they offer both different flavour and also different texture to gels. Saying that, caffeinated energy gels are a wonderful thing.

Surround yourself with positive yet stubborn people. At some point you’ll want to stop, that’s a given, so make sure when you do feel that way the person next to you will say “go on, just do a couple more laps” rather than “you’ve done well, have a rest”.

Don’t stop. If you do, you’ll find it very hard to start again so keep going, even if you keep going very slowly.

Drink lots of water, I like electrolyte tablets in the water but either way, keep yourself hydrated.

Have a change of kit, maybe 2. It’s a real psychological boost to throw on some fresh kit when you’re feeling low, personally, I love a pair of box fresh socks but you may find a top or shorts work just as well.

Break the 12/24 hours into smaller goals, 1 hour or 2 lap chunks with a reward at the end. My rewards tended to be food based but you may have other motivations!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Are you in a team or solo?

Team events evolve around beer, cake and bbqs. Solo less so.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Solo, but there will be cake still dont worry
    Interesting you say don’t stop as I was planning short regular breaks. I guess unlike riding you can walk for minimal effort but still make miles

5thElefant
    Free Member

Unless you’re expecting to win you’ll be stopping.

In my one and only solo I did a brief stop every lap to top up drink, eat cake etc every lap. I also had three proper stops for a meal and some light fettling.

lunge

Interesting you say don’t stop as I was planning short regular breaks.

It’s all personal preference but I only stopped for food or a specific reason. Once I’d finished eating/getting changed/whatever, I got moving again, I allowed myself 15 minutes stationary at a time, if I was not finished eating by then I took it with me. I also only allowed myself a set number of stops. I saw too many people sit down for a rest and not get back on the bike and I didn’t want to do that. But then, I like a plan, and this gave me one.

This was my tactic for both of the 24 hour rides I’ve done and the 1 250 mile ride (15 hours ish).

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s a great recipe book called ‘feed zone portables’ which has loads of great ideas for hand hold able and bite size nutritious snacks.

Highly recommended

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

good book tip thanks, I’d forgotten about that!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Don’t race as a team pair and expect any sociability.

Seems obvious in retrospect. 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

In the middle of the night it gets much colder and damper than you’d think. Doing Mayhem in June people are in a summer mindset of shorts and tshirts, but it can be late autumnal at 3am. In other words, take warmer clothes than you’d think.

Hence the stopping – when it’s cold, you get cold fast and won’t want to get moving again. Obv you can grab a few minutes for a stretch and some food but don’t stop too long.

Think about your favourite comfort food, and take some of that even if it’s not nutritionally optimal. I find I often crave really savoury things like sausages and pies; the energy drinks and gels kill off desire for jaffa cakes, jelly babies and whatnot, and I normally have a sweet tooth.

Also made loads of fajita chicken, peppers and onions, and rolled small portions up in half mini tortillas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘12/24 hour race tips’ is closed to new replies.