• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by J273.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 120mm pike – How many tokens?
  • J273
    Free Member

Hi all,

Ive not long converted my 140mm pike to a 120 for use on my Solaris.

Ive currently got 3 tokens but im finding it a little harsh and like to get the feel i had when they were at 140 travel.

Being a lightweight at 10.5st can anyone recommend me some base settings to try with how many tokens and compression settings.

Many thanks

awh
    Free Member

TF Tuned put 2 in my Pikes when they converted them to 120mm. I think they left all the other settings the same as when they were at 140mm.

variflex
    Free Member

On a 29er, with 120mm pikes I would go with at least 4 especially at your weight, damn I thought I was doing well to get down to 70kgs….must work harder 🙂

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have 120 pikes on a solaris. Started with 3 tokens, felt a bit harsh so dropped to 2.
    I’m not sure whether it’s just in my head or not but I’ve had 2 new sets of pikes and when they’re brand new they tend to blow through their travel easier than when they’ve bedded in. I’ve removed one token out of each fork after a couple of months use.

J273
    Free Member

Thanks guys – think ill take one out to start with and see how it feels.

@Variflex so for a lighter weight rider adding more tokens is the way to go would you say?

Aristotle
    Free Member

I have found on my 29er Rebas that not reducing the volume too much, but adding more compression damping is the way to go.

honourablegeorge

Interestingly, a 120mm 29er Pike can take a max of 6 and comes with 3 as standard, whereas a 140mm can take a max of 5 and comes with 2

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

Interestingly The SRAM service manual says 4 tokens in 120mm 29″ Pikes.

Mine, bought direct from SRAM, have 4 tokens I’m ~67Kg and this feel about right for me.

otsdr
    Free Member

Interestingly, a 120mm 29er Pike can take a max of 6 and comes with 3 as standard, whereas a 140mm can take a max of 5 and comes with 2

It has to do with the fact that the length of the air shaft dictates the travel, the uppers are the same; less travel -> more available volume in the uppers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pretty sure my 120mm 29er Pike has four tokens in. I weigh about 12.5st.

Works great for fast riding but can feel harsh occasionally, so I think I know what you mean.

I’d try whipping one token out and see how that feels. Mine are RCs, so I just dial on 2-4 clicks of compression depending on steepness.

honourablegeorge

If they’re harsh, I’d try putting in another token, but lowering the pressure

variflex
    Free Member

j273 – yes add another token and lower the pressure. this should make it less harsh in my experience but it’s all about trial and error as we all likes our bikes setup in very slightly different ways. I reckon u may be able to get the pressure down to about 55…. give it a go 🙂

northerntom
    Free Member

So I experimented for a bit on my old pikes, however they were 160mm on 650b so not the best comparison. On a short travel 29er fork, I assume you want something relatively soft that ramps up quickly? I would suggest running the same amount of tokens but lowering the pressure, making them more progressive.

Usually, the more tokens you have, the lower pressure you can run, because you are essentially reducing the air space, but keeping the same amount of travel. I would look at running up to 30% less pressure, especially as you’re quite lightweight, and see how they feel, then go up from there.

J273
    Free Member

Thanks guys – Ive just dropped another token in and set the pressure for a 20% sag @ 55psi. Ill go for a ride tomorrow and see how they feel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘120mm pike – How many tokens?’ is closed to new replies.